Long Range Rifles/Optics for Backpacking hunts

Timber,

Its a Broughton Fluted LWLR Contour , I think total weight will be just over 10 pounds that's with scope , brake and cheek piece .. Mr Redell has been great to work with and for the service RBros provide I'm more then a happy hunter

I have the same rifle but with 28" barrel in a .300 Win Mag from RBbros and mine is exactly 11.0 pounds with ammo and scope and bipod adapter plate. I had to go with a different optic to keep it under 11.0 pounds though (that was my personal limit). But, as I mentioned, now I'm considering replacing my premier with the 4-16x42 ATACR and adding 6oz to the weight of the total package. Choices, choices.

Timber,

Its a Broughton Fluted LWLR Contour , I think total weight will be just over 10 pounds that's with scope , brake and cheek piece .. Mr Redell has been great to work with and for the service RBros provide I'm more then a happy hunter

That should balance out really well. Overall sounds like RBROS is a great place to get a rifle. Always good to get feedback like this.

Once you get the rifle make sure you post up some pics of it!

I have the same rifle but with 28" barrel in a .300 Win Mag from RBbros and mine is exactly 11.0 pounds with ammo and scope and bipod adapter plate. I had to go with a different optic to keep it under 11.0 pounds though (that was my personal limit). But, as I mentioned, now I'm considering replacing my premier with the 4-16x42 ATACR and adding 6oz to the weight of the total package. Choices, choices.

I think the 4-16 ATACR would be a great choice. What turns me away is the price tag. I've got a 5-25 ATACR, and I just don't really want to drop that kind of coin again any time soon.

If you go with the 4-16 I would be really interested in hearing your thoughts once you've had some field time with it.

I agree it's a lot of money, I would only do it if I sell my Premier. Luckily, I also really like that scope, and have had no issues with it past 900 yards, so I'm not in a rush or anything. If it sells though, I'll pick up the new ATACR and let you know! I'm putting a NXS 2.5-10x42 on my Forbes 7 Mag when it ships (hopefully this summer) and would love to have matching reticles and turrets on both guns from the same scope manufacturer. But, not a huge deal if not. As for Rbros, great guns, well balanced, great price point, definitely happy with my decision. And Travis is great to work with.

Travis is great to work with I must email him 3 times a day and always get a reply in a timely fashion .

What's your guys thoughts on the Razor scopes Gen 2?

Like the Razor Gen 2's from the limited time I have looked through them and handled them. Glass looked excellent and turrets felt excellent. Weight was the biggest turnoff for me. They are HEAVY. But, so are lots of quality top tier scopes. I would strongly consider them if I was building a gun where weight was not a constraint.

Timber338----great question and I can't believe that I have missed this thread.
As you know, there are so many tradeoffs between carry versus shoot. Backpack hunting is mostly what I do now and I've had a heavy rifle and I've had a lightweight rifle. I had a 280 Ackley that weighed in at 6 pounds complete field carry. I HATED it---too whippy and it just did not "feel good." I've gone the other way but not too heavy at 11 or so pounds and that was okay but not great although all my rifles are shooters---if they weren't, I wouldn't be carrying them.
I have, as you are, always been looking for the holy grail of lightweight, accurate backpacking specific rifles. It just really depends on what you want to put up with.
All that being said, I have made a personal goal of having said rifle and accessories to come in at "around" 8 pounds. You get a "feel good" rifle that can be superbly accurate. It also depends on what you are going after. I still maintain that elk are just tough and a bigger bullet and caliber is more to my liking.
I also have a lightweight custom shop Remington 700 KS mountain rifle in 338 ultra that I put a mercury recoil reducer in the stock to ADD weight. Rifle with the reducer weighs 7 pounds.
If I had to pick (that is a horrible thought) one of my rifles that I go to for keeping the weight down, I'd have to pick my 6.5 saum which weighs in a 8 pounds complete. Superb deer cartridge and okay for elk although at times I wish I had my 338 or 300 winny.
I've run all sorts of scopes and my longest range "backpacking" kill was a muley buck at 762 yards with a 10 pound 300 win mag sporting a huskemaw 4-12 scope.
One of the scopes I am looking at getting which is a tad bit heavy although not too bad and it will fit in my criteria is this:
Bushnell - LRHS 4.5-18x 44mm
It's got good reviews and has a MOA reticle.
Another really good option is the Leupold VX 3 in the 4.5 x 14 or the 20 power with their MOA reticle. They are lightweight and would fit your needs especially with the MOA reticle.
There. That's all clear as mud.......................

Randy

Actually this year I went trekking around with a Kimber 8400 WSM , with a Gold Ring VX 6 CDS. I didn't see anything worth taking. But I did get some pictures of some awesome views in CO.. after 5 days in woods. I realized more research , better spotter and top tier rifle and scope...

Like the Razor Gen 2's from the limited time I have looked through them and handled them. Glass looked excellent and turrets felt excellent. Weight was the biggest turnoff for me. They are HEAVY. But, so are lots of quality top tier scopes. I would strongly consider them if I was building a gun where weight was not a constraint.

These are my thoughts exactly on the Razor Gen2's. I've only looked through a Gen2 and the glass was superb. With limited money I can't justify a custom build to go with this scope. If I did it would be a big heavy ELR 338.

I'm putting a NXS 2.5-10x42 on my Forbes 7 Mag when it ships (hopefully this summer) and would love to have matching reticles and turrets on both guns from the same scope manufacturer. .

This is funny you bring this up. I'm just about to buy a Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 for my lightweight 338 WSM. Because I have the ATACR on my 300 win mag practice rifle, I have really been considering going with the 5-20 SHV so that all of my reticle match. I wouldn't have matching turrets, but the thought would be to just use the reticle for sub 600 yard shots in any of the rifles. The WSM I would not shoot beyond 600 yards, while the 338 Ultra would be good out to about 1200 on elk and would obviously dial.

Anyways, I've been wondering how much value there really is in matching reticles and/or turrets. So good to see others are thinking the same thing!

Now this is funny. I just received my SHV 4-14X56 MOAR on my 308 win cause I wanted matching reticles with my NXS AND turrets. Sport optics waived shipping and took off 100.00 bucks

Here are some pics of the scope

Attachments

• 308 win 2.jpg
    308 win 2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 111
  • rifle 308 win.jpg
    rifle 308 win.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 105
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.