Long Range Bullets for 243

scsims

I posted this in the reloading section and realize this question my be better suited for this topic:

I have a Rem 700 VLS in 243, using a Burris 3x9x40 balistic plex and have a pretty good load now using 85gr Sierra HPBT over 37gr of Varget. I'm getting an average of 3050fps on the chrony and averaging .5 MOA at 100 and under 2 in at 300.

So now I would like to begin trying to shoot 300+ but I think I need a bullet with a higher BC.

My rifle has a 1/9.125 twist. How long of bullet will it stabilize?

Which bullets and powder do you recomend? I currently have Varget, IMR4831, BLC2 and Benchmark.

Will this scope work with dailing in MOA or should I get a new one. I was thinking of looking to change the Bushnell 10x40 Tatical.

243 load

i was loading for a friend that had a 243 vls. we tried 95 bergers. did not keyhole but never found a load that would shoot a decent group. another to try are the 105 hornady. may or may not work. they are more readily available than berger. i have shot both 87 grain hornady and 88 grain berger from a 1 in 12 hart barrel with great results. roninflag

i have a 6wssm that i can shoot the 105 a-max with. the barrel is supposed to be a 9 twist. they sure will put a hurtin on deer. the 87 v-max will shoot with a 9T and have heard several say they shoot very well at distance.other than the a-max, you want to stay in the 87-95 gr weight range.

with your twist if you can get them close to 3000 it will shoot the 105's and 107 just fine. mine does...

I'm working up loads for a Ruger M77VT in .243, which has a 1 in 9 twist.

I've settled on Hornady 95gr SST's or Nosler 95 gr BT's. The only difference I can find is that the Nosler has a boat-tail.

With 34 gr of Varget, these chrono at around 2900 fps. I'm still experimenting with COL. Books recommend 2.650".

When I get some pictures, I'll post them.

As far as the scope goes, 3x9 sounds a little low power for 300 yds+, but the first test is shooting a "box". If it will pass that test, I understand it is at least capable of being used for a "dial the shot" technique from drop charts and wind dope.

Last edited:
Try 95 Bergers. I was shooting them out of my 6mm Rem Remington 40X with a 1-10" twist. They stabilized fine. It is also the only bullet I shoot out of my 1-9.??? twist 243 Savage FV. I use 42.3 gr of H4831sc with Fed 210 primers. just makesure you seat them to touch the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.