Long Range Elk Gun

I have a 280ai from Ridge Rifles in Casper, WY. It is tied for the most accurate rifles I've ever shot or owned. They Build a fantastic rifle this one is based on an accurised Remington 700 action. Here is a picture of a group shot with this 280ai. 280.jpg

you are in PA, I would check out Legendary Arms Works in person, they've been getting RAVE reviews and Mark Banser has been in the business for quite some time with his own line of well thought of custom stocks. They now hold the patent and rights and base their custom rifles on the Ed Brown 704 Remington based CRF action, also well thought of. And their rifles are guaranteed sub MOA and are under $2000! the list of calibers is extensive and they offer a special edition right now in 28 Nosler if you are so inclined, still under $2000.

Here is their "Professional" Model:

The Professional | Legendary Arms Works

Legendary Arms Works
76 West Main Street
Reinholds, PA 17569 http://www.legendaryarmsworks.com/product/the-professional/#sthash.gFfV0trf.dpuf

People that are in to long range hunting and shooting don't typically consider a 1 MOA rifle like the Legendary Arms. Accuracy is the most important aspect of it. The other builders mentioned are building sub 1/2 MOA rifles and in reality they should be sub 3/8 MOA if not knocking on 1/4 MOA. They are 1/2 the price but IMO they are half the rifle when it comes to long range. Long range isn't really a place to go cheap on a rifle or equipment.

When I build a rifle for myself if it doesn't shoot sub 1/2" @ 100yds with at least one load the very first time I shoot it then it's most likely going away. I usually give them a second chance but most times it's in vain. I can usually tell in less than 25 rounds if it's going to shoot. If I've already built the caliber before I usually know in less than 10 rounds because I know what loads work in the other rifles. In reality I rarely keep a rifle that won't shoot at least 3/8" and I'll shoot it more if it shoot's in the .1XX" to .2XX" range rather than the .3XX's and larger. I just built a 300wm for a friend. The first 12 loads he tried shot between .187" and .554". That just about mirrors the performance of the last 338 Edge I built for another friend except his largest group was less than .5". The smallest was also in the .1XX" range. That's how a custom rifles should shoot not 3/4" or more. There are enough factory rifles that shoot that good, many that have the same guarantee and cost well under 1/2 of what the Legendary Arms rifles do. I personally want to know it's me that made a bad shot not the rifle.

To the OP: I just saw you live in PA. There are a bunch of really well known gunsmiths that build rifles for the 1000yd shooters there. Go to pa1000yard.com and look at the smiths for the top shooters and call them. If they are good enough to build rifles for those people they can easily build you a accurate hunting rifle. People like Mark King, Goodling, and Bruce Baer among the others have been building rifles for 20+ years and are still at the top of the game. 25 years ago before I started building my own rifles I had Bruce Baer build me 2 rifles that shot really well. I still have one of them in 308 Baer. Dave Tooley is on the east coast too and builds winning benchrest rifles.

I've read the reviews. They are the usual hunting rag puffery.

I'm skeptical of their suitability for long range hunting.

Interesting thread at another forum Ron Spomer on the Legendary Arms Works Professional Rifle With 704 Action - The Truth About Guns

you are in PA, I would check out Legendary Arms Works in person, they've been getting RAVE reviews and Mark Banser has been in the business for quite some time with his own line of well thought of custom stocks.

You can add Dave Bruno this list. I have one of his rifles and it's a one holer.

To the OP: I just saw you live in PA. There are a bunch of really well known gunsmiths that build rifles for the 1000yd shooters there. Go to pa1000yard.com and look at the smiths for the top shooters and call them. If they are good enough to build rifles for those people they can easily build you a accurate hunting rifle. People like Mark King, Goodling, and Bruce Baer among the others have been building rifles for 20+ years and are still at the top of the game. 25 years ago before I started building my own rifles I had Bruce Baer build me 2 rifles that shot really well. I still have one of them in 308 Baer. Dave Tooley is on the east coast too and builds winning benchrest rifles.

Hi, I am very happy to find this site!!!

Which would be a better choice to accomplish this a 7mm Remington Mag, 7mm RUM or a 7mm STW?

