Long Range Rifles/Optics for Backpacking hunts

I have come to believe that the old saying aim small to hit small is a truism. My two RUMs are equipped with 4.5X to 30X Bushnells. You can jump shoot OK on 4.5X and see bullet holes in white paper at 600 yards on 30X. Plus they double as a spotting scope.

I agree that the larger magnification scopes have an advantage with the 'aim small miss small' train of thought and also double as spotting scopes when you're getting set up on an animal. Even after the shot it's nice to be able to see more detail... from the impact to any clue of what's going on down range could help in tracking and locating, details that you might miss with a lower power scope. You can always turn them down if you don't want it. I've never had a 30x scope, but something around 20x is ideal for me.

Obviously need to have high quality optics for a clear image. What always amazes me is when I shoot my Vortex PST 4x16 at the range right next to my ATACR 5x25 and how superior the ATACR image is over the PST. I can spot bullet holes in paper out to 500 with the ATACR while I can't see them with the PST past 200.

With that said, when I'm only using the 4x16 PST and nothing else to compare it to, my eyes don't think it's all that bad, and I shot my biggest bull at 630 yards with the PST...

So when are optics good enough ??

Timber338

Optics are good enough when you are confident in what is going to happen when you pull the trigger.

Either that or when the cost of the optics reaches the point where it makes ya go cross-eyed.

Which brings us right back to compromise - Again...

Last edited:
I use an Allen Precision custom that weighs 8 lbs plus a couple ounces, scoped with a NF 2.5-10. I'm not going to carry a heavy rifle on a backpack hunt. I chose the NF because I trust the turrets, and the glass is good enough. I've shot out to almost 1100 yards with this set-up, and shot at marmots to 1000. I find that 10X is enough. I'm thinking of picking up one of the Cooper ultra lights when they become available. I like the idea of a 6 lb 7 mag with a half MOA accuracy guarantee. I used to shoot a couple of Kimber Montana's that were sub-moa rifles, and had no problems hitting marmots out around the 600 yard mark. Only medium range, but I'm okay with that.

I pack a custom 338 MN that is 8 3/4 dressed w/ leo 6-20x50 tmr.Really like set up but would like lower end,the 5x on my SS is suprizing better. I hunt the grizz country on way up mtns.I also have a 11# version that I packed 70 days this year because I had MT moose tag,not as steep country and lot gated roads, usually went in 2 miles because I didnt want pack moose that far and very hot early.Did do 9 miles one day.Im shopping for march for my packer.Like features. Im in the 50+ group and as mentioned the weight catches up with you Im also not large person so when packout comes it hurts more now.I put moose head on my back and drug qrt. to road.Then hiked out 2miles, then went back and got 1/4 and thought I could drag a 1/4 with me,which caused me to over do it ,back at dark.So took longer overall trying to bite off too much at once:D

I use an Allen Precision custom that weighs 8 lbs plus a couple ounces, scoped with a NF 2.5-10. I'm not going to carry a heavy rifle on a backpack hunt. I chose the NF because I trust the turrets, and the glass is good enough. I've shot out to almost 1100 yards with this set-up, and shot at marmots to 1000. I find that 10X is enough. I'm thinking of picking up one of the Cooper ultra lights when they become available. I like the idea of a 6 lb 7 mag with a half MOA accuracy guarantee. I used to shoot a couple of Kimber Montana's that were sub-moa rifles, and had no problems hitting marmots out around the 600 yard mark. Only medium range, but I'm okay with that.

Yup, to shoot out to medium range a light rifle is the way to go. With a lighter stock I would get my light pack rifle down to the mid 6 lb range fully setup with a scope. Now that I've upgraded to my RUM my light weight WSM will be my backup rifle that stays in the truck.

