280 AI and Hornady 160gr CX load data

CJ Reichelt

Recently bought some .284 160gr Hornady CX bullets to try in my 280AI. Didn't see any load data in the Hornady manual so reached out to them for a starting point. They replied that the standard twist rate was not fast enough for this bullet. Guess pretty dissapointed in the lack of response from them as thought they would be more helpful. Rifle is a custom 280 AI 1:8 twist rate in a 22inch barell. I seen the bullet needed a 1:8 twist so thought I was good to go. Any one load this bullet in their 280AI before and have any info on how it shoots?

1:8 twist should handle that bullet just fine my 280ai has a 1:8 twist and I've shot the 180s with no issues at all. What are your powder options

4831sc, h4350, Superperformance, Ramshot hunter, Varget, and couple others can't remember offhand. I noticed they are quite the long bullet but figured they should stabilize in that twist rate.

If you can measure the overall length of the bullet and compare them to other bullets recommended for 1:8 twist and see if they are close if there miles long then might have to go with a lighter bullet and as far as powder the h4831 is my most accurate powder for my rifle but the 160s won't be impressive on velocity I started hitting pressure at about 2900 with the badlands 150s SB2

Just tested a load today as Hornady said a 280AI wouldn't stabilize this bullet. Used 6.5 Staball and 55.5 gr to 56.0 produced 2990 fps and .5moa groups out of my 22inch barrel. Was kinda surprised it shot that good and with that velocity. Was .030 off the lands. Just thought I would share as I couldn't find much when I started this. Went off Nosler 160 gr AB load data.

Great results! That was unusual for Hornady to tell you your rifle would not stabilize the 160CX with a 1:8 twist. What primer did you use? Thanks

Yeah they just said we don't have load data for that bullet due to it won't stabilize in that caliber. I used CCI BR2 primers.

Maybe in this modern day era, they hire geeks to do all the testing on computers, rather than people who can shoot. lol
Weve been using a 9 twist for decades for use with the 160 class bullets with cartridges like the 7x 300 Wetherby Wildcat and the 7 mm STW, with velocities reaching 3400 or even higher.