LOAD DATA

Finris, If you really want to shoot the 173 HV then I would recommend having the throat in your rifle cut very short. There will be a difference of as much as .25 in optimal throat length between the 240 MK, and the 173 HV. The HV will need the short throat while if you used that short of a throat with the 240 MK you will loose to much case capacity. Are you planning to use a magazine or go the single shot route? In a single shot role you could load a couple of dummy rounds of each and figure out a length that works as a happy medium. The problem is that you need a few of the driving bands in the neck of the case to ensure proper seating, with good concentricity. Once you play with a each bullet side by side you will understand what I am talking about.
Vince

I was going to go with the magazine over the single shot.I have to be able to find a happy medium some how.I'm not sure at this moment I even want to use 240 bullets.I think that 1300 yards in a 173 is probably the farthest I would shoot at this time.I would always like to keep my options open.

If you went with a very short throat for the 173 HV you could always have it cut longer at a later date if you decided to get away from that design.
Vince

Finris, that pic is the 173 HV, and the 240 MK side by side. I would have gotten you a better pic, but the batteries died and I don't have the ac adapter for this loaner camera. The pencil tip shows the first driving band on the HV. After looking at them closer the throat difference will be more like .15 not .25.
Vince

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts