Loc-Tite on a muzzle brake ?

Laelkhunter

Does anyone use loc-tite on a muzzle brake, or just hand tighten them? I find that after three or four shots, I can turn the brake a little to bottom it out (less than 1/8 of a turn). It is apparently coming loose a little after several shots. Should I use some type of thread-locker? It does not have a set screw or crush washer. I remove the brake and put the thread protector on when I clean the rifle, and carefully clean the carbon from the brake before re- installing, so I don't think it should be "locked on" so that I can't remove for cleaning.

I was told you should lubricate them and torque them to about 30 ft lbs.

I was told you should lubricate them and torque them to about 30 ft lbs.

+1
I like to use Anti seize on brakes so they can be removed for cleaning or replacing with a thread protector.

If the threads are good and the shoulder is square you should have no problem after torqueing.

I use a piece of drill rod or a Philips head screw driver to tighten the brake.

Loc-tite can sometimes cause gaulding and once this happens you will never be able to remove the brake again.

J E CUSTOM

+1
I like to use Anti seize on brakes so they can be removed for cleaning or replacing with a thread protector.

If the threads are good and the shoulder is square you should have no problem after torqueing.

I use a piece of drill rod or a Philips head screw driver to tighten the brake.

Loc-tite can sometimes cause gaulding and once this happens you will never be able to remove the brake again.

J E CUSTOM

I was wondering about galling the threads since the barrel is stainless and the brake is blued steel. That's why I was hesitant about putting anything on it.

I will say this, Loc-Tite is like a Dremel tool When working on firearms, USE IT SPARINGLY !!!!!!!

Just some advice

J E CUSTOM

I take a somewhat different view on brakes. A top Smith usually puts a good bit of time in installing and indexing brakes. Mine use anti-seize on the threads and warn me the more I remove & replace it, the more likely the indexing will be off, over time. Now, I don't know if that's true, but I tend to not remove them more than yearly and then only to do an inspection. My first step in cleaning is to saturate brake with BoreTech carbon remover and use a brush to get at the tough spots. Just the way I do it, not a problem so far.

+1

J E CUSTOM

What brand of anti-seize do you use ? I have some Permatex automotive anti-seize, but it smells BAD !!! I would be concerned about using it on my Elk rifle. If they made it in Cow Elk in estrus scent, that would be the ticket !!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.