Any advise would be more then welcome, thank you. :)

They will all do it pushing 180's. Question is which one do you want? Personally I'd drop the RUM right off the bat and add the 7mm Sherman short mag to the equation. Could even add a few more but sounds like you want a mag.

STW, RM, or SS?? Spin the bottle

If I were to get one all- around gun for elk in a light weight package in a non magnum I would be getting it would be a 280AI.

If you wanted a magnum in a light weight in the 7mm's my choice would be a 7WSM

But my personal choice (since I can have lots of guns) would be a .338 for elk. As stated earlier nothing thumps them as good as a 250-300 gr bullet. I'm a big fan of DRT (dead right there) instead of dead a 100 yards down in a steep canyon from where you shot. I built a 338 RUM in a 10lb version which isn't to bad a carry all day. With a 338 and heavy bullets there are no limitations about, wind or terminal ballistics at distance.

My advice is get a Remington 700 action find a good smith and get a gun custom made to your specs regardless of caliber.

Hi, I am very happy to find this site!!!

I am in the process of buying a 7mm and I am not exactly sure which one to go with but I want my new rifle to be able to shoot out to 1000 yards and have the energy to kill elk and moose at that distance. The scope I will be using is a Huskemaw Blue Diamond 5-20x50.

Which would be a better choice to accomplish this a 7mm Remington Mag, 7mm RUM or a 7mm STW?

Any advise would be more then welcome, thank you. :)

7RUM and 7STW brass is almost non-existent so from your list I would do a 7RM. Other options are a 7-300wm (if your OK with a wildcat round), A 7mm Dakota or 28 Nosler. Dakota and Nosler brass is spendy compared to 7RM or 7-300wm but what isn't anymore. The 7-300wm is one trip through a die and it's made for me. Then it's just like any other round except the brass isn't stamped 7-300wm to match the chamber.

This will be the only long range rifle that I purchase and I want it to meet all of my needs until I have to stop hunting, hopefully for another 20 years.

Based on my research to date, I have been thinking of going with a Tikka 7mm Rem Mag. Then I will take the barrel off of it and replace the stock with a Weatherby McMillan Stock and replace the trigger system with a Jard Trigger System so I can set it at 1.5 lbs.

I will not be loading my own cartridges and will be buying Barns VOR-TX, providing the barrel likes the round. Another option can be the Accubond Trophy Grade ammo as they have worked well for me in the past.

My main objective is to make the right choice this time, because I do not want to go through this process again. I made a major mistake in the first place and sold my 300 WSM because it did not have the energy I felt comfortable with if I ever have to take a 1000 yard shot.

Thanks again for the input guys!

The Weatherby fits me very well, so I have decided to go with it. I do not shoot at competitions, I am strictly a meat hunter. Where I hunt there are not lots of elk and they are typically a long way off, so I need to reach out and get the job done.

I want the best 7mm for the job, I am just not sure which one is the best choice. I want the one with the most killing power at long range, just not sure which model is the best choice. :)

KillerBee,

For the things you are looking to do to a Tikka, and the fact Tikka's go for $899 new now (I paid $525 for mine back in 2003!) I would look at buying a used custom low round count 7 Rem Mag here on LRH. I bet you could get a used 7 Rem Mag from someone who was recoil sensitive in great shape for the same or a tad more than working up a Tikka. Don't get me wrong, I have a Tikka, and I carry it a lot, but a used custom rig and a rebarreled Tikka are in two different categories. Both may be great shooters however. Just something to think about. Or a Sendero in 7 Rem Mag would be another great option to look at. My .02. Good luck in whatever you go with!

I forgot to mention, the biggest downfall to the Tikka, and reason I don't use mine for LR, but a nice packable carry gun, is the ability to seat a large COAL setup in the magazine. I can't even get 180 grain Bergers to get near the lands in my .300 WM, and a 7RM will be just as bad. Plenty of guys single feed them, but thats not how I like to operate for hunting. Another reason a Sendero or used custom 7RM from a site like this will be a pro. It'll allow you to seat the 180's to the lands or near the lands, and still fit within your magazine system whether it's hinged floor (preference for hunting) or detachable box mag. For shooting game at or near 1,000 as you desire, and especially for elk, I love a 180 in a 7 Mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.