Long Range Rifle in a 6 PPC

Broughton 26"

at least .900 at muzzle

c'mon---A5, maybe TG--depends what look you are going for--also withthe vert grip, over the htg grip, that may be the difference in being able to spot your shots without a muzzle break.

the more vertical grip seems to allow less rise and easier shot spotting (that is why my 308-A3 is breaked -- can spot shots on p-dogs quite well
wink.gif
)

JB

Dave

John Myer Custom Gunsmithing in Boyce VA (540)837-2598 has one sitting on his shelf now. 700 action, light weight barrel about 24".

He builds a very nice and accurate rifle, but he is backed up with 1k guns for about 6 months or more.

BH

Dave,

Apologies for the time delay since my barrel length question..

I was thinking more along the lines of a fairly heavy profile 20" barrel -maybe 22" but not much more.
I was basing this on 2 (mis?)perceptions:

Benchresters appear to use stubby 20-odd-inch barrel lengths (based on only on my observations from books and articles; I have no first hand experience of benchrest)

I want the rifle to be fairly handy for walking slung across my back (don't find weight to be the issue, to me it is rifle OAL that can make the things awkward), but good enough to drop prone and take an easy accurate shot out to about max 400m.

Why (other than increased MV) are you drawn toward a 26" barrel?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.