I pack a custom 338 MN that is 8 3/4 dressed w/ leo 6-20x50 tmr.Really like set up but would like lower end,the 5x on my SS is suprizing better. I hunt the grizz country on way up mtns.I also have a 11# version that I packed 70 days this year because I had MT moose tag,not as steep country and lot gated roads, usually went in 2 miles because I didnt want pack moose that far and very hot early.Did do 9 miles one day.Im shopping for march for my packer.Like features. Im in the 50+ group and as mentioned the weight catches up with you Im also not large person so when packout comes it hurts more now.I put moose head on my back and drug qrt. to road.Then hiked out 2miles, then went back and got 1/4 and thought I could drag a 1/4 with me,which caused me to over do it ,back at dark.So took longer overall trying to bite off too much at once:D

sp6x6, what bullet do you shoot the most out of your 338 NM?

Cool thread, cool stories, and some cool guns! I too struggle with the rifle weight for backpack hunts. I use a Rbros custom .300 Win Mag with a 28" barrel and went with a Manners EH1 stock to gain a little weight savings back. The same problem for me was the optics. I wanted to go with an ATACR but didn't want the 38oz. I settled on a Premier Heritage Light Weight Tactical 3-15x50 in a MIL/MIL setup. Weighs 24oz and has amazing glass and great turrets and zero stop. My rifle comes in at exactly 11.0 pounds loaded with bipod adapter (I have a Javelin bipod that I only clip in when shooting). I carried that around all last season on some long mileage trips and it's not bad to carry, but with that big barrel, it's not easy in brush. So now, I carry it if I am going to any place in that hunting day where I will have a long shot opportunity. If I'm going to a clear cut, or a ridge where I can shoot a different ridge, old burn, basin, etc... I'll pack ODIN (the .300WM). If I am intentionally hunting elk or whitetail in thick timber for my trip or hunt, I'll be packing my Forbes 28B in 7mm Rem Mag this year (when it finally ships!). That will come in at 5.75 pounds and I'll use my Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 to keep her light. I think that will be the perfect brush gun for finding those bear and elk in the dark timber.

As much as I love my Premier LT, I think I'll be selling it for the new ATACR 4-16 F1 coming out...Looks too good to pass up! It'll bump my weight up 6oz though as it's 30oz based off initial runs anyway.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 108
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 111
Re: Long Range Rifles/Optics for Backpacking hunt

Here's my sheep rig with the 2.5-10 nsx that I compromise with for weight. 300 WSM on a rem titanium with an edge stock and tac pro cheek rest. 9lb 1oz as pictured. Bare rifle is 5lb 15oz. Shoots 175 barnes LRX at 2960 about .75 Moa using h4350 and fed 215's

I limit my max distance to where the velocity drops to about 1800 fps which is about 700 yards at sea level and around 800 yards in the hills.

2d2b5131feb6e8437a600b6d35fece2b.jpg

4AB5A793-5ED3-4CB3-B443-092CD5558069-21069-00001DB656EDA785.jpg

Both of those rifles look really nice. Getting enough posts that there does seem to be a general consensus that carrying a heavy rifle is not any fun.

Been thinking how I don't mind the weight so much when I'm on a mission to cover ground and got the rifle either slashed to my pack or even just slung over my shoulder. I really notice a heavy rifle when I'm stalking through the thick stuff for several hours. Keeping still, holding the rifle in both hands, and then adjusting to look through bino's. A light rifle really is nice for that.

And the toughest part is when I backpack hunt I do a mix of glassing and sitting that can lead to a long shot, as well as stalking through the forests. So I really want a rifle that can do it all. Obviously have to compromise in there somewhere on each end, but I think the happy medium is somewhere around 9.5 - 10 pounds.

This year I took the plunge and I'm having a rifle built by RBROS... 7mm Rem Mag Manners EH-1 Stock with 27" Broughton Fluted Barrel topped off with a NXS 5.5-22X50...

This year I took the plunge and I'm having a rifle built by RBROS... 7mm Rem Mag Manners EH-1 Stock with 27" Broughton Fluted Barrel topped off with a NXS 5.5-22X50...

That's gonna be a shooter for sure, what barrel contour did you go with and any idea what it's gonna weigh fully setup with the scope?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.