Load question

RWE

Hello, been a while and I admit, I am not much of a "poster" here but this is a great site! I enjoy shooting my .308 set up for LR but hunting is usually in the woods and the sproter .30-06 goes there. I have some loads down for me that I like but I am looking for info related to loads for younger shooters. In particular, my daughter.

She has been hunting deer for a couple years, holding out for her first one to be a "shooter buck" - not too small but not trophy hunting... Turns out that last year got a really nice buck (168") for her first deer.

I worked up some Hodgdon Youth Loads for her to use in my .30-06 (Weatherby Vangard). These reduced loads (125 grain Nosler BT Hunting and Sierra ProHunter - both about 2600 fps/muzzle) are great and the buck didn't go far. No blood trail though and that concerns me. I have faith in those bullets but maybe not at that velocity. So...

I am going to amp it up this year with some Hornady SST's in 150 grain, still about 2600-2700 fps for reduced recoil. Recoil will be more than the other loads but not more than I think she can handle. My hope is that this bullet works better at that velocity...

My question is, do you all think my hunch is correct and that I am on a good track for my daughter?

I figure this way I can have one load for both of us to learn and use out to 300 yards (if conditions warrant).

(Edit to add: Should I have posted this in the reloading section?)

Last edited:
Your plan sounds good to me. But I am curious which 125 gr bullet did she use to shoot that buck? It has been my experience that the 125 Ballistic Tip is a little tougher bullet than the Sierra 125. I shoot the 125 Ballistic Tip anywhere between 2670 fps in my 14" Contender pistol in 30-30AI all the way up to 3000 fps in my 308 Win. In the Contender I have shot 7 deer with it and all have been between 25 and 125 yards and bullet has entered a shoulder and usually exits the other shoulder tough some have come out the ribs on the off side. They all have exited with about a quarter size hole. Only one took 3 jumps and was down and the others were DRT. In my 30X47 HBR at 2850 fps and my 308 Win at 3000 fps they usually don't exit inside 100 yards but usually I find just the jacket fully expanded under the hide of the off side shoulder. Beyond 100 yards they start to exit on broad side shots.

RWE- you do not say where you are the whitetails here are only 70 pounders. 168"!!!! i would like to see some pics!!! sounds like you are on the right track with your loads. why mess with success?? roninflag

Thanks guys.

RT - We used the Nosler BT Hunting in 125 grain. I could have added a little more detail in my post - sorry.

Near as I can tell, the bullet struck last rib and passed through to the opposite front shoulder, likely about/just above the joint given the angle. My guess as to where the bullet stopped is based on finding pooled blood in that area while caping the head out. Due to no blood on the ground we did not recover the buck until late the following day, despite three adult hunters and three young hunters searching well into the night. Turns out he ran about 75 yards and fell in a blowdown with his white belly against the trunk. We walked right past him, learned a lesson about using flashlights with tight beams... This was mid-October, Youth Season.

Ronin - We are in Kentucky. I would have to guess that he was 180 - 200# on the hoof. I will try to upload a picture later, not on "that" pc right now.

Oh, more on details - just to be clear, that 168" was green (one week) and gross. That is just how they do it on this farm - for their own "record" keeping. I should have left that out altogether I guess.

I have not given up on the 125 grainer, I am messing with it because I am also looking to have one load for that rifle for both of us to use. More of a K.I.S.S. method thing and to be honest... I like the reduced recoil too!

Looking at the models both the 125 and the 150 (with muzzle velocities of 2600 fps) are going about 1900 fps at 300, that should do it - what say you?

(300 yards keeps coming up because I passed a shot on a nice buck because I had doubts about the terminal ballistics of the 125 grain bullet/load...)

RWE- that is a big deer!! i am glad you inclueded the gross score. some pics would be better. i use varget and either 165 or 168 balistic tips . both in 30-06 and 308. for a reduced load i might try h4895 for powder. better chance for a pass through with a heavier bullet. little more kick is a trade off. thought about a muzzle break and some puffs for the ears??

RWE- that is a big deer!! i am glad you inclueded the gross score. some pics would be better. i use varget and either 165 or 168 balistic tips . both in 30-06 and 308. for a reduced load i might try h4895 for powder. better chance for a pass through with a heavier bullet. little more kick is a trade off. thought about a muzzle break and some puffs for the ears??

I will try to get a picture up tonight if I can remember.

My .30-06 load has been a H335 under a 165 gr SP historically. More recently I like Nosler Accubonds. For a while, I could not beat what the Federal Premium facotry loaded Partitions could do...

My .308 is heavy, 26 inch varmint barreled gun with an adj. B&C stock. Took it out once... once. SMK's and Hornady Match pills are all that has been run through it. RL15 has been my powder for .308.

Yes, I am using the Hodgdon H4895 "Youth Loads" as a base, also looking at the H4895 "60% Reduction Rule" too, and going up from there.

Yes, thinking about a break. Also thinking about getting another rifle in 308 that will be "hers".

Yes, the plugs on a string are a part of the "uniform" when hunting and go in the ears as needed. Electronic muffs at the range so they can hear instruction.

Resurecting my own thread, hope that is ok (Man how time flies)!

I still owe a photo... sorry.

OK, finally got to the range a couple times with reloads and I have backed it down to about 2450-2500 fps per the ol' Chrony. Shooting MOA to 200 yards. Much north of 2500 and the "recoil" creeps in...

I want her to shoot and become a shooter so I am keeping it there. The way I see it this load is good to 300 (and beyond) if I can prove the dope...

Would appreciate it if anyone could provide an opinion on the Hornady SST 150 grain at this velocity? Is there a better option?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.