.308 velocity and load question

albertakid

Okay I have been shooting my .308 pretty regular and have worked up a load that seems like it is a real winner.. I don't however have a chrono and would like to have a good guess as to my velocity for some range work at longer distances.

i am shooting a cz-usa heavy barrel 25.5 long
and am using winchester brass ccI benchrest II primers 168 smk's and have been loading 46 grains of varget and holding .5 moa the COL is 2.8

Am I pushing it too hard? I see no pressure signs and everything seems to be fine, but the hodgon book lists a velocity of 2731 and with the longer barrel I am not sure what I am getting?

Jordan

My guess is that you are between 2700-2800 FPS.

I was using this same load for a while and believe I was getting around over 2700 (if my memory serves me right) and this was with 24" pipe.

I know that 2700-2800 is a big difference but without a chrony, it is hard to guess.

If you use 2750 as a staring point for a ballistic calculator this will get you very close to start. My suggestion is dial it at 300 yards and move out to 600 and compensate according to your calculator based on 2750 and a .450 BC. This will get you scary close.

46.0 of VARGET is a pretty safe load in a factory rifle. If there are no extraction issues and the brass and primers look good, youre most likely not pushing them too hard.

Hope that helps!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.