Long Range Rifles/Optics for Backpacking hunts

Just wondering how much better is the ATACR over the NXS? I still have time to switch the scope out on my custom build and I'm a little undecided. Now keep in mind I don't ever intend on doing Extreme Long distance Hunting so I'm looking at 800 yards or less with an average of 500 yards mostly..

I hunt Barbary sheep in NM. We start the day hiking steeply down about 700 feet in elevation. I decided a long time ago that I wanted a light weight rifle. It doesn't make sense to me to pay extra for a 5.5 lb. rifle and then put a 2 lb. scope on it. I use a Leupold 2x7 Compact or 3x9 Ultra light. They weigh in at about 8 oz. to 11 oz. That works out to 400 meters, which is as far as I've ever needed to shoot.

Just wondering how much better is the ATACR over the NXS? I still have time to switch the scope out on my custom build and I'm a little undecided. Now keep in mind I don't ever intend on doing Extreme Long distance Hunting so I'm looking at 800 yards or less with an average of 500 yards mostly..

If it were me I would save the money and the weight and go with the NXS. I do not own an NXS but I have looked through them enough to see that they have excellent glass. With 800 yards being your max and 500 being average, have you considered the 4-16 ATACR?

I have not had a chance to look at them but its on a short list. At this point I'm leaning toward the NXS

Here's a pic of the SHV 3-10x42 mounted on my lightweight 338-300 wsm. I have not had a chance to shoot the rifle with this scope on it yet, but so far just looking out to the field and mountains behind my house I am very happy with the optics and overall more compact size than the last scope I was running.

I'll report back once I have a chance to get some field use.

Attachments

• 338Timber.jpg
    338Timber.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Did you hear from nightforce ?

I have been in contact with NF, but still waiting to hear back from them again.

So here's the deal. When I first mounted the scope, even before I got it out to the range to get it dialed in, my first look through the scope and I thought "oh S#!t... the distortion is awful". So I figured I just needed to get the diopter adjusted right. Took it to the range. Sighted in, did some simple box tests, overall the scope is awesome. And I was comparing it side by side to my ATACR. Sitting on the bench stationary and you really don't notice much distortion because nothing is moving in the image. The sharpness and contrast is awesome and even the light gathering is impressive.

But once you start moving the scope, there is just a lot of distortion, to my eyes it looks like barrel distortion, where an object in the center of the image starts to roll off, or get smaller, as it moves to the edge of the scope image. So much that it really causes eye strain and is distracting.

So I called NF a few weeks ago, they said to try adjusting the diopter again and really spend some time with that. So I did. Maybe got the reticle sharpness even more dialed in if that was possible. It really produces a very sharp image. But the distortion is still there. So I called them back and just asked if that was something that's just expected from the SHV line. Now, I'm not writing this to bash NF. Just reporting the facts. The NF guy I talked to was very helpful and knowledgeable, so rather than having me take my scope off and ship it back, he's going to have a few scopes on their end tested to see if any of them show signs of barrel distortion. If they show some distortion, then basically I'm just stuck with the scope as is. If they don't see any distortion on test scopes on their end, then I'll send them back my scope for them to check out. Part of the reason it's taking so long is that I really wanted to give it several days, several lighting conditions, and compare it to other scopes I have. And man, to my eyes, it's literally the worst scope I've ever looked through for distortion in a mid-range or higher optic. The distortion is something like I've seen in a cheap scope that comes mounted to a pellet gun. It really is bad. Again, it's through my eyes. But I see it, and that's why I'm being persistent with NF.

So... it's been close to two weeks since I last talked to them and they said they would get back to me in about a week. So I'll call them back next week if I don't hear back from them before then.

I'll post up anything new that happens .... stay tuned.

Having the same problem with my scope turned up to full power did all the adjustments and nothing improves the clarity. When I first mounted the scope had no problem sighting in or with clarity. My problem started with about 150 rounds through the barrel

I have called NF several times with no call backs .. I own quite a few of their scopes and just had a new rifle fitted with a NXS with no problems, but the customer service on this issue has left me thinking twice on NF purchases in the future

Rifle Cleaning Rod

Has anyone used a pro shot rod or can recommend a good rod. I always used a bore snake but I'm being told not use a bore snake on a custom barrel. So any input on a good rod will be greatly appreciated

Rifle Cleaning Rod

Has anyone used a pro shot rod or can recommend a good rod. I always used a bore snake but I'm being told not use a bore snake on a custom barrel. So any input on a good rod will be greatly appreciated

pro shot makes good rods, I typically use either a Dewey coated rod or Tipton. Make sure you get a good bore guide... my favorite are the Sinclair O-Ring Rod guide with built in solvent port. They are made specific to your action, cartridge and caliber.

Well I finally pulled the trigger on a VX6 3-18x50 for my 338 RUM. Really happy with the scope so far. Balances out the rifle very well.

Also considering just using the scopes with the capped turrets rather than install the CDS dial. The current turrets have an adequate zero stop feature and going capped I never have to worry that I accidentally twisted them.

I just posted up a new thread on the rifle within the elk hunting sub-forum with some specs on the load development.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 186
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.