280 AI Load Development

Trentcamp

Ok looking to stretch my legs a little. Used to shoot to 300 when it was considered fairly long range lol not even close now. Would like to be comfortable to somewhere around 500 by next elk season, just went on my first hunt this year and loved it. Got a new Kimber 84L in 280 AI just before I went. Threw together a quick load with a 145 Barnes LRX in front of H4831 that shoots fairly well and I figured it would do the job. Wondering if there is something better. Had a couple of guys recommend 160 Accubond in front of RL26 but I can't find any published data on it. I'm leaning towards the 150 ABLR or TTSX or Partition and wouldn't mind trying RL26. I've got 19 and 22 I'm going to try also. 24" barrel 1 in 9 twist. Any suggestions? I know the cartridge is well respected amongst you guys. Any and all help greatly appreciated. Tom

Ok looking to stretch my legs a little. Used to shoot to 300 when it was considered fairly long range lol not even close now. Would like to be comfortable to somewhere around 500 by next elk season, just went on my first hunt this year and loved it. Got a new Kimber 84L in 280 AI just before I went. Threw together a quick load with a 145 Barnes LRX in front of H4831 that shoots fairly well and I figured it would do the job. Wondering if there is something better. Had a couple of guys recommend 160 Accubond in front of RL26 but I can't find any published data on it. I'm leaning towards the 150 ABLR or TTSX or Partition and wouldn't mind trying RL26. I've got 19 and 22 I'm going to try also. 24" barrel 1 in 9 twist. Any suggestions? I know the cartridge is well respected amongst you guys. Any and all help greatly appreciated. Tom
They make these things called BERGERS and they don't have a bun.:)
Try some ELD-X 175s or Berger 180s and run them in front of the 22. BC is everything at extended ranges.
The ABLR have proven to be problematic for many, the TTSX and Partition wouldn't know what BC was if it smacked them upside the head.
If the ABLR will shoot for you, great. If not the ELD-X and Berger will in fact kill an elk quite dead.
I would rather hit a elk in the heart with a high BC bullet than the liver after a lower BC bullet is blown off course.

That's not actually a bad load (145 LRX and H4831). I'm using 168 grain LRX with RL26, but I have a 1:8 twist barrel.

I really like the 168 grain bullets. I've played with Berger 168 VLD, but still having issues (I think seating depth is kicking my butt). The Berger 168 Classic Hunter should be easier to load.

There is another dude that frequents this forum that uses the 160 grain Accubond with RL26, and does very well.

RL22, IMR7828ssc, RL26 are all pretty popular with 160+ grain bullets. H4831 is going to be very consistent, but you'll likely not quite get the speed potential you might with the slower powders.

I'm no guru though. I've only had a 280ai for about a year now. I have a late cow tag this year, we'll see how it does (hopefully) :D

168 Berger Classic Hunters, H4831, FED 210, Nosler brass. Load development was very easy with these bullets and 500 yds should be no problem for you.

Thanks for all the info fellows. Keep it coming. What is the reason for the heavy bullets? Checking ballistic charts the 140's seem to be where it's at to 500. Less drop, more energy etc. like I said earlier I'm just getting into the longer ranges but I've been shooting and reloading for several years. Just wondering.

I would go heavier because once your good at 500 yds then you will want to move to 700 then to ...then to...

Thanks for all the info fellows. Keep it coming. What is the reason for the heavy bullets? Checking ballistic charts the 140's seem to be where it's at to 500. Less drop, more energy etc. like I said earlier I'm just getting into the longer ranges but I've been shooting and reloading for several years. Just wondering.
Wind. Penetration. Efficiency. More of an issue past 500 but 500 quickly will turn into 600 which will turn into......FURTHER. Just the nature of the beast.

The heavier bullet have a better sectional density and a better ballistic coefficient, so they tend to penetrate better and have less deflection in the wind.

You are still thinking like a short range shooter. IDC about DROP and the energy will swap over to the heavier pill pretty quickly. It also depends what your rifle LIKES.
Also don't rely on ballistic charts too much, they are usually skewed towards lighter bullets as they are developed on factory ammo and shorter barrels. A 140 will run better from a 22" barrel than a 180. A 180 will slaughter a 140 from a 28" barrel.
Lots of variables that are specific to YOUR rifle, not some chart

And FYI a 280AI with a 175 ELDX or 180 Hybrid Berger is a 1K rig even with your 9 twist and 24" tube. It's not a 1K rig with any 140 class projectile.

The load charts are skewed towards velocity also I've noticed. Like you guys are talking I'm already looking at a better suited rig for longer ranges. I really like the Kimber so far but I know it's not the best fit for long range. Too light. It shoots well but it is hard to shoot well. Great to carry though.

Magazine length may keep me from using the really heavy bullets. The Kimber is built with minimal dimensions to keep weight down. I'll measure and see what I can get away with. I could probably use the 162 though.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.