Lion Confrontation

Elk hunter in Idaho met some competition.

Backing up and pointing a camera and pistol was not the best move. As soon as that can't pins his ears and lives your direction I would be slinging lead. And I would shoot until that cat hit ground! Then pull the phone out! That cat would be the ultimate trophy; "I killed that cat when he tried to kill me!"

I think the guy reacted pretty well under that scenario- other than the whole camera hold thing. He turned the attack away and that's what counts.

Now- imagine if you bump a grizzly. You ain't gonna get the luxury to even turn on a camera. You'll be lucky to unholster a pistol. Just a few days ago.

The man and his wife, who were hunting for upland birds in a creek bottom east of Choteau, encountered the grizzly bear at around 1 p.m.

The bear charged out of thick brush at close range. The hunter fired at the bear with a shotgun and handgun, wounding the bear and stopping the attack.

I hunt birds around Choteau, and often around creek bottoms. I always take my 12 ga auto and run birdshot, birdshot, buckshot and a slug. And carry a .44 mag. Always hunt in groups too- never solo around there.

Yeah us dog people are weird like that.

xvMne9w.png

yj3d5UW.png

bgslahR.png
Nice pup!

If it was Ca. Lions have lost fear of humans since "moriturium" on killing lions passed on another bill in 1992. They've killed enough people since then Hikers , etc.. I worked with a G&F warden in San Diego Co.. I know how many were trapped And killed each year. One area I hunted it went down and down. The last two years I lived there went from 20 to 2 killed. State trappers paid by taxpayer money. The anti's have no clue how many are killed state wide or that they are paying for it. All that matters is hunters aren't killing them and the Game and Fish, new name I won't use it because it Jerry Freaking Brown , won't make any revenue from tags. I delt with it for 40 years. Glad to be done with that state. Good luck.

Well warning shots or not this person was WAY OFF on everything, The Cat got way to close to Stalk them. Seemed only like getting footage of the event. The big Cat did advance while close and a warning shot only tempted the cat.
That Cat had the total advantage of this situation,
This should never happened!
Everything was incorrect and provided the Cat a clean Kill. It is his/Her world.
Lucky someone didn't DIE!
Now this is an educated tune up for the Cat's next attack.
That lion was a sub adult feline. If a mature tom he'd of never knew it was there and would of attacked from behind like what cats do. I had a friend that was a big cat trainer for movies, etc. He had breeding Mtn. Lions. He always told me don't turn your back on a cat. I learned that from a young feline he had that was declawed. She had my neck in it's mouth in a heartbeat but thank God was playing as I turned to walk away. If it had claws and wanted to harm me... Two of her toes were stronger than my hand. I couldn't imagine a mature tom on me. They can crush an elk's neck vertabre. A human"s ? Huh ? They are pure muscle.

Last edited:
Glad he is ok. That could have been bad. The area I live and hunt in is invested with cougars.
I had a close call Turkey hunting a few years back and had a big mature tom cougar come in hot on me and my then 9 year old son.
I popped off a round from a revolver at it and missed it (I still catch grief from my boy over that). It bolted and ran into the brush off the side of the trail, fast and away.
He was going to straight up make a run at us, his body language was obvious. It was midday and mild. Looking back I'm convinced he heard my son's little voice yammering and came in to it.
I always have a sidearm on me in addition to whatever long gun I may be hunting with. I like the Kenai Chest Rig, I have one for the Glock 20 and the Ruger .454. I won't hesitate to shoot one. I've seen a number of them over the years and they all bolted away. This one wanted us.
That cat was going to separate you from your son. I shudder at what could have been. Thank goodness you guys made it out. Stay safe and have fun!