Like hunting subsonic suppressed? Here’s what is sounds like down range.

I can't speak to AR loads for 300 BLK, but my quietest load for my bolt rifle was using Unique powder with Hornady 190 Subx.
I spent a lot of time and components working up that load but realized that the "whop" of that 190 grain slapping pork will scatter pigs as much as a louder report from the rifle. Then mission change for my 300 BLK and I decided to use up the CFEBLK that I have on subsonic pig hunting loads. It's a little louder but actually groups more consistent.
Unique has been real hard to get as well.

I can't speak to AR loads for 300 BLK, but my quietest load for my bolt rifle was using Unique powder with Hornady 190 Subx.
I spent a lot of time and components working up that load but realized that the "whop" of that 190 grain slapping pork will scatter pigs as much as a louder report from the rifle. Then mission change for my 300 BLK and I decided to use up the CFEBLK that I have on subsonic pig hunting loads. It's a little louder but actually groups more consistent.
Unique has been real hard to get as well.
I imagine pigs would scatter easily from my YouTube pig hunting experiences…from what I've seen. I've never hunted pigs, but that makes sense.

I was thinking short range white tail hunting. Mule deer will definitely stand still with a suppressed load.

I would love to try and whack an elk with one, but it's darn hard getting that close to them outside of the rut in hunting season. I already have a bull tag in a good area this year. I put in for a cow tag as well. Perhaps if I get one elk down I can mess with 300 blk on the second elk??? Decisions, decisions.

I've used a .300 Whisper, aka Blackout, since it's inception by my friend, JD Jones of SSK. Mine is on a Contender frame with a 16" barrel. I've taken over 120 deer with it, with the largest a heavy WV 8 pt. at 240 yds. in a driving wind/rain storm with a 220 gr. Sierra RN Game King. He dropped. Also taken turkeys, feral pigs, groundhogs with this bullet. It's performance far exceeds Sierra 220, 240 HPBT Match bullets. Der tend to run from the Match bullets. 95% drop with the 220 RN.
The sound is extremely quiet. I've only used WW296 in it forever.

I've used a .300 Whisper, aka Blackout, since it's inception by my friend, JD Jones of SSK. Mine is on a Contender frame with a 16" barrel. I've taken over 120 deer with it, with the largest a heavy WV 8 pt. at 240 yds. in a driving wind/rain storm with a 220 gr. Sierra RN Game King. He dropped. Also taken turkeys, feral pigs, groundhogs with this bullet. It's performance far exceeds Sierra 220, 240 HPBT Match bullets. Der tend to run from the Match bullets. 95% drop with the 220 RN.
The sound is extremely quiet. I've only used WW296 in it forever.
Interesting. Good tip on the RN.

I'm interested in some of the copper projectiles for sub use.

Interesting. Good tip on the RN.

I'm interested in some of the copper projectiles for sub use.

200 gr Makers seem to get brought up often. I haven't tried it out on game yet, but that's my plan for this fall. I shot some a few weeks back at 100 yards and got a respectable 1.25" group out of them. Will try with N110 to see if they can group a little better, but that's plenty good for deer at 100-150 yards.

200 gr Makers seem to get brought up often. I haven't tried it out on game yet, but that's my plan for this fall. I shot some a few weeks back at 100 yards and got a respectable 1.25" group out of them. Will try with N110 to see if they can group a little better, but that's plenty good for deer at 100-150 yards.
Agreed. Definitely no need for bench rest precision at 300 BLK ranges!

Minute of deer is acceptable.

