Light wt long rangle rifle: what´s between 7WSM and 28Nosler?

NONE of the shorts above have enough power and performance for clean kill on an elk beyond about 455 yards ,, you might get an occasional lucky hit, but not on a consistent basis ,,, I would look at some of the long action mags ,,, 7mm Rem mag at the very minimum ,,, on up to the 300RUM and Lazz Firebird/Warbird ,,,
Please let us in on the joke. You really are kidding right? Or do you have something to back this up and tell all of us that have killed elk much farther than that they they were just lucky hits? You really aren't helping your brand with this kind of brainless post.

Hi all!

I´m trying to set specs for a long range rifle... this one should be ligth as possible (not crazy ligth, just save weight when it´s possible and makes sense). It should be handy (I allready have long and heavy 338´s) so compact barrel will be used (20 to 24" desired, 26" at a push) and somewhat light countour.

That said, I want to squeeze some good numbers out of it, so will be using a long action, and thinking in a 7mm barrel.

SO: after that "introduction"... need to decide what chamber!!

7WSM or 7-300WSM is one option. 28Nosler is second option.

BUT: the WSM options are "short action" cartridges, so using in a long one raises potential but we are leaving some potential behind. The 28 nosler (being a very good chambering for me) is a the top case/bore ratio, and it´s a little bit over my likes for this build.

THE QUESTION IS: What´s in between? The 7 rem mag is an absolute great chambering, but it´s out of the list for some reasons. is there any 2,5" high capacity case with good brass available etc etc?? I have guessed the following options:

• 7 mm BLASER MAGNUM: really like this option, it´s a tad under 2,5" and brass could be difficult to find (but once you find it and pay a bunch for that Norma cases you are done). For some reason some people seem to get "only" 7 rem mag performance

• 7 mm LRM: seem pretty good... but I will go with the blaser before that (unless some change my mind)

• Going the wildcat route is an option, but will be nice to have some easy brass forming and dies availability. Taken a 28 nosler and shorten it to 2,5 seem to be ideal.

Any help and or suggestions on chambering, throat, barrel length are very wellcome. Planning to shoot 180 ELM-M with N570 or RL33, so some load info (specially OAL and velocities vs barrel length).

Thank you all in advance, and sorry for what to me seem like a little chaotic post :)

Cheers

I guess it all depends on how much energy or what velocity you think is required to do the job. I think the most popular number for elk is 1500 foot pounds. All those short 7s have this to 7 to 900 yards depending on bullet. I seen someone suggested the 7 prc. Might be right in the middle of what you wanted.
Shep

Hi all!

I´m trying to set specs for a long range rifle... this one should be ligth as possible (not crazy ligth, just save weight when it´s possible and makes sense). It should be handy (I allready have long and heavy 338´s) so compact barrel will be used (20 to 24" desired, 26" at a push) and somewhat light countour.

That said, I want to squeeze some good numbers out of it, so will be using a long action, and thinking in a 7mm barrel.

BUT: the WSM options are "short action" cartridges, so using in a long one raises potential but we are leaving some potential behind. The 28 nosler (being a very good chambering for me) is a the top case/bore ratio, and it´s a little bit over my likes for this build.

THE QUESTION IS: What´s in between? The 7 rem mag is an absolute great chambering, but it´s out of the list for some reasons. is there any 2,5" high capacity case with good brass available etc etc?? I have guessed the following options:

• 7 mm BLASER MAGNUM: really like this option, it´s a tad under 2,5" and brass could be difficult to find (but once you find it and pay a bunch for that Norma cases you are done). For some reason some people seem to get "only" 7 rem mag performance

• 7 mm LRM: seem pretty good... but I will go with the blaser before that (unless some change my mind)

• Going the wildcat route is an option, but will be nice to have some easy brass forming and dies availability. Taken a 28 nosler and shorten it to 2,5 seem to be ideal.

Any help and or suggestions on chambering, throat, barrel length are very wellcome. Planning to shoot 180 ELM-M with N570 or RL33, so some load info (specially OAL and velocities vs barrel length).

Thank you all in advance, and sorry for what to me seem like a little chaotic post :)

Cheers
Have used my 7wsm a lot in africa out to just under 600 yds, and i have used 168 bergers. Used on many species including zebra, eland, kudu, wildebeast, nyala, All have had clean kills. 280 ai is another really great option if you dont need 7rum, lazzeroni type performance. 7mm dakota is also a great option. I just dont like belts.

Hi all!

Cheers
You would get gr8 performance from the wsm in a shorter barrell. Whereas in 28 nosler, 7rum, dakota etc you really need the longer barrel to get the most out of them. And dont let the naysayers persuade you to believe the 7saum is the equal of the wsm. It is a gr8 cartridge, but, the wsm out performs it! 7 wsm brass was a problem but available now.

Hi all!

Cheers
My vote is for the 7mm stw 190 berger 2960fps.

Hi all!

Cheers
7mm saum and 7mm wsm are known for efficiency, accuracy and power. Proof research offers a proof light in 7mm 24" barrel. If you wanted Steel bartlien offers a #3 or 3b 5-r cut rifled barrel that could be cut back to 20-24 and would be stiff enough yet light enough to do what u want. Get a fast twist 7.5 to 8 twist barrel for better stabilization of heavy bullets. Have the mag box extended to accept a wyatt extended mag box. This will allow you to seat heavy bullets out farther for better accuracy .ALTON @ DIXIE PRRCISION RIFLES in Mississippi can build you a 1/4 MOA tack driver at a affordable price install a T-2 or T-3 Terminator brake on it and it will recoil less than a 308.

Please let us in on the joke. You really are kidding right? Or do you have something to back this up and tell all of us that have killed elk much farther than that they they were just lucky hits? You really aren't helping your brand with this kind of brainless post.
I am with you! Those statements just arent accurate. My largest animal was a 1700 lb eland at 568 yds. One 168 gr berger did the job!

I've been researching this as well, what is availble "in between 7WSM and 28 Nosler?" I have been shooting a 6.5WSM in a long action with bullets seated out longer then what short action can fit in a mag, this is not ideal in a long action, but the long action Nolsers seem like they need an extended mag box too for utilizing the long heavy bullets, so I was really looking for something that was ideally suited for a standard length long action with capability to seat long bullets up out of powder column. My research lead me to the 7mm Blaser as well. This cartridge looks as though it was designed with standard length long actions and long bullets in mind, and brass for it can be found for $1.50 ea. To bad it is not more popular here, I think most shooters just don't know about it here yet. I don't have one yet but I like the looks of the case length, perfect length half way in between the typical short action cases and long action cases. It is certainly on my short list.

BT

Have used my 7wsm a lot in africa out to just under 600 yds, and i have used 168 bergers. Used on many species including zebra, eland, kudu, wildebeast, nyala, All have had clean kills. 280 ai is another really great option if you dont need 7rum, lazzeroni type performance. 7mm dakota is also a great option. I just dont like belts.
I had a 7 Dakota built last year, I was having a hard time deciding between it and the 28 Nosler. After seeing brass prices and availability for both I haven't regretted my decision.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.