Sleeping bag for backpack hunts

Nemo all day. They have a unique shaping that is incredibly comfortable to sleep. There are down or synthetic options to cover the weight/cost give and take. They come with a very nice compression bag and squeeze down to a very small amount of space. Personally I go synthetic do to better performance in thse situations there are unforeseen.

I have a couple military grade 1, barely used, bags I use. These are the newer generation bags. They are not the lightest (4lbs I believe) nor the best but they are cheap and work fine. I have a gortex bivy, 1.5 light tent, and 2 person light. What I found is sleeping in a base layer, a light weight quilt, and my bag, I'm good to go with my small tent. Bivy works well too but I've not used it much. The coldest I've done on a November hunt was down to 10F and I was fine, not waking up all night and being irritated. One thing to keep in mind is a decent pad makes a huge difference for a thermal barrier. So, if you want to spend sub 100 or 300 plus, you have a pile of options. Those high end expensive bags are the ticket if you can justify the expense in budget.

Idk about a 3600…you surely won't be any more than a day for sure…That dog won't hunt for a multi day hunt man.
I think it can be done with UL gear and a good strategy. The thing that takes up most of my space is good and it really doesn't take that much more space for an extra 3 days. If it's packed well and densely caloric I think a 5 day hunt can be accomplished out of a 3600ish pack. I plan on getting the Stone Glacier Evo 3300 and seeing how much room for food I have left after all of my gear is in there. I have a feeling that I can get 5 days out of it. If not, I'll always have my 6400 which seems to have way too much room for me.

From my perspective, you have good information here. I've tried both synthetic and down and both have worked. Down is lighter and packs tighter giving more room but on warm nights I sweat in mine. Extra room is nice. In either case, get a waterproof compression bag to keep it dry. I use those bags for everything I pack to insure against bad weather or a water mishap and compressing everything saves lots of room. You will definitely want a larger pack for extended hunts. If you are doing much hiking you don't want to have too much gear strapped to the outside of the bag.
Nothing is better than getting away from the crowd and feeling like you are alone in the wild. Good luck.

Kelty cosmic works well and is pretty packable if you want to backpack any. You can find them fairly reasonably priced, I think I picked up my Cosmic Down 20 for about $100.
I use this same bag for my sheep hunts in Alaska the last 7 years and am very happy with it.
It weights 2.5 lbs ,compresses down very good and has kept me warm at 18 degrees.

I'll agree with those that have said you can fit everything into a 3600....BUT you'll have to spend some $$$ to buy the gear that's compact and light enough to fit. So you could actually save a few bucks by getting a bigger bag. I started with a bigger pack, and over the years have been able to work my way down in size as my gear selection has been refined. I will also agree with others on buy once, cry once on the sleeping bag. It's maybe the most important piece of gear, as getting a good night's sleep can make or break a hunt. Good rest will really increase your odds of success and just make for a way better time. I started with synthetic and eventually moved to down. I was so scared my bag would get wet and I'd be stuck out with no way to stay warm....but nowadays you can just get a really light silnylon stuff sack and your bag will stay dry no matter what. At this point, I wouldn't really consider a synthetic bag. Down is more packable and lighter for a better temp rating. I'd recommend going with a rating about 20 degrees colder than the coldest temp you think you'll encounter. You can always dress warmer in your bag if you get hit with unexpected colder weather.

Zero experience with overnight backpacking hunts and it's something I'm ready to jump into looking for any info or tips for picking out a bag. Not looking to break the bank on one but definitely do not want to skimp on quality. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
68 years of packing have proved this rule out. Im still here. My rule of thumb: always get a bag rated AT LEAST one heat range more than you think you need. Must have a good ground pad. And a water proof cover for the bag (think goretex). No matter what you think, always check the weather just before you depart and adjust accordingly. NO EXCUSES, EXCEPTIONS!

I recall my first trip to the Newcastle, WY, area to hunt. One of the rancher folks commented that guys come with $300 guns and $100 sleeping bags and by the time they leave they wished that they'd brought $100 guns ans $300 sleeping bags.

I think it can be done with UL gear and a good strategy. The thing that takes up most of my space is good and it really doesn't take that much more space for an extra 3 days. If it's packed well and densely caloric I think a 5 day hunt can be accomplished out of a 3600ish pack. I plan on getting the Stone Glacier Evo 3300 and seeing how much room for food I have left after all of my gear is in there. I have a feeling that I can get 5 days out of it. If not, I'll always have my 6400 which seems to have way too much room for me.

I've seen dude on the PCT walking in sandals and a jansport backpack. I'm sure it COULD be done.

I however don't often do UL. It's either expensive or super minimalistic. I can afford the expensive part, but I like the durability of the gear I use, even if it weights a few more ounces. I'm not sleeping in an open tarp, too many frogs, snakes, bugs, rodents etc running about. Wind driven rain is a concern too. The whole point is to get good sleep so I can't put in miles the next morning.

That said a tent takes up have the space if a 3600ish size. There's a sacrifice in everything, but you might make it work if you attach the tent to the outside of the pack.

Idk about fitting 5 days of food, some layers, a sleeping bag, sleeping pad etc plus hunting gear though…that sleeping bag needs to roll up pretty tight…

Last edited:
I've seen dude in the PCT walking in sandals and a jansport backpack. I'm sure it COULD be done.

I however don't often do UL. It's either expensive or super minimalistic. I can afford the expensive part, but I like the durability of the gear I use. I'm not sleeping in an open tarp, too many frogs, snakes, bugs, rodents etc running about. Wind driven rain is a concern too. The whole point is to get good sleep so I can't put in miles the next morning.

That said a tent takes up have the space if a 3600ish size. There's a sacrifice in everything, but you can make it work if you attach the tent to the outside of the pack.

Idk about fitting 5 days of food, some layers, a sleeping bag, sleeping pad etc plus hunting gear though…that sleeping bag needs to roll up pretty tight…
The durability on the UL stuff is a real concern....I had a tent from Nemo that was insanely light/compact and I loved it for several trips, and then I was on a trip where some really bad wind hit. It actually ripped a few seams. That was an expensive way to learn that there is such a thing as too light!

The best way to lighten up your pack is honestly just learning what you can leave at home!

Quality long underwear can raise your comfort a number of degrees. Not the cotton waffle kind, that is about useless, but synthetics. Also good if it is bitterly cold outside. I hike in Spain, and in a November, it gets cold there. Even staying in a hostel, they turn the heat off at 2200. My cheapo EBay sleeping bag and long johns keep me warm.

I agree with Buzby. You can't go wrong with Western Mountaineering they are pricey but every one of my friends use them after having many other bags. I have used a Kodiak in very cold and elevated environments. Only knock is it's size. Too big for a Mystery Ranch Metcalf for 5 nights.