Long Range Elk Gun

If you were me, which of the 7mm's would you buy?

This has been the subject by phone, email, and PM's over the last few weeks among some very reliable, well know precision rifle builders, good elk hunters, and myself. Some of which are huge 7mm fans.

I have been on the fence and now with 31 big game kills with the 215 Berger from a 300 win , 20+ being elk. Over a dozen elk taken with the 195 Berger from a 7mm-300 just in the last couple weeks. And a total of 22 elk taken with my 7-300, 300 win and .338 Terminator in the last month. Plus watching with my own eyes as they ran and fell, doing 90% of the field dressing and studying the wound channels , sized, lengths and impact velocity as well as Impact energy. I was surprised that we ALL agreed on this. There is no excuses, bigger kills better especially when shot placement is off a bit.

So which of the 7mm's would I buy? Simple, the 300 win with a 215 Berger. Unless I wanted to step up and then I would use my .338 Terminator +P.

Sorry guys. I have enough logged data and bloody knives to make this a proven fact, at least to me and others in the know.

Regards
Jeff

This has been the subject by phone, email, and PM's over the last few weeks among some very reliable, well know precision rifle builders, good elk hunters, and myself. Some of which are huge 7mm fans.

I have been on the fence and now with 31 big game kills with the 215 Berger from a 300 win , 20+ being elk. Over a dozen elk taken with the 195 Berger from a 7mm-300 just in the last couple weeks. And a total of 22 elk taken with my 7-300, 300 win and .338 Terminator in the last month. Plus watching with my own eyes as they ran and fell, doing 90% of the field dressing and studying the wound channels , sized, lengths and impact velocity as well as Impact energy. I was surprised that we ALL agreed on this. There is no excuses, bigger kills better especially when shot placement is off a bit.

So which of the 7mm's would I buy? Simple, the 300 win with a 215 Berger. Unless I wanted to step up and then I would use my .338 Terminator +P.

Sorry guys. I have enough logged data and bloody knives to make this a proven fact, at least to me and others in the know.

Regards
Jeff

Jeff, In your opinion, do you know what the Velocity and Energy are with the 215 Berger at 1000 yards? And what is the longest shot you have seen taken on elk with one? Thanks :)

Jeff, In your opinion, do you know what the Velocity and Energy are with the 215 Berger at 1000 yards? And what is the longest shot you have seen taken on elk with one? Thanks :)

Yes, from my rifle it will arrive at 1000 yards in 1.2 sec with an impact velocity of 1947 fps and 1811 ft lbs of energy.

We have taken several elk past 800 with the 215 but none over 1000. No follow up shots were required. Have taken a few antelope past 1000. The farthest being 1300 yards. TOF= 1.7 sec, impact velocity 1675 and energy 1340. Nice expansion on these soft goats with exits about golf ball size.

Jeff

Yes, from my rifle it will arrive at 1000 yards in 1.2 sec with an impact velocity of 1947 fps and 1811 ft lbs of energy.

We have taken several elk past 800 with the 215 but none over 1000. No follow up shots were required. Have taken a few antelope past 1000. The farthest being 1300 yards. TOF= 1.7 sec, impact velocity 1675 and energy 1340. Nice expansion on these soft goats with exits about golf ball size.

Jeff

Nice! gun)

Are these hand loaded cartridges, if not do you know if off the shelf ammo has the same performance and when you are saying 300 win, are you meaning 300 Win Mag?

Sorry I am a rookie at this and having to learn as I go!

Nice! gun)

Are these hand loaded cartridges, if not do you know if off the shelf ammo has the same performance and when you are saying 300 win, are you meaning 300 Win Mag?

Sorry I am a rookie at this and having to learn as I go!

Yes I am referring to 300 Win Mag. and I do hand load these myself. I know that the 300 win mag has one of the largest selections of off the shelf ammo too. A good place to look for a load similar to mine would be Hunting Shack Munitions.

Jeff

Yes I am referring to 300 Win Mag. and I do hand load these myself. I know that the 300 win mag has one of the largest selections of off the shelf ammo too. A good place to look for a load similar to mine would be Hunting Shack Munitions.

Jeff

More to think about, as if they was not enough already lol. Thanks Jeff

I respect your opinion. I took delivery on a 300WM a while back. Believe me, I'm an expert at justifying rifle purchases. But I can't justify a 7mm. The performance is so easily matched by the WM. They aren't identical, but close enough.

The recoil of a 300WM may be a factor for some going with a 7mm of some sort.

Regards
Jeff

Regards
Jeff

Very well said Sir!

Question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to, but just want to check: Saying that a gun shoots 1/2 moa means that it will shoot half inch groups at 100 yards. Correct?

Question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to, but just want to check: Saying that a gun shoots 1/2 moa means that it will shoot half inch groups at 100 yards. Correct?

1 MOA is roughly considered 1" per 100 yards of distance.

Example:

100 yards - 1"
250 yards - 2.5"
500 yards - 5"
750 yards - 7.5"
1000 yards - 10"

And the list goes on...

So... Depending on whatever distance you choose to do your load development at, If your rifle consistently shoots groups that are 1/2 of 1 MOA at said distance, your rifle is considered to be a 1/2 MOA rifle.

With the amount of money you are willing to spend go all custom you won't regret it. I have had customs built off rem 700 and they shot great and had no complaints. However I just got my first full custom built off a defiance action and it amazing. The gun isn't anymore accurate but you can just "feel" the quality of it. I love it and my rem 700 customs will never feel tge same again. The only smith I have substantial expierence with is Travis at rbros rifles. He built amazing rifles. He guarantees all builds has load data for all builds and will sell a turn key setup scope n all. You can't lose going with him. I just shot a one hole 3 shot group with my new rifle from him the other day. Regardless of what smith you use research them and vet them. Lots of smith's have guarantees now, there are lots of wannabe smith's out there.

Travis does build some super accurate rifles! I have a few that are fantastic hunting rigs for LRH! As stated above, you can't go wrong with RBROS. In fact, 6.5 guys just did a great interview with Travis on youtube, look it up, it's interesting!

lightbulbYes, the rifle has the capability but that's only part of the factor, the biggest factor is the "NUT" behind the trigger. The "NUT" behind the trigger must also have the ability to make the required shot - PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.lightbulb

I agree with Broz, I've always found bigger to be better when it comes to killing game. I'd say you should get the largest caliber rifle you can shoot ACCURATELY, and head to the woods. All the horsepower in the world does you no good if you flinch so hard you jerk the shot off target. Just my .02 for what it's worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.