Anyone loading .25-06 AI?

skip AI

What Loads do you use?
What velocities are you getting?
Accuracy?

TIA

skip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Skip AI, I have two 25/06 AI's, and have being using this case since 1986.

I have chronographed loads with the 90, 100, 115 and 120 grain bullets. I used the 100 grain bullet for my field shooting for about a decade, and found that powders such as IMR 4831, Re 22, Viht 165, worked well with this bullet.

Recently decided to try the Nosler 115 grain BT in my field loads for something different, and have been getting sub 0.5 moa with this bullet using Hodgdon 1000,(AR 2217 for us in OZ).

My experience is that in a 24 inch barrel, you can obtain around 3,550 - 3600 fps with the 100 grain bullet, and 3275 - 3300 fps with the 115/120 grain bullet.

I love the case, and am looking forward to testing the Wildcat 130 and 142 grain bullets when they arrive in the next few weeks. Regards, Brian.

Thanks for that,
Well Im only a varmint hunter at the moment so I dont really use the 100s and over.
I currently use a 85gn Nosler BT and is very accurate.
I use 60gns of AR2213sc to push it out at about 3600fps (so ive been told).
I have only had it for about 3weeks and havent really looked into makeing it hotter.
What do you think the MAX load is in this cal?
Whats your setups?
Have you used the 85s?

TIA

skip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Yeah, I shoot a 25'06 Ackley, have had three, so far. I decided that the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip did everything I needed done, after trying many different powders and bullet combinations, over the years.

I have a load for 110 Bergers and 75 V-Max, but the 100 Noslers are the best all around choice, big game and large predators.

Specifically, in 270 Brass I use 57.0 grains of R-22, a Fed 210Match primer and record a MV of 3650fps from a 28.5" barrel.

Good hunting. LB

edit: I have a 1-13" twist barrel

SkipAI, There are a variety of different chamber sizes in rifles based on wildcat cases, so it is inadvisable for me or anyone to give you a specific load to use in your rifle.

To expand on the above comment, your load of 60.0 grains of AR 2213sc (H4831sc) with the 85 grain bullet would be a mild load in my rifle. 62.0 grains of AR 2213sc is my maximum load with the 100 grain bullet, so it is reasonable to assume that about 63.5 grains (100% loading density) of the same powder would probably be my maximum with the 85 grain bullet. However, apart from general interest, that is irrelevant as far as your rifle is concerned.

I suggest that first you ascertain what the usable powder capacity of your fireformed cases are. To achieve this randomly select a primed resized case, and then fill it slowly with the AR 2213sc powder until it occupies to the base of the neck. Then empty contents onto powder scale and weigh, and repeat the procedure with at least another 2 cases to get an average.

Now if your current load of 60.0 grains AR2213sc is not near achieving maximum pressure, and your test has revealed that you have another 2 - 3 grains of usable case capacity, then you can gradually increase the load by 0.5 grains at a time, fire, observe the pressure signs, and at the same time closely observe the accuracy trends. Also, I find a chronograph is certainly a valuable aid in working up to maximum pressures. So if you can either access or buy one then I believe you will find it worthwile.

If your accuracy (and velocity if tested) are not up to expectations, and you believe it is a powder problem, then I suggest you try Winchester WXR, as it it very similar in burning rate to AR 2213sc. The majority of gunshops in Australia, only stock ADI and Winchester powders, so your ability to experiment with various powders will be limited.

Although, I have not tested the Nosler 85 grain BT, judging on my results with the 90 grain bullet, and my observations of others results, I believe that you should achieve around 3,700 fps in a 24 inch barrel. Good luck, Brian.

[ QUOTE ]
so it is inadvisable for me or anyone to give you a specific load to use in your rifle.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what he asked for, mate.

Anyone that handloads understands, (or should understand) that when he asks about loads for a certain cartridge, he had better use caution, in the same manor as reading a recipe in a manual.

You're out of line, with that remark; my load would be moderate (with fireformed cases) in almost any rifle chambered for 25'06 AI.

Good hunting. LB

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif well I dident know that!
Ive only ever reloaded for one cal and I got it 3weeks ago (.25-06 AI).
I have a mate who has one he showed me all the ropes but I havent worked up me own loads yet.

Thanks

The 25-06AI is my nearly favorite varmint cartridge of all time. I tried the 85 grain bullets but found them wanting in the explosive department. The 75 grain V-Max's turned out to be the most accurate and most explosive bullet yet. That is on smaller (less than 3 pound game). For bigger varmints, step up to the 100 grain balistic tip. They really tear up the bigger varmints.

My loads are max for me so be sure to work up carefully from at least 2 grains less powder.
The 75grain V-Max is seated into Winchester brass that is trimmed to length deburred and neck sized only in regular 25-06 Lee Collet dies. 63.8 grains of IMR4350 lit by CCI-250 primers. COL is 3.150" which leaves me .150" from the rifling. In my 24" Ruger these chronograph in very cold weather at 3875fps to very hot weather of 3950 fps. Groups average .3's. Don't sweat the big jump to the rifling. These bullets work very well like this. They jump even farther in my 257 Weatherby and shoot just as well.

My 100 grain Nosler load is 60.3 grains of IMR4831 seated .015 off the rifling and they chrono at 3525 fps average. I use Partitions and they are deer slayer heavy varmint supreme loads. They group .5's

The main thing for me is minimal case prep. I never have cleaned a primer pocket or weighed a brass. I tumble them over night to make them shine and then run them thru the collet die. I bought 100 Winchester brass and my front two rows see the most use. Some are going on 20 firings. I always keep 100 rounds loaded up for this rifle in case I ever get in the $h!t. Now that I have my new Accumark it is very hard to ignore this old rifle. Many times I have thought I pulled the shot but it majically seems to always find the targets. I like to let Ruger bashers shoot it when I get the chance. They always go off scratching their heads usually carrying home one of their best targets they ever shot.
2506ai8ss.jpg

Hired Gun very nice,

Which do you prefer out of the .257Wby and the AI?
Is there a big difference ballisticaly?

The Nosler BTs ive been useing only make a hole the size of a claybird after entering the chest and exiting the shoulder of a fox.
Ill post some pics of the damage and the rifle at a later date.
Would any of the other AI shooter have a pic they can post of there rifle?

Thanks

skipe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Hi Skip,
The Weatherby is a much nicer rifle. It's action is smooth and the factory trigger adjusted right down to under 1 pound real easy. I do wish it had a rubber grippy surface like the Hogue stock on my Ruger. That rifle is just made for human hands to hold onto. Accuracy wise the Accumark is not quite as tight as the Ruger (very close) but it puts out 100 grain bullets at 3700 and I haven't chronographed the 75 grainers yet but I suspect they should top the Ruger by the same 200 feet per second.
Hubble.jpg

something to watch out for that i found out at long range.i shoot a .25-06 and the 75gr v-max were hot and accurate at 100 yds but left the park at 360yds! 87went a little farther.and the 115's are fantastic at 500yds.115's are big for little critters but they get there!so test at your longest range if going light.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.