"Mountain rifles" for backpack hunting

I have a couple of lightweight mountain rifles. I have a Christensen Arms Summit Titanium with thumbhole stock that I use for deer, and an RBros 300 Win Mag that I use for elk. Both have Kahles 624i scopes on them, along with rubber slings and Neopod bipods and a small pouch for misc stuff like scope wrench lens cleaners and muzzle protectors.

Christensen TI/TH Rifle (6.5 Creedmoor); Kahles 624i scope; Neopod bipod; and Slogan rubber sling. 146.4 ounces. (9.125 pounds)

Rifle 99.4 ounces; Scope 33.6 ounces; Bipod 4.2 ounces; Sling 6.2 ounces; Talley Rings 5.7 ounces

R Bros Rifle (300 Win Mag); Kahles 624i scope; Neopod bipod; and Slogan sling. 157.6 ounces. (9.85 pounds)

Rifle 105.5 ounces; Scope 33.6 ounces; Bipod 4.2 ounces; Sling 6.2 ounces; Rings 8.1 ounces

24569310188_27fc410c67_b.jpg

I thought I posted earlier about this and Don't see it.
I am not a long range hunter but a sheep/ goat / mule deer hunter and I found the Browning BLR takedown suits me well.I have a 2x7 Burris Scout scope on it and have shortened the barrel and stock. It is 39" long, keeps its poi and puts away in a fairly small pack. I wish there were more takedown options with other makers.

You guys are either rich enough to afford truly light rifles or tough enough to carry a heavy rifle and scope. My first light rifle was a TC Contender Carbine in 7-30 Waters. With a Leupold Ultra light scope and homemade safari sling, it weighed just over 6 lbs.
Not an elk rifle, but I killed 4 Barbary Sheep with it. It was limited on range. Then I purchased a Browning A Bolt Mountain Ti in 7mm WSM. 5.5 lbs bare. My longest shots have been 340 yards on elk, and both dropped practically in their tracks (Berger 168 gr. bullets loaded to 2750 fps). I handled a 6.5 Creedmoor at the store one day made by Savage. It was as light as my Browning, and about 1/2 the price. I believe it was a youth model. I'm 64, and a light rifle makes all the difference. I don't give up anything except weight and maybe a little in optics. I stay in shape with the US Forest Service Pack Test. Nothing better for preparing for mountains. Just because I can pack out 70 lbs. of de-boned elk at a time, doesn't mean I want to carry a heavy rifle.

You think like I do-I live in the Rockies and love the tops of them. I am 59 11/12 ths an constantly making my gear more more portable. The higher up the mountain you go the shorter the range the shot is very often.

I didn't read every response so my apologizes if it's already been suggested. I didn't see where you listed your budget, but for a rifle that costs well below $1K and weighs under 6.5lbs I do not see how you can POSSIBLY best a Tikka T3 Light. I have one in 300 WSM and are satisfied BEYOND measure. All I did was install a Simms Labs Limb Saver Air tech recoil pad (and yes no BS it REALLY does reduce felt recoil very well) left the trigger set at 4lbs from the factory and it has given my very good accuracy with every reload I have fed it so far and in the case of IMR4831 and 4451 excellent accuracy as the pic I'm posting shows. And this is not the targets I have using heavier charges of IMR4831 that shot just as well at about 70fps MV more.
Just my 2 pennies worth.
20170608_130031.jpg

I recently played Kimber roulette and purchased a used Montana in 7mm-08 off Gunbroker. Unfortunately it had a bulge in the barrel (not Kimbers fault). Kimber was very helpful and replaced the barrel for a reasonable price. I now have a 6 lb 2 oz rifle including a 4.5-14 vx3 with B&C reticle Mounted up. The 150 grain Hornady eldx factory loads match the reticle ballistics very well out to 500 yds. Groups are less than 3/4" at 100. Not long range per se, but a solid choice for mullies in the high country imo.

I continue to use the original Model 700 270 (22" barrel) for all my light mountain hunts. It now wears a McMillan BDL stock. The rifle weighs 8.2 lbs with scope. I have taken 3 sheep with it along with other numerous animals.

I went with a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker at 6lbs 13oz, Leupold VX5HD at 19 oz and Talley Mounts. The total setup is right around 8.5 lbs which is considerably lighter than my previous 10 lb setup. I didn't go ultra lightweight because I think some of those rifles are hard to hold steady on the shot. I looked closely at the Cooper 92 and it was a little too light for my liking.

Let's face it,even with good year-around conditioning backpack hunting is still all about weight.

So lowering the weight of everything is important, including your rifle. That's why my .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt stays home this year and my 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Amer. Predator & 5- 15 x 42 SWFA scope goes with me into the mountains.

But with an unlimited budget I'd want the following:

1. .300 WSM (or similar short magnum)
2. lightest 3-lug bolt action available, magazine fed
3. carbon fiber stock W/aluminum bedding block/pillars
4. Proof Research CF wrapped barrel and titanium muzzle brake (needed on a light rifle)
5. Vortex Viper HD AMG scope W/aluminum rings (Yeah, lighter quality scopes are available but this is my "wet dream" scope.)
6. MAGPUL nylon modular sling W/ flush cups

OR... one could just go to Christensen Arms and buy all of this "off the rack" except it will have a 2 lug bolt.

So... how about your UL mountain rifle, real or lusted after?

Eric B.

Eric, I see this is a older post so not sure if you've purchased a hundred yet or not. but if you haven't then check out Brownings X-bolt Long Range Pro in 300wsm. It has a carbon Wrapped stock, 26" barrel and weights 6.5lbs. Also if you want a shorter barrel then look at Brownings Hells Canyon Speed I'm 300wsm. It has a 23" barrel and weights 6.8lbs. Both rifles say their actions are bedded as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.