.243 to a .243 AI

huntokanogan

I have 2 .243's in my safe. One is an old win. handed down to me from my grandfather so I don't want to do anything to that one. The other is a Howa 1500 and I was thinking about turning it into a 243 AI. Thought this would be the gun to start with since it would be my first time customizing a rifle and since it's a cheap gun I (or the smith to be excact) wouldn't be ruining anything special if something happened.
What is involved in doing this project?
What is the cost going to be? (approx)
And what are the ballistic advantages of the AI compaired to the standard 243?
Also I was told that in a pinch regular 243 ammo could be shot out of it...True or false?

I have 2 .243's in my safe. One is an old win. handed down to me from my grandfather so I don't want to do anything to that one. The other is a Howa 1500 and I was thinking about turning it into a 243 AI. Thought this would be the gun to start with since it would be my first time customizing a rifle and since it's a cheap gun I (or the smith to be excact) wouldn't be ruining anything special if something happened.
What is involved in doing this project?
What is the cost going to be? (approx)
And what are the ballistic advantages of the AI compaired to the standard 243?
Also I was told that in a pinch regular 243 ammo could be shot out of it...True or false?

1. if your concerened that "something" could go wrong, you have the wrong gunsmith.
2. how "involved" do you want the project to be?
3. how much do you want to spend?
4. faster
5. yes/true

Last edited:
I would advise you to do some research on the AI cartridge lineup. Get Ackley's books and read the text, not the load data. He explains the whole concept in detail. Unless you are an experienced handloader, I suggest you avoid getting into an AI situation.

I realize that was a lot of questions to ask. I am new to doing any custom work like this and before I take my project to a smith I just wanted to have a little knowledge about what was going to be happening.
And no, I didn't expect anything to go wrong. I shoul've just said I didn't want to do it to my granpas "Old Shooter" It's got a ton of sentimental value and I would love my son to kill his first deer with it.
Thanks for the replys and I will consider everything.

I would advise you to do some research on the AI cartridge lineup. Get Ackley's books and read the text, not the load data. He explains the whole concept in detail. Unless you are an experienced handloader, I suggest you avoid getting into an AI situation.

Eddie, I was wondering what you think can go wrong with Acleyized cartridges. I've owned and been playing with them for about 35 years and haven't experienced any trouble. I view their attributes like this.
1. These cartridges don't require length trimming as often as cases with less shoulder angle.
2. On many rounds their is a significant velocity gain going this route. The 257 Roberts AI is an obvious good example.
3. Load development is easy. After fireforming, I start with the max load for the standard case and work up from there. I've never had a problem, I'm sure someone will jump on me for posting this but , in my experience it works fine.
4. Proper Ackley chambers can have factory ammo fired in them in a pinch. This can't be said for most wildcats.
5. I may have missed something, if I did, tell us about it.

I realize that was a lot of questions to ask. I am new to doing any custom work like this and before I take my project to a smith I just wanted to have a little knowledge about what was going to be happening.
And no, I didn't expect anything to go wrong. I shoul've just said I didn't want to do it to my granpas "Old Shooter" It's got a ton of sentimental value and I would love my son to kill his first deer with it.
Thanks for the replys and I will consider everything.

I got my first Ackley in the 80's and I had about 15yrs reloading experience by then. I think I was lucky in that we didn't have computers and what I learned about the Ackley's was from experience shooters and it was face to face also the gunsmith that build my first AI was helpful.

I've always used new barrels for my AI so cann't say what you get rechambering an existing barrel. Once you get past the fireform loading for the 243AI is pretty easy. I would use the start loads for the 243 and work up to max and if you can shoot over a chronograph and I think you should understand about pressure sign etc if going above max loads for the 243.

I kind of agree with Eddie about reading up on the 243AI here a good place to start
.243 Win + .243 AI Cartridge Guide You might even do a search here.

I've been shooting the 243 since 1965 and acouple years ago got a 243AI build and I use a hart 1/10 twist barrel pretty nice caliber. there alot of good gunsmith on this site that could help build a 243AI.

Well good luck

Very good info. Gotta say though I am glad we have computers now otherwise this AI thing would just be something I had read about. Now I can ask you guys about it with my COMPUTER. Obviously you were lucky enough to have someone you knew teach you how to do a build...we don't all have that luxury so I'm finding info this way. Don't think that makes me any less deserving to learn how. I am definitely not ready to do this buid on my own yet. There is much learning to do first. I have reloaded quite a bit and know some old timers who have been into custom builds. Tom's post was correct in one aspect. what I need is first hand knowledge and to get my hands into a build. Thats why I am giving this project a try. I have made contact with a local smith that agreed to let me work with him on my build and...viola! I'll be right where you were tom.

Is there a 6mm AI? or any other .243/6mm wildcat/improved rounds people like? I liked the Idea of the 6mm-06 but think thats bigger than I want in this rifle. I have an extra -06 so I considered that build first.
You just gotta love the "not common" round that make people say...what is that?
I just bought a rem 700 bdl ss in a 7mm stw and really like it. At least I think I do (only put 20 rounds through it so far)
Well thanks for the thoughts gents

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.