Lightweight rear bag ideas ...

ol mike

Howdee ,

I do a lot of walking to get back away from the road warriors -so- a sandbag rear rest is out of the question.

I've did some research on 'fill' materials i could use and the best 'idea' so far is round-ish cork media -problem is it's not real round and i'm afraid it won't squeeze up and hold very well if it's not smooth and round.
I called a few makers of 'corky's' and such -who make fishing products [cork and plastic beads] that look like salmon eggs -they were not even remotely helpful -answer was -no we don't won't do that.Sounded like they suspected a hostile take-over of the corkys market..
Plastic beads are too heavy.

I'd like to find a product 'filler media' i could use for a rear-bag and possibly camp pillow --any ideas ???? what might work?????

As a data point, I have a Caldwell rear bag filled with the beany baby beads and it weighs almost exactly 1.5 pounds. Although I'm very happy with it's performance, I'm always on the lookout for ways to lighten the pack. I've considered filling the rabbit ears with that expanding foam you use around windows etc. , since a little stiffness there wouldn't hurt. It might drop 2-3oz from the weight?

Keep us updated with your findings.

AJ

Below is what I've used for quite a while now. I have a small aluminum carabiner type clip that I have clipped on the bag end handle all of the time. When needed I can just clip it on a belt clip or my pack and it's there when I need it. Never notice the weight and it works on edge or on end and has some squish to it so you can squeeze it to adjust.

MISC_Shooting_Gear_RedMan_Rear_Bag_Woodland_MARPAT.jpg
View Larger Image RedMan Rear Bag: Woodland MARPAT

Price: $26.99

Usually ships in 2 days
outofstock.gif
Made for Triad by RedMan, famous for his rear bag/sand sock production skills. These MARPAT bags are a Triad EXCLUSIVE! The bags have two straps, one the end and one on the side. These bags are made for us, with our company name (TRIAD) on the end strap. That way you can tell your friends where to get one when they try to steal YOURS!
Woodland MARPAT
6" tall and 4" across, Poly bead fill, about 1.33 pounds.
MARPAT%201.jpg

I use some micro poly bead filling. It's like the bean bag chair filling but much smaller beads. Don't let them get loose on you, they are tough to get rounded back up. I found them while wandering around the sewing/quilting store waiting for my wife.

I do pretty much like Dick except I make my own out of the poly beads that Geargrinder mentioned.

To make the bag, I cut the arm off an old camo shirt and sew up one end. The other end I cut to make it so I can sew a funnel tube and have a neck that I can tie off and then I sew it up. I then go outside and fill the bag up and tie the neck off and make a loop in the twine so I can use the little caribiner clip as recommended. I carry two. I also have a rabbit ear rear bag filled with them.

I use a piece of closed cell foam 6x12" and cut in the shape of a wedge of cheese,about 4 1/2" thick to 1" on the other end. covered with a piece of filter material, a nylon loop sewed in for a carabiner, weighs only a few oz, yet is really solid for shooting, a pic
100_0279.jpg

RR

I'm up on all the bags like the -triad and such -just too heavy to carry 15 miles/2-3 days in the mountains.
To hike into a wilderness area and still be comfortable w/ your pack you have to count every ounce ,all my equipment for lightweight backpacking is titanium -pot -stove -fork --ultralight tarp -down bag -mountain house freeze dried meals -water purifier tablets etc. right down to the clothes and boots i wear.
Every ounce you save allows your hunt to be that much more enjoyable and allows you to trek further into the wilderness.
Anything you have in your pack that has more than one use is great -my ultralight tarp is also a rain poncho w/a hood.
I hope to build a good shooting bag/camp pillow in one .
Gonna go to a craft store and see what i can find for -fill material- ,i'll use a small stuff sack w/the top sewn closed for the first bag...

I should have been more clear on why i have to have the shooting bag so light ,appreciate all the ideas so far ,and glad your rear bags are working out for you w/ your type of hunting.
Thanks Mike

Western mountaineering builds the finest bags there are -i have an 800down pillow from another maker -down =known for its compressibility is just that -too compressible.
A rifle w/a mans head laying on it is a little too much weight for a pillow of goose down.

I've used everything from a jacket -sock hat -backpack etc. -when i am sitting glassing i'll be wearing my jacket.

should have been more clear on why i have to have the shooting bag so light ,appreciate all the ideas so far ,and glad your rear bags are working out for you w/ your type of hunting.

You were given good advice. If you choose to believe that you got bad advice then you are no smarter than a run over posssum. Quit acting like a moron and take the dam good advice you got. Geargrinder and a hundred more of us use the poly beads and we ain't as stupid as you would like to believe. I learned about them from Dave King and he is not wrong very often, although he has a few screws loose when it comes to rifle selection for grizzly bears.

If you don't know what poly beads are then just say so.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.