FireFly, I also tested bullets in my Whisper for Lehigh Defense. Their original bullets were very poor in performance. After many tries of progressive bullets I found an all copper that performs about as well as the 200 gr. RN. It's the 186 gr. Controlled Chaos. Cool bullet. A large hollow cavity with skives around the nose so 4 pedals separate when stricking game. Inside the cavity is a .17 cal. bullet. So when game is hit there are 6 tracks of damage- 4 from the nose pedals, 1 from the .17 cal. & 1 from the solid base. It performs exactly like the 220 RN-95% INSTANT drops of game. The only "problem" is that it shoots flatter than the 220 RN, so , I.e., of using my mil dot of 150 yd. for the 220 RN, I have to use the 125 yd. mildot for a 150 yd. shot.
Obviously, since a suppressed bullet flies like a thrown rock a mil dot scope is MANDATORY for subsonic work. I see guys using regular scopes for their subsonic loads. This is a total waste of time & ammo.
I also tried so newer subsonic rounds, i.e., the Horn. 190 gr subsonic. It shot so far off my 220 RNs that I didn't even try to use them on game. Besides, how is it going out perform the Lehigh Chaos & Sierra 220 RN? No contest.
JD developed the Whisper using 240 gr. Sierra HPBT Match bullets. These kill by tumbling, leaving ragged exit holes and iffy internal damage. I made my longest subsonic shot with this on a deer at 270 yds. Double shoulder hit with both lungs hit showed very little internal damage. She ran close to 100 yards in an open field (no blood trail) & needed a finisher.
Also, I tried 200, 220 gr. HPBTs. They are not long enough to tumble well. The deer I shot with them acted like they were not hit & ran a ways. Luckily, I found them. These bullets ARE NOT proper subsonic bullets for instant killing.
Bottom line, use Sierra 220 RN & Lehigh 186 Controlled Chaos & you won't regret it.

The clicky things have to be adjusted with each shot a different ranges. Can you remember all the different clicks??
On my mildot I experimented with the power setting so each dot is 25 yards. I range the animal, count down dots to the right range & shoot. Takes about 2-3 seconds. No clicking, no raising my head to see the clicks. Doesn't get any easier!!

I'll stick to turrets. Zero at 100 and adjust from there. My Revic LRF makes it pretty easy - no need to remember adjustments when the LRF spits out the correction for you.

Last edited:
FireFly, I also tested bullets in my Whisper for Lehigh Defense. Their original bullets were very poor in performance. After many tries of progressive bullets I found an all copper that performs about as well as the 200 gr. RN. It's the 186 gr. Controlled Chaos. Cool bullet. A large hollow cavity with skives around the nose so 4 pedals separate when stricking game. Inside the cavity is a .17 cal. bullet. So when game is hit there are 6 tracks of damage- 4 from the nose pedals, 1 from the .17 cal. & 1 from the solid base. It performs exactly like the 220 RN-95% INSTANT drops of game. The only "problem" is that it shoots flatter than the 220 RN, so , I.e., of using my mil dot of 150 yd. for the 220 RN, I have to use the 125 yd. mildot for a 150 yd. shot.
Obviously, since a suppressed bullet flies like a thrown rock a mil dot scope is MANDATORY for subsonic work. I see guys using regular scopes for their subsonic loads. This is a total waste of time & ammo.
I also tried so newer subsonic rounds, i.e., the Horn. 190 gr subsonic. It shot so far off my 220 RNs that I didn't even try to use them on game. Besides, how is it going out perform the Lehigh Chaos & Sierra 220 RN? No contest.
JD developed the Whisper using 240 gr. Sierra HPBT Match bullets. These kill by tumbling, leaving ragged exit holes and iffy internal damage. I made my longest subsonic shot with this on a deer at 270 yds. Double shoulder hit with both lungs hit showed very little internal damage. She ran close to 100 yards in an open field (no blood trail) & needed a finisher.
Also, I tried 200, 220 gr. HPBTs. They are not long enough to tumble well. The deer I shot with them acted like they were not hit & ran a ways. Luckily, I found them. These bullets ARE NOT proper subsonic bullets for instant killing.
Bottom line, use Sierra 220 RN & Lehigh 186 Controlled Chaos & you won't regret it.
I was on Midway last night looking at the 220 RN. Several reviewers mentioned these bullets did not expand in hunting scenarios shooting subsonic.

What can I say FireFly, I've used the 220 RN for 35-40 years with 95% of the deer, turkeys, coyotes I've shot drop in their tracks. The few that didn't ran went 30-75 yds. due to less than perfect bullet placement by me. Internal damage is 1 1/2 -2". Exits are around 1". To me it shows bullet tumbling as well as some expansion. That's based on at least 90 deer. None of the turkeys or coyotes moved a hair.
Maybe the guys on Midway shot one or 2 deer & based their thoughts on that. My testing medium is a little larger. I was especially impressed on the big 8 point at 240 yards in the wind & rain.
I guess to each his own. I was just offering my findings based on what I experienced. I'm totally satisfied with this bullet.