Long Range Elk Caliber

Takman

Looking for opinions on caliber choice for a long range elk project. Long range being 400-1000 yds.

You should include these in your question:

I hand load or don't hand load

Yes I want a custom gun

Weight - like target 30 inch barrels

do you max performance or just a get the job done.

what do you want 7mm 30 cal or 338 cal

For a dedicated elk rifle for use at 1000 yards I do prefer a 338 caliber rifle but that is greatly dependant on what bullet you use and what chambering you are using.

It is a pretty established rule though that for mature, trophy bull elk at 1000 yards, the 338 cal with at least 300 gr bullets is a good choice.

As already mentioned, there are alot of options to deal with concerning this question!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I went with 300WM. That way I can get by without a brake and still enjoy shooting the gun a lot. Of course, I don't plan on actually shooting elk over 600 yds. I'd have gone with a .338 at 1000 too.

338 Lapua Mag, 338 Lapua Improved, 338 RUM, 338 Edge/338-300, 338-378 Weatherby. 300 RUM, 300 Weatherby,... and others.....

You might search a little on this site, there is a wealth of info on this subject. The calibers are endless, it's mainly personal preference. More info on what you want to do with the rifle will help.
Are you going to carry it in the field? If so what is your weight limit? Do you reload? are you going to use a brake? How long must the barrel last? Must the ammo be readily available and cheap? Are you wary of serious recoil? Lastly, how deep are your pockets?

Yes I do handload. I will go custom. I own Two "walking Weight" guns in 300 WM and 300 Ultra. Actually, three, I also have a 7mm Rem Mag. I use brakes on the 300's. I don't want a super heavyweight. As far as handloading goes, I enjoy doing so but don't want to spend more time at the bench than the range. In other words don't want to get to exotic. Hope this helps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well, sounds like the 300 you have might do it, but if you want serious bang flop factor you'll want to talk to Kirby(fiftydriver) or Black Diamond 408 about their 338-408 wonder cartridges. 338RUM or 338 Lapua Magnum would do quite nicely as well and they are standard rounds you can buy brass for. The RUM is cheaper and easier to come by brass. The Lapua carries about 1500 Ft/lbs at 1000 yards, it will also stay supersonic to about 1800-1900 yards. At this point it sounds like you want a standard round in a custom rifle, it's totally personal preference on which one you want. Be sure you get an efficient brake, no reason to dislocate a shoulder. Good luck and I hope this helped!

Meister, Tell me a little more about the 338 Laupa. I know it is popular on the 1000 yd circuit and brass is readily available from Laupa.

[ QUOTE ]
brass is readily available from Laupa

[/ QUOTE ]

About $1.50+ a piece and lots of places have it on backorder.

Has a very large bolt face- 0.590.

Takman,

The 338 Laupa is an excellent round but brass is both expensive and sometimes more difficult to get.
The 338 RUM is in the same league as the Laupa. Brass is cheaper and readialy available. The recoil isn't all that bad. I have a M700LSS w/ a Pachmyer Decelerator pad and have shot 25 rounds from bench and field positions, including prone, with no ill effects.
Accuracy is excellent from the factory tube. I have shot many groups under .5" off the bench with 200 gr BT, 210 gr PT, 225 gr PT and 250 gr PT bullets.I am just over .5" with the 225 gr AB and will work on that load pretty soon.
For target shooting, you can use a 200 gr to 225 gr bullets like the Nosler BT or AB. For hunting, you can go up from the 225 gr to 250 gr+ loads to hammer elk at long range.

Any way you choose, there are many great choices. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Hope this helps you out.

Regards,

JD338

Lapua Magun history
I bought mine to kill Pdogs at long range, like 1500-1900 yds, if I can..... I can shoot mine all day if I double up on hearing protection and take out a second mortgage. My collection of brass is up to 400+ so I can use it for a couple of days per hunting trip.
Barrel life is between 1200-1500 rounds before accuracy starts to degrade badly. It shoots the ultra accurate and wind bucking 300 grain sierra matchking with a BC of .768 above 2500 fps. If I have to hit a target at long range in adverse conditions, it's my choice. Muzzle velocity is around 5000 ft/lbs!!!! so be sure of what's behind your target.

I think guy really oughta have himself a 408 Cheytac. I mean why keep spending money when you know youll never be happy w/o one? Besides as you get older that fifty just starts to get too heavy and the novelty of hunting elk with it starts to wear off after the first trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.