LGS donor rifle for a build

Let me start by saying this is a first time attempt at a build on a budget research. Based on what I learn here I have two possible directions to go. I want a Quarter bore most likely a 25-06 and I have no magnums so a magnum is a possibility. Faster twist rate than factory barrels preferred.
Hunting and shooting steel primary use. Currently 200 yards is the max range but I am looking for a place to stretch it out further.

When you are looking for a donor gun/action:
What brand and model do you look for and why?
What price range are you willing to pay?
What barrel manufacturers pre-fit barrel falls into a budget build?
What else do you consider?
Thank you for your input.
I've read through the posts and they all have great suggestions with valid points.
Now for my 2 cents..LOL
I went through this.I was fortunate to not have a budget,but at the same time I didn't know ****.So I read allI could.I didn't want to waste alit of money if I m eased up.Ive always been a Remington 700 fan.
And later on I built .ire expensive custom rifles.
So on my 1st build I picked up a used Bergara Premier Pro from an estate sale really cheap.I went with Begara because of the CHANGABLE BOLT HEAD and it worked out well.I used a Brux barrel.I took it to my friend that is a machinist and gunsmith and has a wall full of shoiting trophies and plaques.So he knew what I needed and wanted even when I didn't.
So I vote Bergara Premier Pro which already has an awesome TriggerTechTrigger.My 2nd build h as a Jewel also I like Timney.
Bergara Premier Pro is their higher e n d factory stuff I picked up the almost new rifle for 300.00 and sold the scope for 3 times what I paid for the gun and scope.So I had surplus money to spend.
My Vote Bergara Premier Pro. Good Luck.
But the cheapest way to go hands down is the Savage.

Attachments

• IMG_4678(1).jpg
    IMG_4678(1).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4684(1).jpg
    IMG_4684(1).jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 57
Quarter bore here in process.

Bought a SS Rem 338 Win Mag
Bought Rock Creek CF barrel fast twist 26in sedero taper
Trigger tech trigger
GRS Berzerk stock (3rd one I really like them)
Reamer and gages from Manson for 257 WTBY to shoot Black Jack bullets

All in about 2100 have not received GS bill but it wont be bad hes a good friend I keep his **** box truck running and he takes care of the gun smith stuff I cannot, I'm guessing 4-5 hundred but we will see.

I have more in the scope going on this than in the rifle so hopefully it shoots as well as I want...

If you're wanting a 25-06 pick up a used Savage long action rifle and a good barrel, cheap and accurate. I put together two last year, 260 and a 22-250, both using Shilen Select SS barrels. Both shoot fantastic, and are very easy to clean.

Let me start by saying this is a first time attempt at a build on a budget research. Based on what I learn here I have two possible directions to go. I want a Quarter bore most likely a 25-06 and I have no magnums so a magnum is a possibility. Faster twist rate than factory barrels preferred.
Hunting and shooting steel primary use. Currently 200 yards is the max range but I am looking for a place to stretch it out further.

When you are looking for a donor gun/action:
What brand and model do you look for and why?
What price range are you willing to pay?
What barrel manufacturers pre-fit barrel falls into a budget build?
What else do you consider?
Thank you for your input.
This is the most cost effective way to go on a budget rifle by using a Savage.
Disregard the 33XC..just saying g a Sa c age gives you more cost effective choices as per your questions.
Good Luck

Attachments

• IMG_4677(1).jpg
    IMG_4677(1).jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4678(1).jpg
    IMG_4678(1).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_4684(1).jpg
    IMG_4684(1).jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 49
I'm a remington fan. RemAge could be a good way to go although chamber wall could be thin on magnums. I'm looking a a (Switch Lug) system. Simply loosen locking screw on recoil lug, unscrew barrel, screw on other barrel, and retighten set screw on recoil lug.

i did a budget build with a remage style barrel a few years ago. cabelas had a $100 rebate on remington 700 ADL's. i sold the factory barrel and recoil lug on here so i was only in the action about $250. i made a barrel vise with some metal i had in the garage. had to buy headspace gauges and an action wrench. i also upgraded the recoil lug to a badger lug. i've built numerous AR's but this was my first bolt gun.

I am a complete novice and know just enough to blow myself up. Fortunately, I have not yet. I still have my face and and all my digits. I have done a couple of remage builds and a savage build. Remage is a little easier because you don't have to strip the bolt down as far. When I did the savage, I ended up having to buy an extractor/ejector kit. My most recent build is a rem 700 in 308. Walmart had their rem700's on clearance a few years ago for $275. I was stupid and only bought one. Came back later that afternoon and they didn't have anymore. Found a remage 308 barrel for $60 on ebay. Someone had rethreaded a factory barrel to remage threads. Bought a barrel nut for $25. Bought the older/heavier version of the greyboe outlander for $200. Bought a timney trigger from midwayUsa on a black friday sale for $125. I have somewhere in the neighborhood of $750 total after taxes, TIC, and shipping not including scope and mounts. I have put probably 50 rounds down the barrel with no issues. It shoots cheap 180gr corelokts MOA if not sub MOA. Took it pig hunting and killed 4 hogs in 3 shots. Its my new favorite.

Finalize the caliber choice first. IMHO if a long action chambering that rules out a Savage. I'm working on such a thing right now (LA Savage) and it's had it's pains that wouldn't exist if it were a 700. Stock choice is the first biggie.

Pac-Nor, McGowen, & others also do "Remage" barrels & nuts.

