long range short action recommendations

I don't want the barrel to long with a 9 inch suppressor so I'm doing some research in 6.5 and 7mm cartridges that retain the most velocity in shorter length barrels. I'd like to stay around 24" less would be better but if needed I would go to 26" anything longer is pretty combursome with an extra 9" hang in on the end of it. The short mag family does well in the 24-26" range I'm not sure what else is out there to get the most performance without needing 28-30" barrel. I realise most rounds will gain in a longer barrel but some do better then others in shorter barrel applications, I have to compromise max performance with comfortable length. So far it looks like the short mag family fits the bill for efficiency in 24-26" length for maximum down range performance. I have a 26" barreled 6.5 creedmoor that shoots great out to a 1000, with this build I'm hoping for a little more punch at long range. If any of you have any ideas that fit the bill please share, thanks.

6.5 or 7saum would do quite well on a 24"bbl. Should be high 2900s velocity with the 160ish weight bullets on the 7mm, 3200+ I'd guess on the 6.5 140gr bullets...screamer!

6.5 or 7saum would do quite well on a 24"bbl. Should be high 2900s velocity with the 160ish weight bullets on the 7mm, 3200+ I'd guess on the 6.5 140gr bullets...screamer!

only guys I know shooting the short mags, use a 26" longer barrel. Case capacity is in the 30-06 area like the 284 case. Might get by with a 24" barrel length (to get max use of the case volume). On the otherhand a lot of fellows are shooting the 30-06 with a 22" barrel length. I think the 6.5AI might do OK with a 23" barrel and 1 30 grain bullets. The 6.5AI ought to push a 130 grain bullet into the 3100fps area with a very stiff load.

The 57mm improved case will come in slightly less than the 64mm Springfield case. To me a 60mm improved case might be the ticket. Say a 1.85" shoulder length. That one ought to put you close to 3200fps, and cases can be formed out of 25-06 brass (easy to do). Will come in just slightly less than the 6.5/284, but your still going to have to have a long action.

In a short action, and wanting big velocities, your sort of stuck with a long barreled short mag. The 25WSM necked up to 6.5 (can't remember what they call it) might be the ticket. It'll be slower than the 6.5WSM, but work better in a 23" barrel length. I just think the 270 necked down to 6.5 in the WSM will not work as well. I can see an easy 3000fps with a 130 grain bullet. Don't think you can get that out of the 6.5/284 in a 23" barrel without simply blowing a bunch of unburnt powder thru the barrel. Even the .250Ackley would do well. I've shot several 6mm Remington's with 22" and 24" barrels, and with lighter bullets they did OK. The 6.5Ackley is built off that case. The real issue here is the 9" long suppressor. I think your better off without it.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts