Ultra Long Range Caliber?

DoubleGobble00

I just bought a BAT 1.55 MB action with a magnum bolt face and a cheytac bolt face. What should I build for extreme long range shooting with the best wind advantage? I am thinking something like the 338 snipetac, 375 cheytac, etc. Might could trade the magnum bolt for Lapua 338 bolt. I would like to stick with the 338 bullets since they are becoming more and more available. Seems like through all my reading the 375 just gives you more thump but not more wind advantage. Velocity of the 338 seems to trump the 375.

What would you build and why? It will be built in a McMillan A5 with painkiller muzzlebrake and jewel 2oz trigger. This will be a single shot.

DoubleG

Kirby's Allen Mag, is about the top end of a 338 cartridge. It will push a 300grn SMK to 3400+fps. That will get well out to a mile plus for anything you would like to ring or kill.

Tank

In order to make a recommendation on an "Ultra Long Range Caliber, we really need to know what you consider ultra long range.

The .338 Lapua will certainly take care of the itch at long range.

Using the .408 case will give you a leg up on the Lapua.

Your analysis when comparing the .338-.408 to the .375-.408 is right on. Yes, the .375 will offer more energy as you are carrying a larger, heavier bullet, but the current production LR bullet is fair at best. My experience in shooting both at extreme ranges, is that the .375 and the .338 are ballistic twins out to lets say 1800-2000 yards.
That being said, it you want to step up past the Lapua, the .338-.408 is the logical choice.

Soon there will be a few more LR .338 bullets on the market, which makes this choice that much more desirable.

I've shot a few tiny groups with the .338-.408 and production bullets at one mile. All of my .338's on the .408 case are improved.

You're certainly starting out well. I don't think you can do much, if any, better than a BAT receiver. They are as good as you can get IMO.

If a person was looking to step up to the big dog 408 based 338's Kirby's 338AM and his one stop shopping would be tough to overlook.

+1 with B23 on the BAT action and 338AM. I'm going with the BAT Model
M155R, single shot, right bolt, dual port-left feed, right eject, spiral
fluted bolt.

Last edited:
Ultra long range means, to me, beyond 1500 pushing 3000 yds. I suppose that this would be at rocks and stuff.

I decided to go with the 375 Allen Mag on the large Bat action. It should be along, shortly. (I hope, I hope, I hope) Its my 67th birthday gift from me to me.:cool:

With current major factory bullet offerings (Sierra) as stated above, the 300 SMK and 350 SMKs are twins from the 338 and 375 cals.

However, Just a bit more development on a heavier 375 is what made the decision easy for me. Plus, Paul @ Wildcat bullets has a bit of twinkle in his eye about a 375 offering. Paul is really good to work with and will soon become a bullet maker to recon with.

This is a bit of a moot point for me as I don't have a 375 nor do I have one in the works but for those that do has anyone tried any Rocky Mountain Bullets? They have some great looking BC's.

I have a 338LM AI on a BAT HRPIC that is nearing completion that's keeping me up at nights with thoughts of it's completion. Mine is getting a 1-10 hung on it so even when the RM Bullets do become available I won't have enough twist to use them. :(

stay with the 338 for now.

No point in building a rifle for :

1. a bullet that does not exist

2. Offers nothing other than expense over the 338

3. Requires an ultra fast twist which makes it a onebullet barrel.

too many guys have been burned by wonder bullets in ultra fast twist barrels and that no bullets exist now on this forum for sure.

If you want a 375 wait until someone comes out with a good bullet for the 375 that is readily available!

Shoot the 338 and just rebarrel if and when the wonder bullet show up with marketable and reliable mftrs.

BH

too many guys have been burned by wonder bullets in ultra fast twist barrels and that no bullets exist now on this forum for sure.

If you want a 375 wait until someone comes out with a good bullet for the 375 that is readily available!

Shoot the 338 and just rebarrel if and when the wonder bullet show up with marketable and reliable mftrs.

BH

+1, I have to agree. Right now the 375 SMK is a limited supply bullet. Once they are gone, they are gone. If you want to amp it up a bit then you jump to the 408 Chytech and the 416 Barrett. These will be your ultimate long range rifles, but components and finding the powder they use to reach their ballistics will be very pricey. You are looking at 5 to 7 dollars a shot. The 50cal is going to be the same.

Tank

I'm used to living in that world. I have a 270 AM for which bullets to match the cartridge are impossible at this point to come by. Thus until such time as a bullet maker finally gets to turning them out, I shoot lighter manufacturer offerings and make some myself.

Not if the proper bullet, about 375 class becomes available.

What's bad about that?

I'm one of those but will come out in the end. See comment to #1.

Some of us "know" that the future will bring the solution. Build it and they will come.:)

Thought about that but have never heard of a reasonably treated 338 barrel being shot out. Wouldn't consider swaping a good bbl just for that upgrade.

BH

ALSO: Right now the 375 SMK is a limited supply bullet. Once they are gone, they are gone.

I learned from the earlier experience and have a life time supply of 350 SMKs on hand IF I shoot the rifle big game hunting only. If I go for PDs it may be a different story.:)

Originally Posted by BountyHunter

I'm used to living in that world. I have a 270 AM for which bullets to match the cartridge are impossible at this point to come by. Thus until such time as a bullet maker finally gets to turning them out, I shoot lighter manufacturer offerings and make some myself.
Gee, kind of makes my point about one bullet guns that cannot live to the hype and expense!!

Not if the proper bullet, about 375 class becomes available.
Until then, "pigs will have to learn to fly" maybe too. Too dang limited market right now for quality readily available "proper" 375s. Maybe later, mabye not.:rolleyes:

What's bad about that?
Nothing IF, you get lucky and that barrel likes them. If not you are SOL. seen that happen more than once.

I'm one of those but will come out in the end. See comment to #1.
So you greatly hope! See comment #1 too.

Some of us "know" that the future will bring the solution. Build it and they will come.:)
And maybe it will bring tears of frustration:cool:

Thought about that but have never heard of a reasonably treated 338 barrel being shot out. Wouldn't consider swaping a good bbl just for that upgrade.
All barrels that get shot, get shot out! Do not be naive, get out of lala land.

Roy

Lot if's here and hope. Nothing wrong IF you know the pitfalls and are prepared to take it in the shorts, but normally not a practice for uninformed.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.