Do you do first in developing a load?

• Ladder test with varying powder weight

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seating depth test with mild load

• Other

• Total voters
You need to define the ranges were dialing in for also, I certainly don't put the effort into a normal range hunting rifle, vs my Dasher Br gun or my cold bore elr rifle.

You need to define the ranges were dialing in for also, I certainly don't put the effort into a normal range hunting rifle, vs my Dasher Br gun or my cold bore elr rifle.

Sorry bigngreen, I should have been more clear. The rifles should be .75moa rifles out to 1200 yds. That being said you should be able to shoot and vertical spread be surprised if it is over that. There's a big difference between a .5 and .75 or 1 moa rifle at distance. I can easily say I don't consider all or most of my rifle .5 to 1200. That is what I am trying to discuss and feel where there are less guys who can say they do it and prove it.

If we are talking well under .5 at 1200, that's a whole different league and should be talked about in much more detail. Lol I only have 2 or 3 rifles in that class. I like to hunt elk and that is the mind frame I'm in right now. It's coming soon and guns are ready for some bull elk in the crosshairs!!
Orange steel is 6BR @ 6 or 800, honestly can't remember which. White steel is 338 edge @ 1068 sorry if there are multiples, struggling loading pics
KIMG0022(1).jpg
IMG_20170914_214837.jpg
IMG_20170914_214837.jpg
KIMG0022(1).jpg
KIMG0022(1).jpg
IMG_20170914_214837.jpg

Would you mind describing your ~12 shot load development system?
Even if I hit on best of anything in a load with 12 shots, it would take more testing to realize it.
I try to choose a powder that will finish out as close to 100% fill at full pressure with out compressing as I can. I generally do not like compressed loads so I try to avoid them. I pick my start load from published load data. I will have a top vel point from published load data that I know pressure should be evident. I always load develop with a chronograph. Mag Speed is what we use. I bring the loading equipment to the range so that I can make changes in development on the fly. Saves having to pull bullets and makes it so that I can load develop in one trip.

My process:

I shoot a ladder at a min range of 200y. I prefer 300y. If I have to shoot at 100y I will but consider data from the target to not be as reliable. I never shoot for group until I settle on a charge weight. I start my coal at the longest that is practical for the weapon, just off the lands or mag length. This way if a seating depth adjustment is required there is only one way to go. All shots in the load process are taken at the same aim point without making any change to the scope. Depending on the size of the cartridge I go up in charge weight in .5 or 1g increments. With each shot going up I document the vel and the poi. With each shot going up looking for that predetermined vel range and the classic pressure signs, bolt lift, ejector mark, primer flattening. As I work up each shot I like to see predictable increases in vel. When this is happening I can usually count on good sd numbers. If the vel is erratic in the ladder I usually just change powder at that time. If the group on target is terrible I will switch powder at that point as well. I really like to load up to where I see pressure so that I can back off from that a grain or two. Some rifles don't show it but the vel indicates that pressure is there. Once I have found the top end load I will load 3-4 more and shoot with the chrony to confirm vel and make sure that sd is good. At this point if sd is poor I discard the load and start over with a new powder. No point in beating a dead horse. At this point I am usually 8-10 shots into the process. Now I remove the Magspeed and zero the rifle with 4 more shots. One to find poi and three for a group. At this point I am almost always done with load development. Our Hammer Bullets almost never need seating depth adjustments to get sub moa performance. Now I take the out to its effective range and confirm drops.

This is how I get lucky.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.