Load Development?

I was very skeptical when I read the berger seating depth test. 0.030 changes in seating depth? Was having a hard time finding a mag length seating depth for the 168 berger hunting VLD for my .308 so I gave it a try.

No doubt it works! I found this node at 0.120 off the lands. the picture below was when I was fine tuning it. Each group is 0.010 deeper. I started 0.020 longer than the original seating depth and finished 0.020 deeper. As you can see the node is about 0.030 wide.

Berger%20168gr%20hunting%20VLD_zpsr7bylmqu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Rcoody,

Did you find a weight charge first or did you vary the depth and weight at the same time? just curious.

Rcoody,

Did you find a weight charge first or did you vary the depth and weight at the same time? just curious.

I never change.but.one.thing.at a time. I had been working for.months trying to get that vld to shoot mag length to no avail. Now jammed.in the.lands.it.would.shoot.half.inch groups.all day.

I was using.44 gr varget. After that.seating.depth test I have stuck with that load since. Who would have thought 0.120 off the lands

Thanks Rcoody,

Tom H,

I've shot my 160 accubond load out to 700 yards. My length overall length is 3.22 which is the same as the 160 Nosler trophy grade ammo(cheated and measured theirs). Its shooting 3063 fps. Speed calculated by drop data. I don't have a chrono.

Thanks Rcoody,

Tom H,

I've shot my 160 accubond load out to 700 yards. My length overall length is 3.22 which is the same as the 160 Nosler trophy grade ammo(cheated and measured theirs). Its shooting 3063 fps. Speed calculated by drop data. I don't have a chrono.

I didn't know that Nosler was making 284 brass are you sure your not posting about their 6.5x284 Norma ammo SAAMI Spec 3.228". SAAMI spec 284 is 2.800". My 284 is build long action and long throated and I gave gunsmith some dummy rds for throating so no way mine would ever handle factory 284 ammo. I don't see any 284 ammo Nosler site.

Nosler Ammunition / Ammo

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.