Light 6.5 Creedmoor Loads for Light Recoil/Suppressed

General RE LEE

I've got a Tikka 6.5 CM at smith that is being cut to 16.5" and threaded for a suppressor. Goal for this build is a lightweight, carbine like hunting rifle for tree stands/box blinds. Game will be whitetail deer from 10-300 yards. I've got a Banish Backcountry can that is 5.7".

I got 2 boxes of Hornady 123 grain SSTs and have plenty of Varget on hand. Hornady manual has a starting charge weight of 36.0 grains Varget for 6.5 CM and the 123 SSTs.

Do you all think an accurate node in the 36-37 grain range Varget and 123 grain SST will be a light kicker? I want to spot my shots and also I've got one son that has issues with recoil. My goal is to be close to 6.5 Grendel speeds with the 16.5" barrel and light charges.

index.php
My reduced load for 6.5 Creedmoor. Velocity unknown.

I have a 6.5C in a 16" (gas gun). I shoot the 129g at 2700fps. Should do the trick pretty easily. 123 likely 2800 if you choose.

FWIW this is still about 100fps faster than my 20" Grendel.

Using a bit different powder though unfortunately.

You could try something in the 80-85 gr hammers. I've personally never tried that weight range, but guys really seem to like them. Should help with recoil and still get good velocity.

I have used the 85 grain hammers, they are blazing fast and light recoil. The other plus is the maximum point blank range is very far for deer sized animals. I don't typically hunt that way but it can be helpful especially for younger hunters

Recent Posts