Loading for suppressed short barrels

sbruni

So suppressors and short barrels are new to me… been playing with 26" plus for so long that now perhaps I need to adjust my thinking. Have a new 270 WSM 21" 8 twist throated for long pills… It's shooting 150 Badlands extremely well around 2840fps but my extreme spread is a bit high for my liking… 30 fps. I'm thinking perhaps H1000 is a bit slow for a complete burn… H4831 pressured out too quickly… should I be leaning towards faster burning powders? should I be approaching load development any differently than I use to with longer barrels?

Basically. load development is the same. I would look for a powder that will give a complete burn in that short a barrel. Hodgen extremes probably will not. As far as ES and shooting well, go with down range results. If your load is shooting well at the distance you hunt, then don't worry too much about ES within reason of course. I'm not familiar with Badlands bullets but I do shoot a few Hammers. Think lighter and faster for copper bullets. I load for my brother's 270 WSM but a standard-length barrel, 24" I think. 117gr Hammer at somewhere in the 3500s fps. I'd have to look at my notes for exact numbers.

All that being said, I have 2 short barrel suppressed rifles and am loading slightly lighter bullets than I would in a longer barrel. Quickload can help with powder burn percentage in a particular length barrel. If you don't have QL or access to it I'd be glad to help as I do have it. I don;t think Badlands Bullets is in QL but Barnes is so we could get some "close enough" data.

I have always been a long barrel guy, but I have watched guys shooting shorter and shorter barrels over the years and increasing with the increased popularity of suppressors. The first hint at what short barrels were capable of came decades earlier as one of the best shots I have ever seen got bored with rifles and started shooting the bolt action and single shot pistols of those days. He could put five through one ragged hole consistently back then and shot a few five shot groups at 100 yards that were simply unbelievable with those pistols. I wrote it off as to simply being his ability which was way above anyone I ever knew, but he attributed it, at least in part to short stiff barrels. I kept shooting my long barrels, not a paper puncher, but killed more than my fair share of game, and never gave it a second thought until recently. The final nail in my coffin of long barrels came when my friend built a 22 CM and 28 Nosler, the 22 has a 22" barrel, the Nosler 24". I was a firm believer no magnum rifle should ever have shorter than 26", and I know guys that shoot 30's. My friends 24" barrel has finally made a believer out of me. The velocity he gave up was minimal. My 26" is capable of 3300 fps, no pressure, shooting 195 gr Bergers ahead of N570, but accuracy is best at around 3050. His best is at 2980, so there is some difference there, but he's banging the same steel I am at the same distances, and to be totally honest, he's doing it better. When I do shoot out, if I do, I shoot my smaller rifles saving my 28 for hunting, I will rebarrel with a shorter version. I do not believe you're giving up much with those shorter barrels, I finally see that after forty years lol. Keep looking at different powder and bullet combos, but in the end, I predict your short barrel will be lights out if my past experience plays out.

2 trains of thought here….one is roll as you normally would using normal cartridge powders. The second is to go to a slightly faster powder to get the full burn.

I will typically try both and it's seemed more times than not I settle on the slightly faster powder.

Lots of powders between 4831 and h1000. Good luck.

So suppressors and short barrels are new to me… been playing with 26" plus for so long that now perhaps I need to adjust my thinking. Have a new 270 WSM 21" 8 twist throated for long pills… It's shooting 150 Badlands extremely well around 2840fps but my extreme spread is a bit high for my liking… 30 fps. I'm thinking perhaps H1000 is a bit slow for a complete burn… H4831 pressured out too quickly… should I be leaning towards faster burning powders? should I be approaching load development any differently than I use to with longer barrels?
Any chance you could share the COAL and muzzle velocity for your load so I can model in GRT? I already have a SBD2 150 270WSM load modelled in there as I am wanting to build a 20" 1:7" 270WSM.

I am also very curious if you have a SAAMI chambered 270WSM and at what COAL the SBD2 jams into the rifling.

Had my chamber throated for the 170 berger EOL… touching the lans with the 150 SBD2 OAL is 3.137" but been testing with 30\1000 jump or OAL of 3.107…

I use to use quick load but with all the security on my laptop it won't load… if someone could run it for the berger 170 and perhaps the Barnes 155 LRX that would be great… barrel is a 21" 8 twist

Last edited:
Had my chamber throated for the 170 berger EOL… touching the lans with the 150 SBD2 OAL is 3.137" but been testing with 30\1000 jump or OAL of 3.107…

I use to use quick load but with all the security on my laptop it won't load… if someone could run it for the berger 170 and perhaps the Barnes 155 LRX that would be great… barrel is a 21" 8 twist
What is the MV and charge weight you used for the SBD2 150 and H1000? I can profile your powder based on your data then run a simulation for the other bullets.

Load density looks reasonable (using default values for density), but burn ration is low at 91.8% using H1000.
This is after profiling your powder at the charge and speed given. As you can see, you likely have more room to increase charge weight if you wanted to. Maybe you have found pressure signs in your rifle already, but even the Barnes data goes up to 68.2gr for 150gr bullet and H1000. However, the propellant burn ration is still low...
The powder profiles that give 100% burn over a wide range of charges are Retumbo, RL26, and RL23. RL22 should give you 100% burn, but you will have to push pressure harder than you are currently to get there. Magnum, and Staball HD should also give you 100% burn, but load density would be in the 80's with those ball powders. If that doesn't bother you they may be worth looking into. H100V would get you 100% burn, but I think you get similar speeds to H4831 on that one.
I am personally planning on using N565 when I get my 270WSM barrel as I found it to be accurate and easy to work with in general, but it doesn't meet your criteria for 100% burn.

270WSM_sbruni.PNG

Any chance you could share the COAL and muzzle velocity for your load so I can model in GRT? I already have a SBD2 150 270WSM load modelled in there as I am wanting to build a 20" 1:7" 270WSM.

I am also very curious if you have a SAAMI chambered 270WSM and at what COAL the SBD2 jams into the rifling.
I have a kimber that should be SAAMI… just checked and OAL is 2.975" kissing with the 170 eol