Any pet loads for short barreled 243?

bteate

I'm working on a few loads for my daughters 18" .243 for deer hunting, and looking for some real world decent hunting loads. I have Sierra Gameking 85gr HPBT, 95gr Nosler Partitions, Barnes 85gr TSX, and access to Berger 95gr Classic Hunters. I have most common powders and all primers except Rem. My daughter is 10 on the small side, so maybe something on the low end. If not much on the low end, muzzle brake can be added and a suppressor will be used in the future.

Any info on groups, velocity, and on game experience would be greatly appreciated.

My girls shoot a 20" barrel and I learned quick you have to be conscious of muzzle blast with the slower powders.

My favorite and easy to shoot for them load has been with 95 grain Partitions and 95 grain Hunting Ballistic Tips (Berger Classics be great to with this load). Did not like the on game performance of the Barnes at all but I couldn't really push em fast enough to work well from the lil gun.

I only load H4350 now at 39 grains for speeds of 2850 fps from 20" barrel.

I've been playing with the Sierra's mostly with 4451 and every primer combo. I have not tried the partitions yet. I'm probably going to abandon the 4451 for Varget or 4064.

Your H4350 load sounds like a good one, accuracy there?

I've been playing with the Sierra's mostly with 4451 and every primer combo. I have not tried the partitions yet. I'm probably going to abandon the 4451 for Varget or 4064.

Your H4350 load sounds like a good one, accuracy there?

Excellent accuracy with the 95 NBT's and average moa accuracy with the 95 Partitions.

Varget & 4064 excellent powders for this short barrel also, they would be your best powders for the 85 grain Sierra probably, but with the 95 grain bullets H4350 gets you decent case fill and very temperature stable.

39 grains H4350 with 95NBT / PT average speed at 80 degrees is running 2,850 and at 20 degrees averaging 2,840.......

My old hog load was a 95 grain SST seated to the cannelure with 42.0 grains of RL17 and a CCI200 in Winchester brass. The original rifle I developed the load for is since gone, but I tried the same load in a Ruger RPR that I picked up last fall and it put five shots into the size of a nickel.

My young grandsons both shoot youth model 243s and this has been my formula that has worked well. I load the 95gr partitions with h4831 to about 2900 fps and zero the rifle at 200 yards. Shoots fairly flat to 200 yards and about 8 inches low at 300. This gives them the ability to shoot most game out to 300 which is about the maximum effective range for this bullet and load, considering a 10yo is firing it. One of the boys shot a javalina a few days ago at 109 yards and the bullet left 3 exit wounds. You can trust the 95gr partition to deliver ethical kills within a reasonable range (out to 300 yards or so)

Sierra Gameking 85gr HPBT #1530, IMR 4350 , Win or Rem brass. CCI BR2 in Rem 600 Mohawk 18" for me.

My young grandsons both shoot youth model 243s and this has been my formula that has worked well. I load the 95gr partitions with h4831 to about 2900 fps and zero the rifle at 200 yards. Shoots fairly flat to 200 yards and about 8 inches low at 300. This gives them the ability to shoot most game out to 300 which is about the maximum effective range for this bullet and load, considering a 10yo is firing it. One of the boys shot a javalina a few days ago at 109 yards and the bullet left 3 exit wounds. You can trust the 95gr partition to deliver ethical kills within a reasonable range (out to 300 yards or so)

Was just going say that usually", the best load combo for any short barreled rifle is " slow burning powder and heavy bullets". One naturally thinks of using a "fast burning" powder, but it doesn't really work out that way...most of the time! Years and years ago, I worked up a 243 load (but this was a 22" Ruger 77) with H4831 and the old Speer 105gr round nose. I had no chrono, but it was a real killer!

I realize this topic has probably been beaten to death, but I really enjoy reading what each persons take on reloading for this new to me round. Keep 'em coming.

I have some 95 gr Partitions load over 39-40gr H4350 with WLR primers ready to test. It's raining, so I'll have to try them tomorrow.

By the way, it's a Howa 10" twist.

Last edited:
It should be a humdinger! Both 95gr and H4350 are "slow burning & heavy bullet" for the .243. I have a church member who has 2 rifles since the 70's...a model 1895 45-70 saddle rifle and a Weatherby Mark V in 240 Weatherby he bought at the same time. He only uses the Hornady 350rn in the thumper and the Nosler 95 Partition in the "zinger"! He and his son have both killed some fine elk with that 240W, plus scads of muleys! I realize a 243 isn't a 240W, but up to 200yds no critter could tell the difference! Good luck to you Pard.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.