Long Range Elk Gun, What caliber you would choose?

Long range elk: given your parameters..... I wouldn't hunt elk! But, that's just my opinion.....much the same as this statement..... .338 and above! But, that's just me! memtb

As long as one can hit the mark ( bullet placement ) Have taken a few bulls with my custom 7MM Rem mag w/ 28 in tube , 30-378 Wby, 300 WBY, 300 Win Mag and my 280 Rem. Have used the 338 Win Mag with 210 gr Nosler partitions also. My buddy only had one gun ( a winchester Western in 264 Win Mag using 140 gr ) and he hunted all around with me, goats, sheep, rams, moose, elk, ONE SHOT ONE KILL.. God bless him, taught me a lot about hunting and shooting for SURE.

I've been a longtime lurker on this site, but never posted.
I've been thinking about putting together a new rifle that would function as gun that would have enough go to anchor an elk out to 1000 yards.
Pretend that components are not impossible to find, which would you choose?
To use as a guideline some things to think about would be not an overwhelming about of recoil from a 9-11lb gun with a brake, 1500 ft/lbs out to 1000 yards, and either 7mm or 30 cal.

On paper I have yet to see something that can beat what a 28 Nosler or 7 RBH with 195 Berger going around 3175-3250(depending on which of the 2 you use).
Me and my buddies have been hunting out west for some time now and every time I come back I want to build a different gun Probably because I'm obsessed. The last few times that i've taken my seven Weatherby and a 65 300 Weatherby and they will both shoot far with enough energy and velocity to do a job however after this last run in New Mexico for sheep I find myself wanting a monster shooter like a 338 lapua or even a 375 CT. I guess what I'm trying to say is what do you want to end up with in the long run just go for it now save your self a lot of time and money then again i don't regret it. It sure was fun

PS can anybody recommend a long range shooter in at 338 Lappula or 375 cheytac how are those FN baillista or the Barrett or even accuracy arms

338-378WTBY and be done. I have one and i do not shoot it much. I'm not looking for 1K anymore I run my 8 1/2lb 340 WTBY and it strikes like Thor's hammer 500 yards an in. The longest shot on game animal I've ever taken was 710 yards with my 338-378 on a large black bear. He slammed the ground and then rolled about 50 yards down the hillside.

Pick one that meets your parameters and don't deter. Latest and greatest isn't always what its cracked up to be...

300 RUM, Antelope at 419 through 15 mph wind, with 150's at 3550 fps. Used 180 TTSX's at 3250 fps for a 5x6 bull at 374 yards. What's not to like with that kind of versatility? I'm just a hunter, no long range 1000 yard type target shooting experience.

Anchor an elk at 1k, 375 Cheytac. Elk are bullet proof.

Oh wait, you asked caliber not cartridge. After reading much advice on here, the caliber that knocks them dead on arrival is .308", and nothing else is effective. Bullet construction, velocity,stability, etc. are not important. Any .308" diameter bullet is automatically more betterest! Just ignore all the other posts.

300 RUM, Antelope at 419 through 15 mph wind, with 150's at 3550 fps. Used 180 TTSX's at 3250 fps for a 5x6 bull at 374 yards. What's not to like with that kind of versatility? I'm just a hunter, no long range 1000 yard type target shooting experience.
Try a 230 Hyb @ 3113fps. That will lay down the law on anything.

.340Weatherby Mk V

Attachments

• IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
My personal experience with elk over 1K is just 2. Shot a bull 4 years ago with a 7 mag. 180 grain Berger HVLD doing 2997 MV, at 1098 yards. Bullet mushroomed nicely without blowing apart on a broadside shot, elk stumbled 40 yards down the hill and piled up. Shot another bull this year at 1176 yards with a 300 WSM shooting 215 Berger hybrids at 2817 MV. Shot was quartering away and bullet entered behind the ribs running length wise through him, coming up through a rib and stopping it the front end of a back strap just forward of the shoulder. Expansion was minimal but bull ran 50 yards and done. That WSM load may do better at 1K but I'm testing Accubond LR as it's rated to expand down to 1300 FPS. 210 grain Berger HVLD's may be a better choice for this application as well. After a lot of research, yesterday I ordered a 30" 9 twist heavy varmint taper from Krieger to begin building a 300 Norma Improved. 245 grain Berger's started at 3K are moving ~1800 FPS and delivering ~1800 ft lbs at 1500 yards according to my Kestrel AB.

Disclaimer: I have never shot an elk. That said, IMHO, I would use the largest round that I could consistently hold under .75 MOA at the longest range I may encounter a shot opportunity. YMMV

Recent Posts