Loading my 25-06

YOSEPPY

I've been trying to find a good load for my 25-06 with the Berger 115. I've been trying to usual suspects imr 4831 retumbo vv n165 and came across something interesting and I'm not sure what happened I started at the bottom and was going to work up here's 6 shots of the n165 at 49.5grs the first three shots were amazing figured boom I've got something to work with. Next three left me scratching my head this is at 200 yards off a bench bipod an rear bag

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 104
I use RL-22 in my 25/06 with bergers, sierras its what it seems to like. little over 3200fps on 115gr bergers and 3150 with 117gr sierra

I had great results with RE25 and 115gr Bergers, unfortunately, the supply of those have run out again here in Australia and I went back to 115gr Nosler BT's.
I've also had very good results with H1000 and Retumbo.
Your group would suggest either a barrel heat problem or a bedding problem with the action moving in the stock as it heats/cools.
Check your action screws first, then check if there are any movement marks in the bedding after disassembly.
Hope this helps you find the problem.

Cheers.
gun)

I had great results with RE25 and 115gr Bergers, unfortunately, the supply of those have run out again here in Australia and I went back to 115gr Nosler BT's.
I've also had very good results with H1000 and Retumbo.
Your group would suggest either a barrel heat problem or a bedding problem with the action moving in the stock as it heats/cools.
Check your action screws first, then check if there are any movement marks in the bedding after disassembly.
Hope this helps you find the problem.

Cheers.
gun)

I was wondering if it could have been a heat issue. The first three shots the barrel was cold. I havnt bedded the action yet so I'll do that this coming weekend since I'm headed back to work tomorrow.

I tried a few different loads in my REM700 and never found the "right" one...yet.
I picked up a box of Hornady American whitetail 117gr and they consistly will shot under 1" @ 100. Made me wonder if I should just shoot them and be done,

good luck

Remove your rear swivel screw, and try cleaning bore with copper remover, the best kind u have and try again, my gun also likes h 1000 and imr 4350 I had similar results of ur target till I cleaned mine and removed the rear screw, I was shooting off from front and rear bags

Pull on apart to see what Hornady used. If it is flat based, it is the SST. If it is SPBT, you will know by the boattail. The powder is probably not available directly, but you should be able to get close. Working around charge and seating depth a little that Hornady is using and you should be able to do even better.

That would be my preference, but I like to reload and have not used manufactured ammunition, except to break in or obtain cases, for 40 years (CF).

I tried a few different loads in my REM700 and never found the "right" one...yet.
I picked up a box of Hornady American whitetail 117gr and they consistly will shot under 1" @ 100. Made me wonder if I should just shoot them and be done,

good luck

Mine really liked hsm loads less then a inch at 200

49 grs IMR or AA 4350 with CCI 250 mag primers or 52 grs H4831 or the SC version with CCIBR2 primer in Rem cases with most 115 to 120 gr bullets usually shoots sub MOA around 3000 to 3100 fps.
My current rifle likes the 4350 load with 117 Sierra Pro Hunter flat base bullet. It will shoot it on average 1/3 MOA on light to no wind days out to 500 yards. I have not put it on paper farther out because of range limitation. I have killed deer out to 600 with this combo. About 99% of the time it is bang flop. I have killed 100+ deer with this load doing crop damage control.

I'd say shoot it again. Fire 1-3 shots then let the barrel cool down by shooting a different firearm or two. Then, shoot another 1-3 shots. That should let you figure out if it's the load or the bedding (or lack thereof).

What rifle are you using? I ask because we have a rem 700 cdl 25-06 and had similar issues. Tried several factory offerings, had it bedded, then started reloading and still would get flyers. I have now determined it is a rifle that likes to hunt. It will shoot the centers out cold bore but does not like shooting 5 shot groups. It is an absolute hammer on deer and antelope with 110 accubonds, just over 50 g 4831 and a mv of 3100-3110.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.