Loads for 6.5-06AI

Pecos

Gentlemen,

I would like to pick your collective brains and see what ya'll recommend for loads for the 6.5-06AI. I notice from reading about 1000k matches the folks who are using 6.5 cal all seem to like RL22.

My rifle is a mod 70, with a 26 inch Shilen SS select match barrel 1-8 twist.

So far using the Hornady 140 grain AMAX I have gotten a 3.7 inch group at 500 meters.

I really have no favorite bullet or powder I use whatever gives the best results and I am more interested in accuracy than I am velocity.

Thanks

Pecos

I'll second the H4831sc as it works very well in the standard 6.5-06. You mentioned shooting 3.7" at 5oo yards. Not sure what your intended purposes are but that is not bad shooting. You are well under minute of angle and plenty good enough for long range hunting.

My main purpose is using it as hunting rifle, but there are a couple of 1000 yard shoots in the area and I am looking for 140 grain loads.

I shot the 3.7 inch group using Hornady 129 grain interlocks loaded with H4831SC, don't have the exact load handy, and it chrono's at 3230 fps.

I have just started experminting with the 140 grain bullets.

I built this rifle on a Mod70 action did everything to it and put a Shilen SS select match barrel on it. 26 inches and 1-8 twist.

Pecos

You should give the match bullets a try like the 142 Sierra, 140 A-max, 140 JLK, and 140 Berger. If you are under minute of angle already with just a hunting bullet, the gun sounds like it has promise.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.