Long Range Copper Bullets

In time we should see more of the solids for hunting surface. They have came along ways as far as high BC bullets being used for shooting steel.

Iamosoh
JH

Last edited:
Just keep rolling with those hammers. Pretty good BC and they thump critters.

Not to hijack your thread but I'm contemplating a move to CA for work how's the hunting on public lands?
It sucks! I would never move here for the hunting. I only live here for the money and my parents. Too many laws, too many liberals, too many taxes. This state sucks.

No, never served (God Bless those that have and those that are now serving). I went to school in the 60's and 70's when students were taught more important things than the PC crap they get these days.

I was looking at Hammer's website, dang they really have a good selection of solids for hunting purposes. I might be looking at the .264s to see how they perform.

Iamosoh

Last edited:
Its good to see the discussion on available solids for hunting.

Codyadams I thought about your latest comment. The hatchet or banning.

Tell me what comment numbers (12, 13, 15 and 29} have to do with choices of solid bullets let alone #42?

Reading muleskinners post on 43 makes sense to his natural response defending his area, in which anyone would be aggravated. as seen in 47 through 52.

None of the comments about taking a dump in the streets, being brain dead and so on having nothing to contribute to bullet designs and solids.

Just my opinion

Iamosoh

comment #60 ALSO, contributes zero to the thread.

just my opinion.

So, i am California, where all ammo has to be lead free now and i am struggling to find a good long range Copper or lead free bullet. This can be either custom ammo or factory. I have been shooting Hammer Bullets out of my other guns and it seems to work well out to about 300 yards but i want something that will be good out to 700+. This is for a custom 7mm rem mag and i am going to be shooting mainly mule deer and elk with it. Any Recommendations??

What made you conclude it will not work at 700+ yards?

Thats fine but at least it may make some think a little.

As far as solids, I have messed with some in the early years, cutting edge lazers some say they expand well others don't. I tried them but only for shooting at steel. I am lucky enough to not have to depend on them to be able to hunt. Rocky Mountain used to make a good solid hunting bullet as well.

Iamosoh

So, i am California, where all ammo has to be lead free now and i am struggling to find a good long range Copper or lead free bullet. This can be either custom ammo or factory. I have been shooting Hammer Bullets out of my other guns and it seems to work well out to about 300 yards but i want something that will be good out to 700+. This is for a custom 7mm rem mag and i am going to be shooting mainly mule deer and elk with it. Any Recommendations??
Ryan sorry for the sideways detour your question went-on this forum (defending or not). It was out of line.
I looked back to find the cal you were asking about but didn't. For 28nos I was looking at the 143gr. Hh. Steve gave me great input on bullets, and can send you some stats if you ask. I also started researching on hammer time their forum, which has a lot of great loads and bullet data to help you.

I know the OP mentioned a custom 7mm Rem but he failed to mention the length and twist of the barrel. All very important info in order to give him a good bullet recommendation...

All high BC copper bullets will require faster twists.

Now if the OP is running a 1:8 twist and a 26" barrel, I would recommend the Hammer 177. IF.... he can push it at 2900fps from the barrel and uses a minimum speed of 2000 fps for the bottom terminal speed, then he will be good to 650 yards at sea level and 850 yards at 4000 feet. The more common 9 twist would likely force him to use a lighter and lower BC bullet that likely won't meet his goals for elk at 700+ yards.

Ryan sorry for the sideways detour your question went-on this forum (defending or not). It was out of line.
I looked back to find the cal you were asking about but didn't. For 28nos I was looking at the 143gr. Hh. Steve gave me great input on bullets, and can send you some stats if you ask. I also started researching on hammer time their forum, which has a lot of great loads and bullet data to help you.

I am sending my 7mmRem to Steve this week for load development.

I also discussed 143vs155 with him and he likes the 143's. I looked at the numbers and they are pretty close.....the 155 carries more ME and SD but the 143's are flatter shooting.

My twist is 1:8 so plenty stable with either

I'm still on the fence but now leaning towards the 155's for more mass.

Just picking your brain as to why you chose 143's

Hope this isn't too off topic but I think that it applies to OP's thoughts

Thanks Fellas

Why only good to 300y? Something must be wrong, would like to figure out what.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.