Load Dev. w/ New Primer Brand

bill123

I'm shooting a .308 w/ 45.8gr Varget, fireformed Lapua brass & BR2 primers. I have gone as high as 46.8gr Varget w/o pressure signs but get great SD/ES with 45.8gr.

I would like to test Tula primers and understand that I should reduce my load to start out with new components. My question is, how much? Since I've never gone above 46.8gr, I have to assume that's my max load. Do I reduce by 7-10% from that and shoot one round each of increasing .1gr loads until I reach my 45.8 target load?

I would not loose sleep over reduceing a load because of a primer unless it is from a standard to a mag primer. And at that I would only educe by 5%

I personally wouldn't reduce it at all if you are just changing primers. If you were right to the nuts and were showing signs of pressure I would, but it sounds like you have a little safety margin in the load.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.