limited COAL in 6MM AI or drop back to 243 AI?

clacka6mm

debating on what i Want to do with my 6MM remington

its never been all that accurate since i have had it ,(1 MOA at best) its due for a rebarrel anyway.. the gun is slightly limited in the fact its built on a model 788 chassis in LH and i plan on keeping the magazine. but this restricts my loaded COAL to 2.900 for rounds in the magazine, ( pack gun while deer coyote etc hunting)

love the gun itself.. just not the caliber and availability of the load i want to fire out of it.. ( NONE) so im stuck reloading anyway....

if I do the AI setup on the new barrel... to gain the most out of a 26" 1:7.75 twist barrel with the magazine limitation which makes more sense... drop to 243 AI and keep shooting the 95-105 gr i currently use with factory 6MM chambering with similar velocitys or develop 2 loads in 6MM AI 1 longer for where theres time to single load and 1 that fits in the mag and shoots as good as anyone can free hand.. this is a primarily deer medium game gun that may get some varmit use and thats a big MAY barrel wear isnt a huge concern so long as it gets 2000 or so rounds, will probably last me as long as i will keep it and then some

if i stay with 95-105 gr range of bullet id like to see about 3300fps if its safely possible...

I'm shooting a 6mm AI on a Sako 85 with a 22" barrel and am safely pushing the 95 grain classic hunters at 3280 with my short barrel. I can load to 2.940" just a little more than you say you can and I have great accuracy. This load shoots right at .4moa for me. I shot my extra doe this year with this combo at 522 yards and the Berger destroyed the heart and had 3 large exit holes from the shrapnel.

You gain alot more going with the 6AI over the 243 AI since there is more taper blown out and shoulder angle moved with the formation of the 6mmAI.

Just my 2 cents

clacka6mm,

I see no reason to fight the battles of COAL and having to choose AI.

You can use the 6mm Creedmoor cartridge and have the best of both worlds; a cartridge with longer bullets seated out to NOT encroach on powder space and a COAL of 2.800" using the longer 105 grain AMAX bullets. Brass is available for reloading along with a substantial number and type of bullets from which to choose.

6mm Creedmoor | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Brass and dies are available from GA Precision.

6MM Creedmoor Brass Now Available at Good Prices « Daily Bulletin

Regards.

clacka6mm,

I see no reason to fight the battles of COAL and having to choose AI.

You can use the 6mm Creedmoor cartridge and have the best of both worlds; a cartridge with longer bullets seated out to NOT encroach on powder space and a COAL of 2.800" using the longer 105 grain AMAX bullets. Brass is available for reloading along with a substantial number and type of bullets from which to choose.

6mm Creedmoor | PrecisionRifleBlog.com

Brass and dies are available from GA Precision.

6MM Creedmoor Brass Now Available at Good Prices « Daily Bulletin

Regards.

i already know 243AI fits in longer bullet set lengths as my business partner has 105 VLD loaded for his AI at 2.787 which feeds out of my stock magazine easily and leaves about .120 to load 115's load for load my stock 6mm is 50-75 fps slower than his AI so dropping back to the 243 AI isn't that much of a huge deal ill make the 50 fps up in the 2" longer barrel from his and the possibility of sh-arable brass (provided the barrel maker i use can match his barrel specs) is why i even considered the 243 AI but the 6mm creedmore does sound like an option... i know the action will accommodate 3.210" just my limiting is the mag... so its feasible to develop a magazine length load with reduced velocity or bullet weight to have to repeat fire if absolutely needed just means a bit more work on my part mentally...lol

may I offer you a better suggestion:

build a 6mm/250AI instead. Nothing but a 22-250AI necked up to 6mm. Use factory .243 brass, and cut the neck a little on the long side. I shoot this combo, and it will shoot 105's a tick under 3100fps, and ought to shoot 90 grain bullets at 3200fps. You'll never begin to get close to the mag length restriction. Have a little better barrel life than the .243AI (if it matters much). The other combo to look at is the 6.5x55 necked down to 6mm. You'll gain .07", and have a better neck design than the .243. There's also the 6mm Vias. The shoulder is pushed back about .078", and the case is improved with a 30 degree angle. This round will push a 70 grain bullet faster than a Swift can push a 50 grain bullet (4150fps), but really comes to life with heavy bullets
gary

the gun by far likes 90-95 gr bullets as is with the worn barrel semi freehand ( rests but not in bench vice or blocks) 5 shots were .750 group ( gun better than i am in cold wet rain soaked conditions) than it likes 100 gr.. so now that im out of the garbage low velocity factory junk i bought for more brass to build up today... pesky new gun range close by i just got access to....

had a few hand loads and they were the 5 that grouped were RE-22( and 95 gr SST hornady and through my garbage worn out 22" factory barrel ran an average of 3160 with 2" less barrel then the friend who loaded them and his load data was 3235 average W/ 24" on 1:8 i didnt personally load the 5 so will have to call who i got them from last reloading session.. for powder charge..

interestingly earlier before moving down range i was 5 shots in 3 holes within a pinky size hole... on sight in range so im sure most of the error was my own movement from getting cold... ;p

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.