Like hunting subsonic suppressed? Here’s what is sounds like down range.

I use Discreet Ballistics 188gr hunting rounds. Longest shot on deer was about 50-60 yards. Worked great from a suppressed 10" barrel.

In my AR the 220s are very quiet. Initially, subs would not cycle without the suppressor on, gas block open all the way. After some research, switched to AA1680 powder and it cycles fine with/without the can on. 16" barrel and is at least MOA out to 150. I haven't tried light bullets like the 190s yet.
I liked this setup so much, I am contemplating doing a bolt gun also.

AAC and Remington did a Mod 7 collaboration,10 years or so ago.

I picked one up on an impulse buy. I wasn't expecting much, wasn't sure I'd ever use it. I found a camo McMillan on sale and one of my favorite guns was born.

Throw a Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 on it, with a Silencerco Omega on it, it's quieter than a pellet gun. H110 is the quietest I have found but 4227 is also ridiculously quiet in that gun.

I have one of the AAC model 7s in 300 blk, love it. I've used subs in it and in a 308 Rem 700 tactical. I feel really comfortable with them to 100/150 yards for pig or deer. That said, I use 110 grain supers in the blk if still hunting now. I've had enough times over the last few years with opportunities that I wouldn't take a risk on (trophy deer over 200 yards) that I stick with harder hitters like 25-06, 280, or 6.5 cm.

I use the AA1680 and 215 grain cast flat points in my 300 blk sub "ride around the ranch" AR load. It stops pigs just fine, but so does the 9mm AR with flat point cast 147 grain subs.

I like subs, but I don't want to have to focus so heavily on small changes in range.

I pulled targets in the pit on the 1000 yard range at Ben Avery once. My buddy was shooting a 308 Norma mag.
The crack of that bullet going overhead was pretty loud.
Yep, any supersonic bullet passing overhead is loud. I've worked the pits at Quantico quite a bit and at Reade Range in PA and we (pit crew) always wear ear protection.

Is there truly enough at 100 yards with subs?
Yes. Mine was mid front shoulder stopped under the opposite side hide. Expanded to .458". I don't think I would shoot at 150 yards. There wouldn't be enough expansion or energy unless it was a spinal shot.

Is there truly enough at 100 yards with subs?
Yes, easily. 300 BLK is enough IMO with a good bullet, and everything bigger has even more. 450 BM is my current favorite sub, will likely stay that way unless my 8.6 BLK failure was a fluke. The Bushmaster hits pigs like a sledge hammer. Not the best trajectory for unknown distance shots but when they connect you can hear it.

Spent Saturday looking for sheds and noticed plenty of rock chucks out in the canyon. Went back this morning with my 300 BLK and 220 gr subs. Head/neck shots only and definitely less "dramatic" than the 22 Creed, but still a great time!

Snapseed.jpeg

Recent Posts