Limited mobility hunts

timmymic

Looking for a hunt I can go on with my dad which requires little physically. Trying to avoid a bait pile hunt. So far I'm thinkinf it might be limited to truck hunting antelope but other options would be appreciated.

A friend's pop has same situation. They went to the game & fish to check the regulations for pop's hunt and were surprised at what all that was involved. I'm sure the regs vary from state to state. Good luck

The old farts in my neck of the woods hunt from quads, (me included). A dry box strapped to the back rack often serves as a shooting platform. Lots of places rent quads out and you can get a single or a two-up so your dad could ride shotgun on the back. It works good for deer, moose and black bear. Even the guides are using them for older clients now.

Looking for a hunt I can go on with my dad which requires little physically. Trying to avoid a bait pile hunt. So far I'm thinkinf it might be limited to truck hunting antelope but other options would be appreciated.

You might consider a private land guided cow elk hunt. Many guides are good about accommodating older folks that are not able to do much walking and can't hike. They often mention on their web site or advertisement that they can accommodate hunters with physical limitations. One strategy they use is to put the hunter or a couple of hunters and a guide in a portable blind (that they access by truck) that is placed to overlook an evening feeding area or watering hole. If the hunter can do some moderate walking, there are additional options. It depends on the hunters physical limitations. So you might contact some guides and inquire about what they can do to make you father's hunt enjoyable an successful.

What location, type of game, etc? There are blind and stand hunts for deer, pronghorn at water holes, etc, and there are specialized hunts for handicapped and disabled vets here in CO.

Just got back from an oryx hunt in NM on White Sands Missle Range. The hunter was 100 lbs. overweight, with bad knees. hunter with us shot one 100 yards off the road. The game wardens said all you had to do was step off of the roadway to shoot. If he doesn't have to have a trophy, and can make a 300 or 400 yard shot, it is a fairly easy hunt. It was a 2-1/2 day hunt, and we were done after a day and 1/2. We probably saw close to 100 oryx. We made two 1/2 mile stalks where other hunters shot just as he was getting ready. And another stalk where he missed a 300 yard shot (first big game animal). You can drive off-road to retrieve game. It is a draw hunt, but NM likes out of state hunters because they pay so much more. If your doctor will certify the following, you can shoot from the vehicle. "
Part 2: PHYSICIAN STATEMENT
I certify that ________has the following permanent mobility restriction(s) as described below. Please check one or more.
1. Permanently restricted to the use of wheelchair walker or two crutches
2. Severe permanent restriction of movement of both arms
3. Combination of permanent disabilities which cause comparable substantial functional limitation."

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.