LGS donor rifle for a build

Thank you all for responding, I must admit I am at the bottom of the entry level with rifles. Savage 12 and ruger predators. I have a axis short action to build off of but it doesn't fit the bill, short action 243 so it will be a youth rifle for up and comers.

My local gun stores have used guns in the 300-500 range. Various long action and magnum cals.various manufacturers. Savage seam to be rare. Remington, Winchester, browning, and other stay on the rack a long time. Looking for experience in all brands, the good the bad the ugly. If buying a new axis is better for a entry level build, I'm good with that too.
So do a 25 Creedmoor
WTH
Don't tell anyone I said that😝

Hard to go wrong with tikka, if you could fine one. Can get a shouldered prefit for $400 and be off to the races..factory stocks are not bad at all either. There will be no "need" for incremental upgrades down the road with a tikka build.

Hard to go wrong with tikka, if you could fine one. Can get a shouldered prefit for $400 and be off to the races..factory stocks are not bad at all either. There will be no "need" for incremental upgrades down the road with a tikka build.
Were are the shouldered pre fits for $400.00

Hey Bob, I hesitate to put a dollar figure on the project because it may drive the discussion into custom actions and so on. I have not set a budget at this point, hoping the results from these question will drive the cost question. I am not talking high end custom rifle but one to learn from and enjoy the process. Entry level build. I hope this doesn't stop the conversation. Thanks
If you truly want to do a build then you're better off starting with a beat up old *** from a pawnshop, estate sale, garage sale, yard sale or even flea market.

All you really want is the action and you can usually buy a whole used rifle for less than the cost of a new action much less a "bargain" off the rack new rifle.

To give you decent advice you really need to give us more information.

Purpose of the rifle? Targets, hunting, If hunting what game and at what range?

At least a ballpark of what you are willing to spend.

Otherwise there's as many answers as people answering and probably a lot more and so many options as to leave one looking like they've been slapped in the face with a dead carp.

If you truly want to do a build then you're better off starting with a beat up old *** from a pawnshop, estate sale, garage sale, yard sale or even flea market.

All you really want is the action and you can usually buy a whole used rifle for less than the cost of a new action much less a "bargain" off the rack new rifle.

To give you decent advice you really need to give us more information.

Purpose of the rifle? Targets, hunting, If hunting what game and at what range?

At least a ballpark of what you are willing to spend.

Otherwise there's as many answers as people answering and probably a lot more and so many options as to leave one looking like they've been slapped in the face with a dead carp.
Deer hunting and shooting Steel. You hit the nail on the head, I want to start with a pawn shop queen. Something I would not think twice about heading to the woods with.

I would like to reuse what I can. I love wood shocks, if the donor came with one that could be saved. Clean it up and bed it.

This first rifle is more about learning how to do it and did I enjoy doing it than the rifle it's self. Don't get me wrong, I do want a accurate rifle in the end but it can be ugly from a learning moment or two.

WYOHTF-"This got a little windy, it's my passion. And I'm just cuttin' my teeth on the build thing. Funnest most stressful thing (read decisions) I've ever done". I am confident in my abilities, but I will admit, I shot my Savage build for the first time a few days ago and I did use a 10ft string to set it off the first time. All was great though after that.

WYOHTF-"This got a little windy, it's my passion. And I'm just cuttin' my teeth on the build thing. Funnest most stressful thing (read decisions) I've ever done". I am confident in my abilities, but I will admit, I shot my Savage build for the first time a few days ago and I did use a 10ft string to set it off the first time. All was great though after that.
The first gun I had re barreled was done by an X-caliber employee (X drywall partner and friend).

I watched some videos, ordered a go-gauge and took the barrel on and off a few times. Then went out to some BLM land and strapped it down to Caldwell sled. My string was a tad longer I think.

It was spooky- now it's n big deal

It's tough. A Tikka action is great to build on, but at that price point you could just get a Mac Bros Evo action.
Thankyou,

I've learned something new and it isn't even time for another pot of coffee yet.

Had no idea these guys even existed!
Do ya have any experiences with them ?

The price point is crazy

I've had a lot of success stories/feedback from guys assembling budget savage axis builds from the stripped receivers we have.

Boyds stocks, preferred prefit barrel's. For a DIY'er this is a fun little project!