Long Range .243 Plinking

Jud96

We were shooting our .243s the other day. My Dad and I both have matching Remington Model 700 ADL Varmint rifles chambered in .243 Winchester. I have shot mine a pretty good amount but never really printed a group with it at distance. We were shooting on our cousins' farm the other day with some shooting buddies and my cousins at some steel plates. The ranges were 700yds and 800yds. Only shot a few at the 800yd plate because the wind was picking up and I didn't have a zero for that range but I got all my shots on the plate so I was happy.

The group below was printed by me and my Dad. The three shots that are close together are two of mine and the one that he shot. The low one was mine and was a bad shot. I didn't get to measure them up but I'm pretty happy with the results. My Dad also fired two other shots for group and had them touching just above the orange dot. He intentionally shot at my two shots to see how close he could get and he sunk it right in there.

We were shooting off bipods and back sandbags. My Dad's load was 44grns of IMR 4350 with an 87gr Hornady HPBT using a Winchester LR primer and Federal brass that is match prepped. I was shooting the same load but with an 87gr V-MAX. I am pretty excited for printing my first long range group with this rifle and getting these results, also happy to do it with my varmint load!

Attachments

• 1419798692815.jpg
    1419798692815.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 61
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.