Lighter bullets in 308

Try going to the link below. it is Hodgdon's Reduced Recoil Rifle Load Data and explains how using H4895 @ 60% of Max. charge. So if your able to find load data for 308 using whatever bullet and H4895 powder. So for example if it says using 150gr bullet that there max load is 45grs of H4895 the take 45 x .60 = 27grs.Therefore you could broaden your bullet selection and still have significant recoil reduction. Check out the link.

I have done this in my brother's rifle. It has a nasty little kick and he got a twinge in his neck from a good few rounds.
For his hunting a reduced load works.

Also the Trail Boss if that suits.

Both powders mentioned are made in Australia by ADI/Thales

Like many others I have had great results with 125 & 130 gr bullets in 308.
I once shot a buck at about 70 yards with a 30-06 with 130 gr Barnes and had way too much damage and felt the 308 would be better suited for
light weight 120-130 gr bullets.
When I was young my mentor shot 110 -125 gr bullets in his 308 and had mostly DRT performance.
Here in Montana I can buy an over the counter doe tag for area I hunt and use a 308 and 130 gr Barnes TSX but make sure you run a drill bit to make sure the tip is open.
If it's clogged like some I have used it will go straight through and not open,same with Bergers but a little less likely.
Old Rooster

I have an excellent load with 125g sierra bullets and 4320 powder, 4 hole clover leaf at 100yds, its the first time i ever got 4 shots touching and now I try to duplicate that with every load that I develop.

I run 125 SST's & Benchmark in my 308 truck gun. Rarely does anything take more than 2 steps with this combo within 200yds. That's my cheap little Remington in my avatar. It stays in the Jeep on the ranch. Very little recoil, my wife shoots it all the time.

There are some Nosler 30 caliber 125 grain ballistic tips for sale. Check in the reloading and equipment on this site

One thing about the Nosler 125 BT's. They have a tapered jacket with a thick solid base so they'll be right in the middle between the VMAX and the Hammers as far as expansion. You might check with Nosler and Hodgdons but I think 42 gr of H4895 would put you around 2750-2800 fps. Should be good for whitetails out to maybe 300 yards. Good luck!

I have a bunch of 125 nosler bt's and a bunch of 110 vmax. I bought 2 boxes of hammers too. I'm all set I think. Thanks
I've shot a few Ks (maybe close to 10K) 110 VMax with mild load of 44 grains of 8208 through my double lugged M1As in standing and rapid fire. They accounted for many cleans with high X counts in the rapid fire events at 200 and 300. Precision was comparable to the other match bullets I shot.

The recoil in the heavy barreled McM stocked double lugged rifles was very mild, recovery back on the X ring was much shorter compared to shooting the M852s or FGMM 168s.

Never tried the 110s on game, but they are the ticket to reduced recoil and precision.

Back in 90s when the BTs were first introduced we tried them on whitetails. Early production must have thinner jackets, we had splatters on entry. Never tried them again.

The jackets and construction on the VMAX will be much thinner than the Ballistic Tips. VMAX will be a common cup and core design with a very thin jacket. Nosler BT's are an extruded jacket that will taper to a solid base. Their old customer satisfication rep frequently advise loaders with recoil sensitive hunter that they would work on whitetails within reason.

I've shot a few Ks (maybe close to 10K) 110 VMax with mild load of 44 grains of 8208 through my double lugged M1As in standing and rapid fire. They accounted for many cleans with high X counts in the rapid fire events at 200 and 300. Precision was comparable to the other match bullets I shot.

The recoil in the heavy barreled McM stocked double lugged rifles was very mild, recovery back on the X ring was much shorter compared to shooting the M852s or FGMM 168s.

Never tried the 110s on game, but they are the ticket to reduced recoil and precision.

Back in 90s when the BTs were first introduced we tried them on whitetails. Early production must have thinner jackets, we had splatters on entry. Never tried them again.
Actually, the Nosler BTs came out in the early 80s. I had great accuracy with the 130 gr. in my 270 Win so I took them to Wyoming for a deer hunt in '82. Put three rounds into the heart/lung area of a big 4x4 at 40 yards without any exit wounds. He finally locked up and collapsed without any visible reaction to any of the shots. I never used them again.

Last edited:
Actually, the Nosler BTs came out in the early 80s. I had great accuracy with the 130 gr. in my 270 Win so I took them to Wyoming for a deer hunt in '84. Put three rounds into the heart/lung area of a big 4x4 at 40 yards without any exit wounds. He finally locked up and collapsed without any visible reaction to any of the shots. I never used them again.
I stand corrected on the release year.

They beefed up the line when the ultra mags came out. I shot a Texas Whitetail with 168 BT through the shoulder and two mulies in Oregon. One shot on all three drt. 308 win.