Lion Confrontation

There are always plenty of "recommendations" out there but the one that always seems to be top of list is stand your ground, become as large as you can and yell loudly at it. Backing away is sometimes effective to give a cat a way out but this cat was in wide open spaces. I would make like Sasquatch and do my best improvisation of a Sasquatch bellow. I am sure cats have heard them and are afraid of them.....or threaten with my boot by raising it up so it could see them. But then the cat would be blocked out of sight so that wouldn't work well.

We can all say what to do but until you are looking at one ears pinned back, tail twitching and nice fangs bared we really don't know how we would react. Me personally, I would fire warning shot then two hand grip dump mag into him. I would rather lose license than life.

I would hope the hunter contacted IDFG and reported aggressive mountain lion encounter just in case someone else has to put it down there is a record of one being aggressive in that area.
You look like a Sasquatch without the fur ! 😆

Last edited:
Unfortunately in some states these cats are protected like the president's kids. I'm in CA and if I could I would record it too for proof I was threatened. Don't get me wrong I would reach for the gun before the phone but the last thing I need is an over zealous tree hugging hippy prosecutor saying I should have ran away instead of killing it as it charged me
👍🏼 I can attest ....

Unfortunately in some states these cats are protected like the president's kids. I'm in CA and if I could I would record it too for proof I was threatened. Don't get me wrong I would reach for the gun before the phone but the last thing I need is an over zealous tree hugging hippy prosecutor saying I should have ran away instead of killing it as it charged me
You probably would be prosecuted more if you shot a Protected Cat in a liberal State than if you shot an intruder in your home. Look at the billions of $s that corporations are fined if they even think of disturbing a mouse/beetle/frog area.
The nightmare you hope you never have is a Liberal "Game Law Enforcement Officer" arresting/fining you for what they think is a volitation.
If I ever hunt in PA again (I was born & Raised there) I will have a Go-Pro on me and record everything if come in contact with a PA Game Warden. If they see you are from Out-of-State and probably won't drive back 700 miles to court to dispute.
In a situation of a Cat or Bear attack I would rather go to court than have my family bury me.

It's a predator, like us. Maybe respect that concept and don't put yourself into dangerous situations.
Stupidly kills more people than you think...
How did he put himself in a dangerous situation? Being in the woods hunting. Wow ... Good thing it wasn't a rabid Roo ! 😳 I can't even grasp your statement 🤔 come here and hunt with the Grizzlies. That Mtn. Lion will seem tame...

If it was Ca. Lions have lost fear of humans since "moriturium" on killing lions passed on another bill in 1992. They've killed enough people since then Hikers , etc.. I worked with a G&F warden in San Diego Co.. I know how many were trapped And killed each year. One area I hunted it went down and down. The last two years I lived there went from 20 to 2 killed. State trappers paid by taxpayer money. The anti's have no clue how many are killed state wide or that they are paying for it. All that matters is hunters aren't killing them and the Game and Fish, new name I won't use it because it Jerry Freaking Brown , won't make any revenue from tags. I delt with it for 40 years. Glad to be done with that state. Good luck.

100%. I don't think people realize that CA has one of the highest populations of mountain lions in the country to begin with. There is this (intentional) misconception that because they are protected that they are rare or endangered when nothing could be further from the truth. I grew up in Sacramento and they were everywhere along the river. I work in Malibu and they are all over the Santa Monica mountains, and up into Ventura. They are close to population centers and one even came into the LA zoo and carried off one of the koalas. The fact that they aren't publicly managed increases the likelihood of negative interactions with humans, and also puts pressure on bighorn sheep populations that CADFW is so desperate to protect.

100%. I don't think people realize that CA has one of the highest populations of mountain lions in the country to begin with. There is this (intentional) misconception that because they are protected that they are rare or endangered when nothing could be further from the truth. I grew up in Sacramento and they were everywhere along the river. I work in Malibu and they are all over the Santa Monica mountains, and up into Ventura. They are close to population centers and one even came into the LA zoo and carried off one of the koalas. The fact that they aren't publicly managed increases the likelihood of negative interactions with humans, and also puts pressure on bighorn sheep populations that CADFW is so desperate to protect.
Totally correct. Orange county and San Diego Co. Loaded with them also. Plenty in San Bernardino Co. I hunted San Bernardino Nat. Forest for 40 yrs. Lions were killing Bighorn's in the San Gabriel mtns when the ran out of deer. Your old enough to remember . I shouldn't disclose this but it's been many years so I don't care. Do you remember the child Laura Bradberry disappearing from a campground in Joshua state park about 35 years ago? Never found her. Thought kidnapped. went to restroom at night. never seen agsin. They were loking for a human not a lion. A year later a well versed in lions friend of mine found a piece of a child's skull in a wash near campground. Turned it in to Sheriff's dept. Hushed up and never brought up and would give him no answers . Huh ? I have many lion stories from Ca. If I had a child or family member killed by a lion in Ca. I would sue the state with everything I had.

Last edited:
Dude needs to practice! 🥴

He is darned lucky he saw it before it got him.
Deep down I feel that he may have went home and shot that handgun a bit. 😁
He doesn't just need practice with his pistol. He needs shooting lessons in proper handgun technique. Those were one-handed shots, and he was pushing the pistol forward.

It's a predator, like us. Maybe respect that concept and don't put yourself into dangerous situations.
Stupidly kills more people than you think...
I'm not a predator , but I like the outdoors I have Mt Lions on my place in west Tx but rarely see one because buy nature they are very seclusive and afraid of humans . Predators get educated by humans protecting their livestock etc., when you protect them they loose their fear of humans , like this cat , this is not normal behavior of Mt Lions in my experience. This incident more than likely is a result of protecting Mt Lions in a Liberal anti gun anti hunting state.

He doesn't just need practice with his pistol. He needs shooting lessons in proper handgun technique. Those were one-handed shots, and he was pushing the pistol forward.
Agreed... Is that not practice? 😉
Practice, whether with a shotgun, a bow, a rifle or a handgun should include: 1) form, 2) sight picture, 3) trigger control, 4) follow-through.

Yes, the fundamentals need to be known in order to be practiced.

You probably would be prosecuted more if you shot a Protected Cat in a liberal State than if you shot an intruder in your home. Look at the billions of $s that corporations are fined if they even think of disturbing a mouse/beetle/frog area.
The nightmare you hope you never have is a Liberal "Game Law Enforcement Officer" arresting/fining you for what they think is a volitation.
If I ever hunt in PA again (I was born & Raised there) I will have a Go-Pro on me and record everything if come in contact with a PA Game Warden. If they see you are from Out-of-State and probably won't drive back 700 miles to court to dispute.
In a situation of a Cat or Bear attack I would rather go to court than have my family bury me.
Better to be judged by 12, then carried by 6...