Lion Confrontation

Dude was lucky screw the phone grab on with both hands and let her rip...

I call cougars and have been mildly successful over the years. It amazes me every time I am calling and a cougar just appears and it had to cover a lot of ground to get where it is and dang if I ever saw it during its approach. We call bear too but thats a shot gun affair and generally you can hear them coming.

Ol dude was lucky...

If I were in the same position I would have dropped the camera then fired until the lion dropped.
Camera's (like a GoPro) today are mounted on many folks chest, similar to where your binoculars area, or on your head with a harness. You hold nothing to operate it. I'm seeing them on chukar hunts so a person can film their dog, duck blinds to film birds working and how beautiful your dog is retrieving. The issue of starting firing sooner and firing longer is another story.

Camera's (like a GoPro) today are mounted on many folks chest, similar to where your binoculars area, or on your head with a harness. You hold nothing to operate it. I'm seeing them on chukar hunts so a person can film their dog, duck blinds to film birds working and how beautiful your dog is retrieving. The issue of starting firing sooner and firing longer is another story.
So why not both hands on the pistol?

Did he think he could shoot better one-hand style?

Yeah us dog people are weird like that.

xvMne9w.png

yj3d5UW.png

bgslahR.png

Thirty years ago I loaded up some 200gr partitions for my boss's .300 Weatherby he carried on an Idaho elk hunt. He was working a steep sidehill when he realized a big cat was on a limb uphill from him and less than 25 yards away. It's head was down on its paws as it inched down the limb directly toward him.

He can testify to the fact that these cats are totally unimpressed by threatening gestures with a rifle.

Said cat was DRT after a bullet hole in the forehead. Weighed up at 125 pounds. Rear core of the bullet was in the hindquarters. My boss called the Idaho Game & Fish Dept. and related the whole story. (Didn't have a cat tag.) They didn't charge him with anything, and said that if it had attacked he wouldn't have had a chance. I think they might have let him have the pelt but I don't remember that part for certain.

Thirty years ago I loaded up some 200gr partitions for my boss's .300 Weatherby he carried on an Idaho elk hunt. He was working a steep sidehill when he realized a big cat was on a limb uphill from him and less than 25 yards away. It's head was down on its paws as it inched down the limb directly toward him.

He can testify to the fact that these cats are totally unimpressed by threatening gestures with a rifle.

Said cat was DRT after a bullet hole in the forehead. Weighed up at 125 pounds. Rear core of the bullet was in the hindquarters. My boss called the Idaho Game & Fish Dept. and related the whole story. (Didn't have a cat tag.) They didn't charge him with anything, and said that if it had attacked he wouldn't have had a chance. I think they might have let him have the pelt but I don't remember that part for certain.
We've had mountain lions spotted where we live. My wife and I do go for 4 mile walks up the North Hills around our wooded development. A lot of times in the evenings because that's when it's cooler and when we can usually go together. She carries pepper spray, I carry a .357. There are so many places along our walk a cat could ambush us from the woods off the dirt roads it's not funny. It's already burned into my brain that if I spot a cat and make eye contact, it approaches- I shoot first and beg forgiveness later. A cat stalking a human proves it's either not a normal cat, or too old to hunt and going after 'easy prey'.

Then why shoot one handed? Because his phone was in his left hand.