If a blind mag is OK or you're going to use an aftermarket bottom metal then usually the ADL's go for less than BDL's do. Buy for mechanical condition, not cosmetic condition. A shot-out barrel only means the the firing pin mechanism has a lot of cycles on it, and not much more.

Finalize the caliber choice first. IMHO if a long action chambering that rules out a Savage. I'm working on such a thing right now (LA Savage) and it's had it's pains that wouldn't exist if it were a 700. Stock choice is the first biggie.

If a blind mag is OK or you're going to use an aftermarket bottom metal then usually the ADL's go for less than BDL's do. Buy for mechanical condition, not cosmetic condition. A shot-out barrel only means the the firing pin mechanism has a lot of cycles on it, and not much more.
I disagree with your post sir, it's never been better for Savage. I'd like to thank some of the members on here for helping me discover all the options out there- Thanks Fellas 😎

There are several more choices probably again as many as I posted.

And Savage is leading the pre fit market by a wide margin, at least for now
And with their new straight pull actions barrel mounting system, it's only a short time away that a switch barrel setup for these will storm the market. Hahahaha 🤠

I have done a few Savage's now, it's simple. Currently have 3 Barrels on order. I'm building triplets for my three kids. Only difference is one will be on a southpaw.

Savage actions are very forgiving. A couple basic tools and your off and shooting. The aftermarket stock options are getting pretty good, Manners offers a few models and MDT and XLR both offer chassis styles in both long and short action.

Barrel choices are huge for Savage. Probably the biggest for pre fits, but that is changing and will most likely even out.

Tikka is another solid choice and don't forget about Howa-Vanguard actions, pre fit market is growing for them too.

You mentioned not having a magnum and a good choice for a short action magnum(If you reload or have someone that can) my recommendation would be a 25 SST which is based off the 7mm SAUM case.
You could also do the 25 SAUM or 25 PRC.
You may already know about these cartridges, just trying to fill in the blanks

X-caliber has great barrels but you have to pick from their reamer list

Preferred Barrels has a huge selection of chambers and I have read great reviews,
They also have most of the Sherman reamers if you chose that route(25 SST).

You mentioned the 25-06 and if you went with the Ackley Improved, that's about as good as it vacant get in a long action without getting crazy.

This got a little windy, it's my passion. And I'm just cuttin' my teeth on the build thing. Funnest most stressful thing (read decisions) I've ever done. Well- 😅

I have done a few Savage's now, it's simple. Currently have 3 Barrels on order. I'm building triplets for my three kids. Only difference is one will be on a southpaw.

Savage actions are very forgiving. A couple basic tools and your off and shooting. The aftermarket stock options are getting pretty good, Manners offers a few models and MDT and XLR both offer chassis styles in both long and short action.

Barrel choices are huge for Savage. Probably the biggest for pre fits, but that is changing and will most likely even out.

Tikka is another solid choice and don't forget about Howa-Vanguard actions, pre fit market is growing for them too.

You mentioned not having a magnum and a good choice for a short action magnum(If you reload or have someone that can) my recommendation would be a 25 SST which is based off the 7mm SAUM case.
You could also do the 25 SAUM or 25 PRC.
You may already know about these cartridges, just trying to fill in the blanks

X-caliber has great barrels but you have to pick from their reamer list

Preferred Barrels has a huge selection of chambers and I have read great reviews,
They also have most of the Sherman reamers if you chose that route(25 SST).

You mentioned the 25-06 and if you went with the Ackley Improved, that's about as good as it vacant get in a long action without getting crazy.

This got a little windy, it's my passion. And I'm just cuttin' my teeth on the build thing. Funnest most stressful thing (read decisions) I've ever done. Well- 😅
What savage actions have you used? Anything to look for in particular? Model 10, 110, axis. Or other?

Why do you say SAVAGE is ruled out for a LONG ACTION? The Savage 110 ##* Lapua is a Long Action Rifle.

What savage actions have you used? Anything to look for in particular? Model 10, 110, axis. Or other?
I've done both the 110 and 10, and a 111
They are all plug and play.
Make sure they are too bolt release, stocks seem easier to find, chassis models doesn't matter that way. The caveat with atop bolt release I. The chassis model is that you don't need a piece of heavy wire to remove the bolt. This would com into play w/SA and heavy for caliber bullets.
Say like a SAUM or Sherman SS or Max and single loading. With a conventional stock either wouldn't matter.

One more bit of advice…. If ya go the Magnum route, and want a SAUM, 6.5PRC or WSM based case regardless of Saami or Wild Cat, get a WSM action if you can. This is if you are going with a conventional stock, which will limit you to two in the clip. Bottom metal is a small issue with the Savage builds
Here is a way out of it

They make a long action version too
PTG also has the bolt heads, they are a bit more expensive than OEM but worth it, IMO

Hope this helps. It takes about 20 minutes for me to strip a Savage bolt completely , and clean it. Re lube and put back together.

Get this lift kit for the bolt too, if ya need help with any of this I can help ya through it with FaceTime, hahaha
But there are lots of YouTube vids as well, that's how I got it figured out.

Pm me if you need any help, I'm no pro- just really good at repeating what I see. There are some Jackwagons putting out some crap so be careful who you fallow.

Lapping lugs, full pillar bedding, floating barrel and trigger work is were the magic happens, but this should be done to most all stocked rigs.

@TXTrained
I believe they were stating that long action aftermarket sticks were not readily available.
Which was true just a few years ago

I may be wrong though

Last edited: