Long range load

Dandaman

Hi guyz.. thanks for you're help.
I'm not a good tech for ballistic and everything..
I have a lot to learn.
I have a savage long range hunter 11/111 6.5x284 Norma.
I bought accubond
trophy grade 130gr and 140gr cartridge.
So my understanding is that I don't have the optimum load for my rifle…I can't find some long range accubond cartridge 129 or 142 or they're not available anywhere anymore… I don't reload ether..
I saw some 6.5 prc available.. is it fit ?
Or there's something better for long range hunting for that rifle..? 😬

I have a lot to learn.
I bought accubond
So my understanding is that I don't have the optimum load for my rifle…I can't find some long range accubond cartridge 129 or 142 or they're not available anywhere anymore… I don't reload ether..
Do not use 6.5 PRC ammo.

if you rifle shoots a bullet accurately, it will be fine at a pretty good decent distance. You just need a good, dial-able scope. Sounds like you're getting WAY ahead of yourself with just the info you've given. A lot of work comes before just simply "long range hunting".

Yea you're right.. thing is that I bought a lot of cartridges and want to try some long distance shot at a military shooting range for eventually hunt in the mountains. I'll practice whit those bullets but is there a difference for like
500-700 yards shot whit those..?
I know I have a lot to eat.. lol
6.5 prc is a option..?

I have a lot to learn.
I bought accubond

I have a lot to learn.
I bought accubond
Shoot what you have until you get profient out to distance you want. You are just talking more adjustment if you are talking BC values. What the H---- are you asking about 6.5 prc for if you have a 6.5 X 284 ????? You do know they are totally separate cartridges and not interchangeable , RIGHT. GOOD LORD

Shoot what you have until you get profient out to distance you want. You are just talking more adjustment if you are talking BC values. What the H---- are you asking about 6.5 prc for if you have a 6.5 X 284 ????? You do know they are totally separate cartridges and not interchangeable , RIGHT. GOOD LORD
Ok.. that was part of my question.. prc won't fit..
Thanks good lord.. 😅
Think maybe you ought to stick with playing modern warfare on playstation instead of having a real gun that way you will not hurt yourself or anyone around you!!!!!!
yeah..! Maybe..
Thanks anyway.. 🙋‍♂️

Ok.. that was part of my question.. prc won't fit..
Thanks good lord.. 😅

yeah..! Maybe..
Thanks anyway.. 🙋‍♂️
Don't let West Calamus get to you, he just can't read French. The Nosler Ammo you have on hand is perfect. If you can, find a hunter safety course and pass it so you can buy hunting tags. Then see about a long range shooting class. There are some very good ones available. Everyone has to start somewhere! The world has enough X-Box heros.

Don't let West Calamus get to you, he just can't read French. The Nosler Ammo you have on hand is perfect. If you can, find a hunter safety course and pass it so you can buy hunting tags. Then see about a long range shooting class. There are some very good ones available. Everyone has to start somewhere! The world has enough X-Box heros.
Yeah ..!
I found 2 places for shooting long distance courses..it's only theory
I'll check that.. i hunt deer every year but where I live there's no big hunting spots like in the mid ouest..in the U.S.. the longest shot I took on a deer in my life was 300 yards and I was very happy.. was a easy shot.. there's no shooting range over 200y here.. 🤷‍♂️
i found a military shooting range that I'll be able to go ..so.. that's why I ask.
Anyway..just wanted to know if there's a big difference whit LR loads..
pardon my French.. 😂

You should be capable of holding a group of 1 inch or less at 100 yards before you attempt any distance. If you can't hit a paper pie plate or a milk jug 5 out of 5 time at a givin distance you are over your head and should not be shooting past that distance. 5 out of 5 at 400 yards and 3 out of 5 at 500 yards. 400 yards is your limit. A milk jug is the size of or smaller than any big game animals vitals in North America. Practice your basic marksmanship at 100 yards before you get crazy. I have seen too many wounded animals because some dip@#it watched an antelope get shot at 700 yards on TV. It takes alot of time and practice to be ethically lethal at longer ranges

You should be capable of holding a group of 1 inch or less at 100 yards before you attempt any distance. If you can't hit a paper pie plate or a milk jug 5 out of 5 time at a givin distance you are over your head and should not be shooting past that distance. 5 out of 5 at 400 yards and 3 out of 5 at 500 yards. 400 yards is your limit. A milk jug is the size of or smaller than any big game animals vitals in North America. Practice your basic marksmanship at 100 yards before you get crazy. I have seen too many wounded animals because some dip@#it watched an antelope get shot at 700 yards on TV. It takes alot of time and practice to be ethically lethal at longer ranges
Yes.. I know.. I group 1.5 in at 200y
I don't have a place to practice further for now..
those you tube video in the mountains really pumped me up I guess ..lol
but you're right .. i don't want to go there make a fool of me or if I'm not 100% sure about my abilities At higher distance.. 😉

I like your drive so I will try not to quench that. First off, Safety is paramount. Know what's beyond your target and never mix ammo/rifles.
6.5-284 Norma is a great round but factory ammo can be tough to find during normal circumstances and with this ammo / reloading components drought going on, that could be frustrating and discouraging.
A friend just bought a nice LR .300WinMag (Savage Elite) with Trijicon scope but can't locate factory "LR" ammo. I suggested he buy what he could find (CoreLokts) and shoot them and save his brass. This will get him familiar with rifle/scope, recoil and hopefully give him some confidence. The latter being a large part of future LR success with your setup. Don't doubt your rifle, scope or yourself. You can do this.
6.5 PRC is a great round also. The two are not interchangeable. Factory fodder may be "easier" to find. It's a fairly new round. Lot's of people have migrated toward it and Hornady is probably pumping it out overtime. Lots of different rifles being manufactured. That could work against someone but not an issue for now.
The Accubond (AB) will do nicely for the range you have available and frankly, well beyond. The rifle and ammo you have are capable of 1000yd success, depending on your scope. 1.5" @ 200yds with factory ammo is good. Handloads could tighten that up but go with what you have. You know the "bird in the hand thingy"....
Continue to practice @ 200yds and try to shrink those groups. Concentrate on your breathing, technique and bags/bipod. Read all you can find on the subjects.
Get yourself a ballistic app (Strelok is free on Goodle Play Store) and insert your rifle/ammo info. Play with this and get as familiar as you can. Once you're at the military range, take kid steps. Don't go for the gold right off the bat. Try intermediate ranges (300, 500, 750) before attempting 1000yds. Pay attention to what your app is telling you and what your rifle is showing you. You'll soon see your shortcomings and rifle/scope flaws, if there are any.
Success is a great confidence builder and will help you further your goals. Don't give you. Keep us posted and ask questions. You don't know what you don't know and that goes for all of us here. Good luck, brother.

Sounds really good to me ..
thanks a lot I appreciate..
I found a bunch of accubond 130 gr so I'll practice a lot whit those.. you're right.
But yeah..I found some ballistic number that I don't quite understand for now.
But I think there's like 2in less drop on 400y between AB vs AB LR …
I saw a video on YouTube that show long distance hunter use hornady yesterday..
so I guess the Hornady 156gr eld-x is probably the factory ammo to try for me when I'll be ready for that hunting trip in the mountains.
For Big game like elk or moose.

Recent Posts