Lion Confrontation

Is it possible he's recording out of fear of legal repercussions should he actually kill the cougar? Assuming he doesn't have a tag, the video provide irrefutable evidence that he acted out of self defense.

I also agree that he did not present himself properly. Yeah, if you see a cat from afar and it's not acting aggressively, back away calmly. But in this situation, he definitely should have acted as much like a bear as he could have. Probably wouldn't have even needed to worry about recording then.

It must be a different generation… I'm in my mid 30s now and the thought to film such an encounter would've never crossed my mind.
I always have a lion tag and that cat would've come home with me.
No tag or out of season…? I think I still would've shot it as it poses a danger to society being unafraid to get so close to humans. Definitely wouldn't be a video or photos though. I don't ever take pics of my kills, just never felt the desire.

Wow!!!! That is really Scary . The cat has no fear. If I were elk hunting My 300 Roy would be loaded with three Elk Rounds, In This case , after backing up 20 feet , I would have used them on the cat. So Sorry if that offends anyone. My Good friend from Montana has this issues with Wolves while Elk Hunting. He says we have a Motto out here in Montana, " Shoot, Shovel and Shut Up"

Glad he is ok. That could have been bad. The area I live and hunt in is invested with cougars.
I had a close call Turkey hunting a few years back and had a big mature tom cougar come in hot on me and my then 9 year old son.
I popped off a round from a revolver at it and missed it (I still catch grief from my boy over that). It bolted and ran into the brush off the side of the trail, fast and away.
He was going to straight up make a run at us, his body language was obvious. It was midday and mild. Looking back I'm convinced he heard my son's little voice yammering and came in to it.
I always have a sidearm on me in addition to whatever long gun I may be hunting with. I like the Kenai Chest Rig, I have one for the Glock 20 and the Ruger .454. I won't hesitate to shoot one. I've seen a number of them over the years and they all bolted away. This one wanted us.

Elk hunter in Idaho met some competition.

I don't want to sound rude or insensitive but I've been accused of it enough to accept it lol! That was dumb! He should have put the phone down and controlled his trigger pull then he wouldn't have needed the second shot. Both shots were too close for warning shots. The cat is still alive to feast on the next prey that may not be armed. Wild predators that have no fear of man have no place in my food chain.

Many years ago when I was 21, my friends and I were charged by a mountain lion in the California desert of all places. A .45ACP from my 1911 put an end to it. No one got hurt but sure scared the crap out of us. I learned to always carry when hiking from that. The choice of pistols has changed over the years but not the concept.

Recent Posts