Long Range Elk Caliber

Thanks guys. This is exactly what I wanted, upfront answers and info. This helps much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

" Muzzle velocity is around 5000 ft/lbs!!!! so be sure of what's behind your target. "

You sure you'll get full penetration on them critters? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Too bad seagulls are protected, we don't have prairie dogs here but I'd sure like to stake out a freshly plowed field from 800-1000m with my 300WM.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Seagulls have body armor now? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif No prairie dogs here either, we make a considerable drive to find an area with proper reactive targets. I'm having a 300WM built as we speak, should be interesting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Meister, How about some details on the 300 WM you are putting together? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Takman, Are you having 2nd thoughts on the 300RUM? The 338 Lapua is a great cartridge but I have stuck with the 338RUM (two rifles built so far) and my Lapua was sold. Nathan

I was leaning toward a heavier 300 RUM which would have been my second one but want to look at the 338 RUM a little harder. I will be building a new 300 WIN as I really like the caliber but want a little different version than the one I have. My current one is a tweener, not light , not heavy. I was thinking either a heavy 300 WIN or heavy 300 RUM originally for the long range deal. So give me the scoop on your 338 RUM's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here goes, Remington 700 action fresh from the factory trued and accurized per Crane specs, Obermeyer tube, cryogenically treated- specs to be determined after my guy has a chat with boots. McMillan A5 stock with thumbwheel adjustable cheekpiece and 3 way adjustable buttplate. Shilen trigger, not sure on the lower steel, maybe a HS detachable mag kit. Badger 20 MOA rail, badger 30mm rings, Leupold Mark4 16x M1 glass. Not sure on the finish either, maybe Cerra-cote.

I'm hoping to maybe shoot F-class if it's light enough.

My last Obermeyer barrel would shoot 3/8" 5 shot at 200y. Even after 3000 rounds, no problem.

There's nothing wrong with the 300 and 338 RUM, good terminal ballistics. The lapua has a thicker case and can handle more CU's but you pay for it. Look at hodgdon website for velicities and such. Very good value in the RUM's. I'm Building the WM because I want a little more range than my 308, but want some barrel life too.

Meister, Get us pics when you get er dun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
"Too bad seagulls are protected, we don't have prairie dogs here but I'd sure like to stake out a freshly plowed field from 800-1000m with my 300WM.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've found that seagull are only protected when someone is watching. In my book they are right in there with those flying rats called pigeons.

To the poster. When my 30-378 barrel burns out. It's going to become a 30 inch 338-378. Brass is $45 a box of 20. I have a couple of hundred 30-378 just waiting to get resized upwards. Kirby Allen could help you on your gun build

Budlight

If you necked that thing down one more notch to a 284-378Wby you would have an excuse to get a new gun more often.

Kirby uses the 338LM and squiches it down to the correct size -284.

I have a Rem 700 in 338 RUM that I plan on smacking an elk with this fall. It is currently undergoing a makeover--I'll post pics and details when it is done. It shoots the 225 gr AB -- .550 BC at 3000 fps (it should do 3100 fps) half inch at 100 yds. It is ported and kicks like a .270 .
Having said that, the 300 RUM should be impressive with the 200 gr AB at around 3200 fps with its impressive .588 BC .
Just my 2 cents.

Sambo, What length barrel are you using? Reason I am asking is I began shooting 225 AB's from my 338 RUM and am getting 3270fps from a 30" 5 groove barrel with no problems. Nathan

Nathanial,

What load are you using in your 338 RUM?
I have great accuracy with 96.0 grs RL25 and Federal
GM215M primer. I will get this loas chronographed this spring and post results. I am shooting a M700 LSS.

JD338

[ QUOTE ]
Sambo, What length barrel are you using? Reason I am asking is I began shooting 225 AB's from my 338 RUM and am getting 3270fps from a 30" 5 groove barrel with no problems. Nathan

[/ QUOTE ]

I am shooting a factory Remington 26" barrel. This is a just under max load of 7828 (what I had at the time)for 3000 fps. I bought a pound of Retumbo which should give the 3100 fps. I just got the barreled action back from being Duracoated yesterday. It needs another week to cure, then my friend is going to help me pillar bed it to the stock. Then I can burn some Retumbo. I'll post pics and details in a couple of weeks. Nothing cool like some of the beasts Kirby and BD408 are churning out, but should fit the bill for a LR carry gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.