Long range bullets at close range

Sectional density is more of a factor , with cup and core bullets in every caliber , than with a mono . A Hammer or Barnes will penetrate more because of retained weight , the hammer will out penetrate a Barnes because of the shedding of the petals allowing the shank to keep penetrating . I personally don't worry about sectional density in any cal or bullet weight when shooting a hammer bullet , because if you have enough velocity the bullet will keep penetrating . You can't spin or push them too fast on impact velocity in my experience

Sectional density is more of a factor , with cup and core bullets in every caliber , than with a mono . A Hammer or Barnes will penetrate more because of retained weight , the hammer will out penetrate a Barnes because of the shedding of the petals allowing the shank to keep penetrating . I personally don't worry about sectional density in any cal or bullet weight when shooting a hammer bullet , because if you have enough velocity the bullet will keep penetrating . You can't spin or push them too fast on impact velocity in my experience
Barnes arent designed to shed petals. Just to peel back into 4 pedels to expand . Hammers a whole different breed . Shedding 4 petals. I didn't tell story about running whitetail buck at 25 yards this month but I'm pretty sure a petel hit one one lung and cut kidney I half. It dropped and never moved. It did peirce on stomach chamber. A little too far bar on shot. Didn't lead enough but was a 3 second afair. I've been shooting Barnes since 1993. And Hammers since 2019. I'm 65. I know all about sectional density , ft. pds. Energy, etc.Been reloading since I was 18. This year and last I used all Hammers 6.5 and 30 cal. . Tomorrow a doe whitetail. My last tag. Educate me sonny 😉 last year I used a 156 Berger on some deer and lope. Somewhat meat destructive. Last year on deer and lope I had good luck with 124 Hammer in 6.5 PRC.

Barnes arent designed to shed petals. Just to peel back into 4 pedels to expand . Hammers a whole different breed . Shedding 4 petals. I didn't tell story about running whitetail buck at 25 yards this month but I'm pretty sure a petel hit one one lung and cut kidney I half. It dropped and never moved. It did peirce on stomach chamber. A little too far bar on shot. Didn't lead enough but was a 3 second afair. I've been shooting Barnes since 1993. And Hammers since 2019. I'm 65. I know all about sectional density , ft. pds. Energy, etc.Been reloading since I was 18. This year and last I used all Hammers 6.5 and 30 cal. . Tomorrow a doe whitetail. My last tag. Educate me sonny 😉 last year I used a 156 Berger on some deer and lope. Somewhat meat destructive. Last year on deer and lope I had good luck with 124 Hammer in 6.5 PRC.
I got you beat I'm 73 been loading since I was 15 yrs old used too thin k Barnes was the best thing since sliced bread and have loaded every thing in between . The 124 gr Hammer and the 6.5 Prc at 3400 fps is the load for me. I haven't stopped one yet , except in my dirt backstop

I got you beat I'm 73 been loading since I was 15 yrs old used too thin k Barnes was the best thing since sliced bread and have loaded every thing in between . The 124 gr Hammer and the 6.5 Prc at 3400 fps is the load for me. I haven't stopped one yet , except in my dirt backstop
👍🏼 Maybe you do ? I won't count how many Kills with Barnes, Nosler, Hornady, Sierra , Speer, Swift, Berger, Hammer, etc. In 9 states But you could have me beat. I know what works and how far. I'm in no contest. I just know where to shoot with what bullet and caliber and it had worked for me😉

Last edited:
👍🏼 Maybe you do ? I won't count how many Kills with Barnes, Nosler, Hornady, Sierra , Speer, Swift, Berger, Hammer, etc. In 9 states But you could have me beat. I know what works and how far. I'm in no contest. I just know where to shoot with what bullet and caliber and it had worked for me😉
There you go , you beat me , I've only hunted Tx , Colorado , and Wyoming , but I got you beat in age.

I've done some searching but haven't found what I thought was the answer. So…

If you are set up with a long range bullet, (let's just say a Berger EOL) and a shot presents itself at a close range. How do you handle that shot?

I've read a couple things; aim for bone or have a mono bullet built that aims close.

I'd like to have your thoughts.
Use the Berger Hybrids and just shoot behind the shoulder close or far they will do the job. Berger bullets are designed to penetrate a few inches and then open destroying the internal organs. Practice and good marksmanship is the key. I started using a custom built 25X284 and I shoot 133 gr Berger Elites and they are devastating on elk from a cow at 75 yards to over 1000 yards. You cannot push those mono bullet fast enough to do what the Berger's will do at long range. I would feel comfortable shooting this rifle to 1200 yards easy and anything in between. Last but not least is stop shooting the shoulder on elk! Put it in the boiler room and they go down. DRT!

Use the Berger Hybrids and just shoot behind the shoulder close or far they will do the job. Berger bullets are designed to penetrate a few inches and then open destroying the internal organs. Practice and good marksmanship is the key. I started using a custom built 25X284 and I shoot 133 gr Berger Elites and they are devastating on elk from a cow at 75 yards to over 1000 yards. You cannot push those mono bullet fast enough to do what the Berger's will do at long range. I would feel comfortable shooting this rifle to 1200 yards easy and anything in between. Last but not least is stop shooting the shoulder on elk! Put it in the boiler room and they go down. DRT!
At a thousand yds , what happens if you hit the shoulder on an elk , with the133 Bergers, are they going in a few in with no exit or blood trail ? Curios , personally my range limitation on my 25-284 , with 90 gr absolutes and 3874 fps at 500 yds is good enough for anything I would shoot with my 25 cal . I would choose a bigger cal for any elk hunt I might go on . I have no experience with the 133 Berger , but comparing velocity , it would be interesting at what yardage the 133 Berger would catch up too the Hammers minimal 1800 fps terminal threshold , with a mv of 3874 fps.

Gday priely isn't this thread on what longrange bullets do up close 🤷‍♂️so what happens when the critter spins on a dime & the left last rib is encountered or worse a even harder quarter away while you've squeezed off yep your Berger ISNoT your pill but if you just want to kill ok it will do that ( also maybe a lost critter a possibility) but other brands /types will do a way better job , that's my position & always looking forward to seeing more & I note you stated the 133 gr 25 cal Berger which wasn't around in my day when I used bergers & A high probability it is no different than a lot of others I've used but that's my thoughts & previous experiences

So a Couple questions
1/ why are you saying stop shooting the shoulder ( angles / resistances for my reference only )
2/ what was the shot placement on the 75 yard & over 1000 yard
3/ what were these velocity impacts
4/ where did the 2 ranges open up on impact of the pill in the critter
5/ was a exit achieved if not position of retained pill & weight
6/ length of penertration
7/ where on the length of this penertration did the wound channel start to lesson or was it the same all the way through
8/ the pills path straight line or not even tumble ( but that's hard to see all the time with clarity )

There are others but I will leave that for another day & im not being smart or just flinging things out there as I carefully take note of all of those above & more & also it's not done off one impact /angle to form a base of where a pills weaknesses are as if we can help stop even one of those weaknesses happening that's great news for us & critter

Mine it was done over more than I'll mention here but a few know I didn't mess around
Just for note zoom up on my avatar as these just arrived home & were only a small sample of what was taken in about 10 /12 days hunting / testing not all mine but my hands got a little bloody lol yep going through those questions above & more

I'm no guru just lucky to have done what I've done & taking notes while observing along the way has been priceless / clearer for me on what pill to use on what & where

cheers

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

A policy that I fervently believe in……especially so with bullets! memtb
My belief also
Everybody knows that there is no one bullet that can cover all conditions, understand your bullets limits
Do not use target bullets or hunting
bb