long range hunting with a 45-120

I'm new here so please bear with me. Due to some lobbying by me and a few buddies we will be allowed for the first time in over 50 years to use rifles in our deer hunting zone this fall. I've got an original Hi Wall now chambered in 45-120 that I'm going to use this fall. Anyone have any experience with this chambering? Any loading data worth sharing? In the past I've been using a custom Hoche paper patch mold, 596 grain using a teflon patch, 215 primer, 12 grains of 4759, 108 grains of FF black. Due to a recent shoulder surgery I can't tolerate that much recoil for a while. I've also got molds for 292, 450, and 500 grain bullets. The rifle has a .456 groove size and 1 in 16 twist. Any suggestions. Dave

I went to one of those buffalo gun shoots where rifles like yours were the only ones permitted. They were shooting prone w/cross stick on the barrel at 500 meter rams. Peep sigths and some tubes were used.

Two things amazed me:
1) The fella I was watching hit 5 rams for 5 shots. When I set his targets I noted the hits. If it would have been a group it would have been on the order of roughly not more than 5 inches.

2) They were shooting pure lead bullets and a hit made about a 2 inch wafer.

So, hitting a deer out there a ways would be no problem if shot was properly chosen.

I'd think that some amount of expansion would be well, but I know nothing about cast bullet performance.

You hunt sounds like fun and you seem to have earned it.

Good luck.

Hmmmmm I believe the OLD 46th or 47th version of the Lyman manual has data for this---many years ago I almost had one built and the data is out there in one of thse manuals.

I've got the lyman book with their data, it's pretty sparse. I've used a 300grain jacketed hollow point with 90 grains of IMR4064, 2850fps at 20ft. I'm planing on using the big 604 pure lead patched bullet and a duplex BP load on deer. I'm going to have to drasticly reduce my normal load if I want to keep myself off the operating table.
Just wondering if anyone here has any experience shooting and long range hunting with one of these. I'd love to pick their brain. Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.