Light wt long rangle rifle: what´s between 7WSM and 28Nosler?

Majopikeras

Hi all!

I´m trying to set specs for a long range rifle... this one should be ligth as possible (not crazy ligth, just save weight when it´s possible and makes sense). It should be handy (I allready have long and heavy 338´s) so compact barrel will be used (20 to 24" desired, 26" at a push) and somewhat light countour.

That said, I want to squeeze some good numbers out of it, so will be using a long action, and thinking in a 7mm barrel.

SO: after that "introduction"... need to decide what chamber!!

7WSM or 7-300WSM is one option. 28Nosler is second option.

BUT: the WSM options are "short action" cartridges, so using in a long one raises potential but we are leaving some potential behind. The 28 nosler (being a very good chambering for me) is a the top case/bore ratio, and it´s a little bit over my likes for this build.

THE QUESTION IS: What´s in between? The 7 rem mag is an absolute great chambering, but it´s out of the list for some reasons. is there any 2,5" high capacity case with good brass available etc etc?? I have guessed the following options:

• 7 mm BLASER MAGNUM: really like this option, it´s a tad under 2,5" and brass could be difficult to find (but once you find it and pay a bunch for that Norma cases you are done). For some reason some people seem to get "only" 7 rem mag performance

• 7 mm LRM: seem pretty good... but I will go with the blaser before that (unless some change my mind)

• Going the wildcat route is an option, but will be nice to have some easy brass forming and dies availability. Taken a 28 nosler and shorten it to 2,5 seem to be ideal.

Any help and or suggestions on chambering, throat, barrel length are very wellcome. Planning to shoot 180 ELM-M with N570 or RL33, so some load info (specially OAL and velocities vs barrel length).

Thank you all in advance, and sorry for what to me seem like a little chaotic post :)

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think that the SS MAX will be ideal in short/medium actions. I will biuld a long one.

Eficiency is awesome in Rich chamberings, just waiting for the 2,5" shermanized versions!

I think the best wildcat option may be a 33nosler necked down to 7 mm... (2,46 case length)

I just built a 280 Sherman. 24" Proof barrel pushing 143 Hammer hunters over 3200fps so far but need to finish load dev with some RL23 to see if I can get my pressure down from what I'm seeing with RL16

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think that the SS MAX will be ideal in short/medium actions. I will biuld a long one.

Eficiency is awesome in Rich chamberings, just waiting for the 2,5" shermanized versions!

I think the best wildcat option may be a 33nosler necked down to 7 mm... (2,46 case length)
Have a close look at the 7 MAX, Rich's is built on a long action with a Kwik Klip and it's flawless and fits excellent.
The Blaser is also excellent, the LRM is a turd, the 7 PRC may also be a viable optiin.

NONE of the shorts above have enough power and performance for clean kill on an elk beyond about 455 yards ,, you might get an occasional lucky hit, but not on a consistent basis ,,, I would look at some of the long action mags ,,, 7mm Rem mag at the very minimum ,,, on up to the 300RUM and Lazz Firebird/Warbird ,,,

You could do one of the short wildcats on the 416 case and get the performance you are looking for, but i have heard they are difficult to get to feed from a magazine. I dont know that firsthand it is hearsay on the feeding.

NONE of the shorts above have enough power and performance for clean kill on an elk beyond about 455 yards ,, you might get an occasional lucky hit, but not on a consistent basis ,,, I would look at some of the long action mags ,,, 7mm Rem mag at the very minimum ,,, on up to the 300RUM and Lazz Firebird/Warbird ,,,
You're not serious, right?:eek:
So a 195 Berger traveling at 3000' mv is good for only 455 yards!

You're not serious, right?:eek:
So a 195 Berger traveling at 3000' mv is good for only 455 yards!

The 7 RSAUM alone has enough to kill out to 600 yds and the 7 Sherman Max out performs this cartridge if I am not mistaken

[Q
is there any 2,5" high capacity case with good brass available etc etc??
Planning to shoot 180 ELM-M with N570 or RL33, so some load info (specially OAL and velocities vs barrel length).

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Where the base of the Neck is located is what's important, then you add Your desired Neck Length. You've decided on the Projectile, I guess you mean the ELD-M? So you measure to the lowest point of the Bearing surface to the tip to determine true Projectile length and you keep this point above the base of the Neck for Reference. Once you determine Maximum OAL for your platform these factors give you a close approximation of maximum Cartridge Body Length.
There are already duplicate threads on the Blaser. With it's very long neck, it's actually a much shorter Cartridge then you realize. Once you factor in Costs of Custom Dies and Reamer is when the 28 Nosler and the 7mm Blaser begin to show great appeal AND dusty old Relic 7RM.

My Layman's version: Using 7-SAUM dies due to it's 30 Degree Shoulder it's far easier to final form on the Press using Cost Efficient Shortened 300 RUM Brass. The base of the 300 RUM Shoulder measures 2.387" hence the Brass Length of 2.38" Prior to fire-forming. This Weeks Name? "7mm-LIGHTNING".

7STW got a Gradous built with a Borden Titanium, HTG Edge, 28" proof Sendero, Hawkins Bottom and Calvin Timney. Weights 6lb 13oz.
For sale if you want it 137 rds down tube.

Look at the new 6.5RPM. Use that brass and neck it up to 28. It should be right at a 7mag in performance with no belt and no mag bolt face. Can we ask why you don't just build a 7mag.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.