Load data 243 AI

loosesniper2000

Hey guys, I'd appreciate any info on the subject. Years ago I won a barrel of my choice from Douglas and I had a 243 Ackley Improved chambered. The barrel is 26" and 1in10 twist.
So far I've not had any luck on bullets above 85gr so I'm sticking with 80gr Bergers or Sierra. It's been awhile since I played with this gun and didn't want to waste any more barrel life. If you know of a secret recipe (powders) that works with this please let me know. Right now the load I've been using is 80gr Bergers and 47.5 R19 It shoot around .5-.75 (5) shot groups
Thanks, any info would be appreciated
Dustin

I would try some 100grn Sierra SPBT. I know my 1:10 Model 7 shoot them okay. If not, then try some 87grn Hornady V-max. H4350 seems to be a popular powder for these weights, but you could try some RL17. I use 37.5grns 4064 w/ Hornady 95grn SST's. I would think you could push them fast enough to negate the necessity of a 1:9twist for 100grn bullet.

Tank

Last edited:
I had a 243 AI built on a Sako L479 action with a Douglas 1:10 barrel 20+ years ago, but didn't get around to shooting it until recently. Have been working up loads in Lapua brass using Sierra 85 gr HPBT bullets. Fire formed with 46.0 gr IMR 4350 with bullets .003 into the lands the cases come out 2.020" to 2.031".

Trimming and reloading some of the 2.030 group with half grain increments and bullets seated .002" off lands, the SD's decrease as velocities increase. The last five shot group chronographed with 47.5 gr. IMR4350 averaged 3,530 fps with an SD of 8.0. No pressure signs were observed on the cases, but the bolt was slightly hard to open. My next step will be to back off the IMR4350 a half grain and shoot groups.

I'm using the Sierra 85 gr HPBTs for the time being because I have a lifetime supply, the 1:10 barrel twist and my intended targets being rock chucks, coyotes and wolves.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.